Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need guidance, please help!
Hi all,

I have been cracking away at my degree between the CC credits I've taken and testing out. I will attach what I have so far. I am wondering how to finish everything up by March 2017. Please help! I have also been considering transfering to TESU, but at this point I feel like that would set me back. I just want to finish so I can get a masters from COSC!

PLEASE NOTE THAT BUSINESS LAW AND INFO SYSTEMS CLEPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED JUST NOT REFLECTED ON TRANSCRIPT YET.

I plan on taking the civil war and soviet union DSSTs as well as a Labor relations UEXCEL, but i have read that these exams are pretty tough. I am going to try to get a waiver for the science course because the comm college waived it since I am and engineer and have 3+ years of labe experience.

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">classes taken.pdf (Size: 301.25 KB / Downloads: 0)
If they won't waive the science it is easy to pick up. Since you have a background in that field, you could do a Study.com or Straighterline course in a day if you put your mind to it. Or Saylor Academy has a Biology and a Chemistry class- just pay the $25 cost of the proctor.

I'm studying for DSST Civil War with Instantcert and Study.com. Labor Reations is on my maybe list. If so I will use Instantcert/Study.com. I want to do Soviet Union too. I'm having trouble finding inexpensive study materials. Word on the forums is the Soviet Union Instantcert flashcards are out of date. Study.com has no Soviet Union course. I have found books but they are expensive.

If I were you, I would get a month of College Accelerator from Study.com. That way you could pick up three LL credits, maybe fill the science or the global understanding requirement, and get the six upper level credits available- Advanced Technical Writing and Advanced Operations Management.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
Can you tell me more about the college accelerator program through study.com? I've been trying to research the program but can't find much. Does COSC accept these credits? What are the courses/tests like? Would those upper level credits cover the requirements that the 2 DSSTs I mentioned were going to satisfy? I'd talk to COSC advising about this but I am finding them increasingly dismissive/rude as time goes on.
You can see how COSC will accept Study.com courses here:

Study.com - Charter Oak State College

Click on the subject area to see courses.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
College Accelerator is $200 for one month. You get two exams, each additional exam within the month is $70. So, if you do more than the two exams per month, you could come out slightly ahead money wise. And you don't need to buy any extra study materials. Not sure about the requirements.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
I am guessing that upper level credits are what you need most, since you need 30 total and mostly you have used CC credits. It is hard to tell how many you have so far. I really, really, really hate that the advising sheet at COSC always shows 0 upper level credits earned when this is not the case. They need to fix this!!!

I agree with the earlier post that Advanced Technical Writing (UL Liberal Arts) and Advanced Operations Management (UL Business Elective) from Study.com are great UL options. Substance Abuse DSST and Civil War DSST are good UL Liberal Arts credits. The Vietnam War DSST or Soviet Union DSST would take care of the global understanding general ed. req. and are UL. Some pricey but good options for upper level business electives are Sophia's Project Management and Penn Foster business courses that are ACE approved as UL.

If you don't get the science requirement waived, a lab from Straighterline is the best option that I know of. You can pair that with the course from SL or another science course or exam.

Once you get your business credits, LA credits, and UL credits, take free FEMA credits for the rest of your free electives to get to 120 total credits.
I have been told by COSC advising that the do not accept study.com upper level credits as upper level credits for Advanced Technical Writing (UL Liberal Arts) and Advanced Operations Management (UL Business Elective).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some guidance rfisher1977 0 707 04-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: rfisher1977
Big Grin TESU guidance needed please Tripletmom 8 1,873 03-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Math - Looking for Guidance Gloddy 4 1,259 12-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: bsimi
  AA or BA guidance cookderosa 4 1,667 09-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Tesu ba psychology course guidance needed please lovewins 8 2,487 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS degree help/guidance! interocitor 2 1,042 05-29-2017, 01:05 PM
  Capstone registration guidance please :D Notgodot 4 1,320 05-18-2017, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Synicaal
  Need a bit of guidance TESU BSBA in International Lagspeed 3 911 03-14-2017, 10:03 PM
  TESU: Assistance and Guidance. Fortune212 13 1,582 11-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Last Post: ajs1976
  In search of guidance, Bachelors for military FutureGrad 11 2,185 10-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning