Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accepted into WGU MSML and UTPB MBA
This will be a long thread!

Thanks to this forum I discovered TAMUC's BAAS program which I successfully completed this Summer, my entire goal with this journey from the start was to get a Master's degree, so I had been eyeing WGU's offerings. My main goal is to also spend as little as possible due to financial constraints.

I got accepted into WGU's MSML which I plan on completing in one term (I completed my entire BAAS in 8 months starting from zero credits, so I am confident I can do this.)

I plan on starting the MBA program at UTPB either in the Spring or Summer 2023 semester, after the WGU program. I applied now because they are still waiving the GMAT requirement, I think due to Covid but I am not sure, so I wanted to get in while I could. I want to do this program because of its AACSB accreditation, the UT brand (in Texas it's a big deal) and the fact that with in-state tuition it's one of the cheapest MBAs. 

Questions-
Do I have to tell UTPB about my WGU MSML?
Debating between the general MBA and the MBA with Analytics concentration -- I have been thinking of pushing my career towards Data Analytics (I am a project manager) and have been pursuing online materials about it, I am currently doing the Google Data Analytics Certificate course. 

Thanks for your input and thanks to this forum for all the support along my journey!!
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 2 users Like mohelena02's post:
  • rachel83az, teejayb
IMO, if you're interested in Analytics, and can handle the coursework, there are no downsides to getting an MBA with Analytics concentration. An MBA w/ Analytics can (AFAIK) serve just as well as a generic MBA. On the other hand, an MBA with no concentrations won't be of any use if you apply to jobs that want Analytics.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • mohelena02
(08-24-2022, 08:53 AM)rachel83az Wrote: IMO, if you're interested in Analytics, and can handle the coursework, there are no downsides to getting an MBA with Analytics concentration. An MBA w/ Analytics can (AFAIK) serve just as well as a generic MBA. On the other hand, an MBA with no concentrations won't be of any use if you apply to jobs that want Analytics.

Thank you! I plan on taking the MBA slowly so I am 95% sure I will pursue the analytics one!
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
The field of analytics is a tough field to get into without extensive knowledge of statistics and so forth. If you are seriously interested in analytics, I'd recommend a Business Analytics program or a Statistics program. Learn Python (Numpy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, etc.) and all thinks supervised and unsupervised learning wise. Feel free to PM me with questions but I'd avoid both programs if serious about analytics.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
What's UTPB?
(08-24-2022, 10:57 AM)ss20ts Wrote: What's UTPB?

The University of Texas Permian Basin

Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-24-2022, 11:05 AM)mohelena02 Wrote:

You doing this in person?  I was unaware that UTPB had an analytics program online.  Rio Grande Valley does…
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(08-24-2022, 11:21 AM)freeloader Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 11:05 AM)mohelena02 Wrote:

You doing this in person?  I was unaware that UTPB had an analytics program online.  Rio Grande Valley does…

It's not really an analytics program, its just two analytics courses attached to the MBA - they don't seem that intense either, based on what I am seeing.

I will be doing it fully remote!
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
First off, congrats!

Second, to answer your questions:

No, I don't see why. I don't see a benefit either way. 

Debating between the general MBA and the MBA with Analytics concentration -- I have been thinking of pushing my career towards Data Analytics (I am a project manager) and have been pursuing online materials about it, I am currently doing the Google Data Analytics Certificate course.
If you can get an MBA with specialization, do it! They don't all offer them. UTPB is a good school and AACSB accredited - some people may not be as familiar with it down the line if you ever relocate - so the specialization will give them another anchor point to determine the relevancy of your degree. That aside, it's worth the two course just to see if you like the topic. You could always get an MS in that area if you like it or want to pursue that career further. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience at UTPB's MBA program - that's one I'm considering too!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowabunga Dude's post:
  • mohelena02
(08-27-2022, 07:23 AM)Cowabunga Dude Wrote: First off, congrats!

Second, to answer your questions:

No, I don't see why. I don't see a benefit either way. 

If you can get an MBA with specialization, do it! They don't all offer them. UTPB is a good school and AACSB accredited - some people may not be as familiar with it down the line if you ever relocate - so the specialization will give them another anchor point to determine the relevancy of your degree. That aside, it's worth the two course just to see if you like the topic. You could always get an MS in that area if you like it or want to pursue that career further. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience at UTPB's MBA program - that's one I'm considering too!

Thank you for your response! I am looking forward to this degree and am excited to be in the UT System!
I won't start this program till next year but I will keep this forum updated.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
[-] The following 2 users Like mohelena02's post:
  • Cowabunga Dude, Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,746 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI MAOL vs WGU MSML? Jwheels27 29 4,893 06-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 5,037 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  WGU MSML and MBA Sb2013 11 1,793 03-06-2023, 01:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,291 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! jsd 145 44,516 01-11-2023, 05:10 PM
Last Post: 9yeire
  Case of non-research Master not accepted for Phd study at OZ Universities durain 5 1,248 08-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  WGU MSML vs UMPI MOAL vs UMass MOAL mohelena02 4 1,793 06-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  ACCEPTED INTO MBA PROGRAM!! FMitchell5036 44 8,267 10-03-2021, 08:10 AM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? Mikevalek 11 6,845 07-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: eLearner