Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Additional degrees, just because?
Since TESC will grant 2 associate degrees, along with 2 bachelors is it advisable to get the extra degrees?

I already have AAS (listed in sig), working on BS degree, however I am already eligible for the AA degree but not sure if and how it would or could benefit me. I'm a few classes short of the ASNMS via either Bio or Math but the classes I lack aren't necessary for the BSAST degree but would be more noticeable than just another AA.

Any advice or thoughts welcome!
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
BSAST Health Services Technology 2012
AA General Ed 2012
AAS Medical Laboratory Technician HCC 1994

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
An AA is pretty insignificant, so I wouldn't bother- just focus on the bachelor's. Furthermore, I wouldn't bother with a second bachelor's unless there is some tangible benefit from it.
Hi Hkhart,

I find it is actually a personal career/educational growth choice. What is good for one individual may not be the same for another. Quite a few on the boards (and at the school) said to go direct from bachelors to a grad program but I am so glad I chose a different direction.

I decided upon multiple degrees because I have two main areas of interest, clin research/medical affs and business. I made a conscious decision to earn undergrad degrees that would allow access and growth (career and education) in both those areas.

But more to the point it is very affordable to earn multiple degrees at TESC. If I had gone to one of the B&M schools here in NJ, I would have only completed one bachelor’s degree and moved to the next level. Instead, thanks to TESC, I earned four for less than the price of one. I am so thankful to my colleagues for recommending the school!

Good luck in whatever direction you choose!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I am working on an MBA and a BA Natural Science/Math at the same time.
But I agree that you should concentrate on your bachelors first.
In my opinion, an intermediate associates is not really helpful.
You may only require 6 more months to complete the bachelors anyway.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
hkhart Wrote:Since TESC will grant 2 associate degrees, along with 2 bachelors is it advisable to get the extra degrees?

I already have AAS (listed in sig), working on BS degree, however I am already eligible for the AA degree but not sure if and how it would or could benefit me. I'm a few classes short of the ASNMS via either Bio or Math but the classes I lack aren't necessary for the BSAST degree but would be more noticeable than just another AA.

Any advice or thoughts welcome!

My suggestion, get any and all undergrad degrees before you get your first BA - in other words, instead of doing 2 BAs one after the other, do them at the same time (and AAs too) because if you qualify for Pell Grant money, that's good forever- until you get that first BA then it's over forever. Just a thought.
If you're doing it for fun and enjoyment and don't mind spending extra time and perhaps money, do what makes you happy.

From a career perspective, I agree totally that for most situations, most associates degrees don't help all that much, although there are many on this forum that can totally prove me wrong. It's really an individual thing, but at least from my perspective in the business world, an associates wouldn't matter.

I also have mixed feelings about the multiple undergrads. I do think it's a good idea and may eventually do it... for fun. I like testing and if I'm not totally burned out on education once I finish the MBA, I may do another undergrad just for the heck of it.

I think that you always need to plan ahead for interviews and as someone who's been interviewing for several years now, I would just advise having an explanation about why your degree path makes you a better candidate. My first question if I saw someone that had several undergraduate degrees, but no masters listed on their resume would be "Why did you spend so much time at the undergrad level without advancing?" As long as you've got a good answer for this and can sound like you've had a purpose to your educational path, that's all that matters. As Bricabrac pointed out, it's really a personal decision.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I'm only getting the AAS in Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies because I already have all the requirements. It's something extra to add to my resume that is different from the BA in Social Science I will be getting at the same time.
I am looking at getting a second BS. First, after talking to a rep from TESC, I am only 18 credit hours away from accomplishing that feat. Second, if I get out of the Air Force I may not be able to get a job in training and development which is what my first BS is in. I am looking at getting a BSAST with a concentration in aviation. With this BSAST and my military background being in aeronautics, this will definitely give me more options and marketability. To each his own. I am definitely going to begin my path to graduate degree in 2012. I just want to be as marketable as I can be as of Independence Day 2012, which is also my seperation date.
06-20-2011 DSST Astronomy - 61
06-28-2011 CLEP Humanities - 62
07-07-2011 DSST Principles of Statistics - 427
07-11-2011 DSST Intro to World Religion - 464
07-18-2011 DSST Prin. of Public Speaking - 62
08-04-2011 DSST Environment and Humanity - 62
08-16-2011 CLEP Social Sciences and History - 65

AAS Aviation Maintenance Technology - Community College of the Air Force (August 2011)
AAS Education and Training Management - Community College of the Air Force (October 2014)
BS Workforce Education and Development - Southern Illinois University Carbondale(October 2011)
MA Information Technology Management - Webster University (May 2013)
MA Master of Human Resources Management - Webster University (May 2014)
rhapsody - I like your approach. I too wanted a science oriented bachelors degree since my MBA in Applied Computer Science and eventual PhD are in business. I am a much more technical and scientific-minded person than the typical MBA so I wanted to have some recognition of that on my resume.
I would also like to teach science and computer courses in the future.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
stevenson Wrote:At this point we can assume that you are fully comforable with the concept of earning your degree via distance learning and independent study. ...

I don't know if this was directed at me, but most of my BS was done at a SIU campus here in Charleston, SC. Also, one of the reps for the whole southeast from TESC is here as well. Much of my degree was not distance learning, but classes I actually went to. I took classes through Park University (Charleston campus), Limestone College (Charleston campus), and Southern Illinois University (Charleston campus). SIU only allows 30 credit hours of CLEP/DSST credits. They do not take ECE exams. Also, certain classes that you HAVE to take for UCC credit, and you have to take all the classes to fulfill the 36 credit hour major requirement. Had I known about TESC or others I may have chose a different path, especially considering I haven't failed a CLEP/DSST yet.
06-20-2011 DSST Astronomy - 61
06-28-2011 CLEP Humanities - 62
07-07-2011 DSST Principles of Statistics - 427
07-11-2011 DSST Intro to World Religion - 464
07-18-2011 DSST Prin. of Public Speaking - 62
08-04-2011 DSST Environment and Humanity - 62
08-16-2011 CLEP Social Sciences and History - 65

AAS Aviation Maintenance Technology - Community College of the Air Force (August 2011)
AAS Education and Training Management - Community College of the Air Force (October 2014)
BS Workforce Education and Development - Southern Illinois University Carbondale(October 2011)
MA Information Technology Management - Webster University (May 2013)
MA Master of Human Resources Management - Webster University (May 2014)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,717 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,792 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 4,560 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Any spreadsheets for Associate's degrees? xjarhead1999 20 4,019 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Last Post: xjarhead1999
  Help In getting a Degree/Degrees former Navy Rustydroid 8 1,874 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU - New Certificates/Degrees (IT)! bjcheung77 8 1,963 11-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  What big-3 degrees can be earned with just Shmoop.com courses? Pelican 2 2,877 11-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Associate Degrees at TESU rlw74 5 1,772 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Where can I find a list of TESC degrees that I can test out of entirely? anox 14 3,018 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Last Post: anox