Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASNSM in CS vs. AAS in Applied Computer Studies
ASNSM in Computer Science vs. AAS in Applied Computer Studies

Is one of these degrees more prestigious than the other for someone looking to add a quick associate on the way to a BS in Software Development? I'm trying to boost the chance of getting an internship for my son and he is very close to both of these degrees. We need the financial help to continue to pay for his studies and he needs the experience even more. The competition for good internships is fierce.

Any help explaining the differences in the AOS and degree as a whole would be appreciated.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
The ASNSM in CS is going to have more theory and more math and science, while the AAS will be more practical (applied) in nature. I would be more impressed with the CS degree. The same thing goes for the BS in Software Development being more applied than a Bachelor's in CS, but to a lesser degree. The difference is probably small after you have 5 years of experience under your belt, but some jobs (biotech, aerospace, artificial intelligence, etc...) might be permanently out of reach without the math and theory you would get with the CS degree.

Note: I was a successful software engineer for 30+ years without a degree at all before I got mine at TESU.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • mudball
I would go for the ASNSM in CS, since those courses will fit better in your AOS for SWD. The applied courses may not fit int the CS AOS, and may even have to be moved to Free Electives once you get to that point.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • mudball
I haven't checked the requirements fully for individual courses required, but... I think...
The ASNSM CS is the clear winner in this bout. The reasons are four-fold.

1) Cheaper, associates capstone is not a required course, transfer everything in!
2) Easier, courses are similar to the Applied Comp Studies and "easier" to find using ACE/NCCRS or from the CC
3) Faster, can take several courses at the CC or complete them with CLEP/DSST/TECEP, Saylor/SL/Study.com
4) Better - I can ladder into the Bachelors and sounds better with a Science degree vs an Applied degree
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • mudball
(11-28-2017, 07:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I haven't checked the requirements fully for individual courses required, but... I think...
The ASNSM CS is the clear winner in this bout.  The reasons are four-fold.

2) Easier, courses are similar to the Applied Comp Studies and "easier" to find using ACE/NCCRS or from the CC
3) Faster, can take several courses at the CC or complete them with CLEP/DSST/TECEP, Saylor/SL/Study.com

These two are not true. Applied computer studies is the more flexible degree; it accepts just about any computer-related course. Applied computer studies has no specific course requirements other than the capstone. The theory courses in the ASNSM are harder to find and will be more expensive. The advantage of the ASNSM is that it doesn't have an expensive capstone. Other than the capstone, the ASNSM has no advantage (unless you count computer science being a better title than applied computer studies). If the OP wanted to major in computer science, then the ASNSM would have another advantage since you'll be required to knock out some of the theory and math, but software development doesn't require most of those courses.

You can choose courses for the AAS that will transfer into whatever degree you're looking at. To be honest, some of the ASNSM courses that you have to take don't have a place in the software development program if WGU is the school the OP is looking at. WGU's software development program is very different from a computer science program. The math and theory courses might be helpful to you, but if you were to go straight into WGU's program, you wouldn't get any of that stuff. Apparently, WGU doesn't think those courses are necessary. The only math courses they require are college algebra and statistics. And, their science requirements are very basic. They're what you'll see in their non-IT programs.

This is sort of unrelated, but TESU has a knack for long, unnecessary degree titles. The ASNSM degrees should just be AS degrees in mathematics, computer science, and biology. When I apply for jobs, I type out the whole degree title because no one is going to know what ASNSM means. The natural science and mathematics part is so unnecessary. This implies that it's a general natural science and mathematics degree with a concentration, but this isn't true. My biology degree required your normal general education requirements and biology courses. I didn't have to take any advanced math courses or any sciences other than biology.

The Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology is another stupid and unnecessary degree title. Just call it a BS in IT and call it a day.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • a2jc4life, mudball
Thank you so much. this is all helpful. I didn't realize only one of them required the capstone. This is good news.
For some reason, I can't seem to find where it shows the specific classes needed for the AOS in the ASNSM in CS.
Does anyone know? The only thing I see is 16 credits needed for the AOS: Computer Science. For example is the AOS for the CS any CIS, COS, IT, CAP class? Are there other things in the AOS, like more math classes?

Would any of these fit into the AOS?
CSU: Basic Programming CBE, Programming I, Programming II.
Study.com: Info syst & comp app, Intro to computing, pre Calc
TEEX: CS for everyone, CS for business Prof
Hodges: Hardware support essentials, Computer applications, Hardware and operating systems
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
It looks like they changed ASNSM-CS from the last time I looked at it. It used to require Calc I and II, 9 credits of Theory, plus 9 of CS electives. Now for the 2017 catalog, it just says 16 credits of CS electives and just the regular 3 credits of math (could be college algebra) that the other degrees require.

CS Electives will come from COS and CIS only. You may wish to have an eye on the BACS requirements as you pick what to take. In particular, you may want to have some UL (300/400) choices in there, or you may find yourself with more LL courses than will fit in the BACS AOS later
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(11-29-2017, 05:18 PM)davewill Wrote: CS Electives will come from COS and CIS only. You may wish to have an eye on the BACS requirements as you pick what to take. In particular, you may want to have some UL (300/400) choices in there, or you may find yourself with more LL courses than will fit in the BACS AOS later

Although CIS and COS courses are considered NatScience at TESU, so will fit into different areas of Gen Ed later on as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-29-2017, 05:18 PM)davewill Wrote: It looks like they changed ASNSM-CS from the last time I looked at it. It used to require Calc I and II, 9 credits of Theory, plus 9 of CS electives. Now for the 2017 catalog, it just says 16 credits of CS electives and just the regular 3 credits of math (could be college algebra) that the other degrees require.

CS Electives will come from COS and CIS only. You may wish to have an eye on the BACS requirements as you pick what to take. In particular, you may want to have some UL (300/400) choices in there, or you may find yourself with more LL courses than will fit in the BACS AOS later

What does it say in OSS? The website isn't working right now, and I'm not sure if I can still log in now that I've graduated. What it says in OSS is what ultimately counts. With the ASNSM in Biology, I know that the catalog did not list the actual requirements. It made it appear that all you needed were 16 credits in anything labeled as biology, but that wasn't actually the case. You needed biology II with lab and a certain number of credits of biology courses that counted as "theory." If the OP doesn't have access to OSS, then he or she may not know the actual requirements.

To the OP, does he want a BA in Computer Science, or is his main goal a BS in Software Development? Is the plan to even complete a bachelor's at TESU?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Of course I checked in OSS. My old 2014 ASNSM-CS eval is still there with the extra math and theory, a freshly run eval has the 16 credits of CS. If he goes elsewhere for a bachelor's,, it's even more important to have an eye to whatever requirements he might be subject to. The TESU BACS at least has those 27 credits of free electives to put things into.

[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • mudball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,023 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,876 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,847 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 536 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 1,815 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 748 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,118 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill