Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed, making time for uni work.
Hi all, haven't posted in a while.

As you might be aware, I graduated high school last year and started my job as well as my uni journey this year and I kind of just wanted to make a rant/advice post on my current situation.

I've been finding it very difficult to focus on my studies since starting my job.

Just a refresher, I moved into a new apartment the end of December, then I started my job as a systems analyst on the 9th of Jan this year. I initially gave myself January "off" to focus on my job, so that I could build a respectable reputation for myself within the company, especially considering my age. I was well received and so far I've been having a decent-to-great time at work.

Since then I've also registered my own company, which is an educational company where I do consulting and specialized tutoring (kids with dyslexia/learning disabilities) both online and in-person, as I have my boss' permission to use our training center as a tutoring center for as long as I work there. (After-hours of course). My full-time job is from 7am-4pm. I usually "run" my business after-hours.

On top of this our CEO, IT Director and I are busy with registering ANOTHER separate company (equal 3 way "shares" 33.33%), for an app that were busy working on that we expect could do very very well in our market. 

Most days I only get "home" around 7:30-8:00. By the time I'm done making food, cleaning my flat, making my dog's food, night-time routine (shower, etc.) its already 10/11. Considering I wake up at 5AM, I can't afford to put even just another hour of uni work within my days schedule. I can honestly say that in the last three months, I haven't even gotten the chance to watch a single episode of any of my series', because I genuinely just don't have the time to.

I just don't know what to do. I think the part that honestly BREAKS me the most is the fact that I'm putting my ALL into this. Literally everything I have and I literally get paid less in an entire year compared to an American 16 year old working as a waiter in some random restaurant. 

The hard reality is that even if I put my all into this, I'll never make enough money to even just go outside of my country. I physically could never be able to afford an average "American life". It's just really demotivating if I'm being honest.

Anyways, if you have literally any advice as to how I can focus more time on my uni work, I would love to here it. Because in the past 3 months, the only thing I've done is like 10% of a coursera course. 

At this point I'm honestly regretting the fact that I didn't just go to UCT. I feel like I'm wasting my life.
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
Sounds like you have to make a choice. BTW, there's nothing really wrong with working hard for a while to try and grab the brass ring...but if you want a degree, you'll have to cut your working hours back. The first step may be giving up one of the side gigs.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • origamishuttle, studyingfortests
You only have so many hours in a day. You're underpaid - and apparently in at least 2 out of 3 things your doing (and the third is a HUGE question mark on what your payout will be). You have to decide what is important. If the experience is worth being underpaid for the time being to build a resume, fine. If the prospect of a third ownership in a startup excites you, fine. I don't see the value in your educational company if you're putting in a lot of hours for little return unless the altruism is more valuable than time and money. Life is all about tradeoffs and there are no magic secrets to make more of it. You have a ton of options in front of you. If your education is a higher priority, you're going to have to drop something for the time being. If you want to see where your current path will lead you, there's no harm in that either, especially if you're young. I made pennies from about 18-23 and didn't finish a degree until 30 and I have very few regrets.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • origamishuttle
(03-23-2023, 01:04 PM)Personherebb9 Wrote: Hi all, haven't posted in a while.

As you might be aware, I graduated high school last year and started my job as well as my uni journey this year and I kind of just wanted to make a rant/advice post on my current situation.

I've been finding it very difficult to focus on my studies since starting my job.

Just a refresher, I moved into a new apartment the end of December, then I started my job as a systems analyst on the 9th of Jan this year. I initially gave myself January "off" to focus on my job, so that I could build a respectable reputation for myself within the company, especially considering my age. I was well received and so far I've been having a decent-to-great time at work.

Since then I've also registered my own company, which is an educational company where I do consulting and specialized tutoring (kids with dyslexia/learning disabilities) both online and in-person, as I have my boss' permission to use our training center as a tutoring center for as long as I work there. (After-hours of course). My full-time job is from 7am-4pm. I usually "run" my business after-hours.

On top of this our CEO, IT Director and I are busy with registering ANOTHER separate company (equal 3 way "shares" 33.33%), for an app that were busy working on that we expect could do very very well in our market. 

Most days I only get "home" around 7:30-8:00. By the time I'm done making food, cleaning my flat, making my dog's food, night-time routine (shower, etc.) its already 10/11. Considering I wake up at 5AM, I can't afford to put even just another hour of uni work within my days schedule. I can honestly say that in the last three months, I haven't even gotten the chance to watch a single episode of any of my series', because I genuinely just don't have the time to.

I just don't know what to do. I think the part that honestly BREAKS me the most is the fact that I'm putting my ALL into this. Literally everything I have and I literally get paid less in an entire year compared to an American 16 year old working as a waiter in some random restaurant. 

The hard reality is that even if I put my all into this, I'll never make enough money to even just go outside of my country. I physically could never be able to afford an average "American life". It's just really demotivating if I'm being honest.

Anyways, if you have literally any advice as to how I can focus more time on my uni work, I would love to here it. Because in the past 3 months, the only thing I've done is like 10% of a coursera course. 

At this point I'm honestly regretting the fact that I didn't just go to UCT. I feel like I'm wasting my life.

If you had roommates, that would save quite a bit on bills. 

"On top of this our CEO, IT Director and I are busy with registering ANOTHER separate company (equal 3 way "shares" 33.33%)"
It sounds like you are doing well in the company if they trust you enough to form a company with you. With a smaller company, you can learn quite a bit about what it takes to run a small business. 

Freedom comes from financial independence. The more you make, the easier to save and invest.

I don't know how much time you have on the weekends, but if there is some time available, you could study then.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
Even someone as young as you can only keep up that pace for a limited period of time.  Everyone has a limited capacity for stress and I'm guessing that your difficulties with focus/motivation are a signal that you're reaching your limit.  Your mood will slip.  Increased irritability.  Anhedonia.  So, as was said above, it looks like you need to make a decision.  The good news is that it sounds like you're doing pretty well as it is.  Maybe you don't need that degree, at least not at this moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • ss20ts
I think what you need to do really depends on what you actually want. If you still want to leave South Africa ASAP, I don't understand why you're starting/participating in starting multiple companies. That will only complicate things later. If you're no longer planning on leaving SA, the tutoring is useful to the community, perhaps, but is still contributing to your burning the candle from both ends.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
I thought I might add a little bit more information on the situation, so that you can see in what a dilemma I am.

The reason I started the educational company was for three reasons:
1) I needed the extra money. (I'll get into this later).
2) It counts towards tutoring experience for when I apply for teaching positions in Korea.
3) I will eventually "ditch" the tutoring and mainly focus on online consultations for high schoolers, because I actually truly enjoy that work and it's not a lot to be honest.

As for my company, I work at a medium-size logistics company and I have been learning a lot for the most part. Since joining, I've gained significant knowledge in SQL, Geocoding, Cybersecurity, etc. The company also provides me with educational benefits, since I'm technically an employed "student". They give me an educational "allowance" every month, which isn't a lot but it's definitely helping. I also received a full year subscription to coursera for my own personal development.

I've made significant contributions at my work. Management is very pleased with my work and I can honestly say that I've implemented changes and policies that have saved the company a great deal of money.

As for the app, it was my idea and I brought it to our IT director, who then took it to the CEO and that's how that started. I'm currently busy working on a really big geolocation project, but once I'm done with that. My "work" will solely be to focus on this app, along with any assistance I need from our IT team or director. In other words this 3rd company won't have an effect on my hours at all, since that will kind of become my only work.

Now for full transparency: my money issue. Which is why I'm forced to do all of this.

I get a base salary (after tax) of R7250 per month from my full-time job. (less than $400 a month)

My expenses:
1) Rent: R4750 (bachelor flat, that's it). (Left over with R2500)
2) Phone contract: R650 pm (R1 850 left over)
3) Pet insurance: R310 (R1 540 left over)
4) Pet supplies (food and such): R500 (R1 040 left over)
5) Electricity and water: R600 (R440 left over)
6) Petrol: R1 500 (-R1 060 (already in neg))
7) Food: R2 500 (-R3 560)

And thats without ANY extra expenses, no medical aid, no money for socializing, no eating out, literally nothing.

My educational company has a fixed income (at the moment) of around R2 400 (tutor work) and it may vary upwards to about R4 000, depending on how many consultations I get. And I spend less than 10 hours a week on this. I can't "stop" the educational company, because I need that money. I can't focus on "growing it", because I need to work at my job to be able to use the training center. Realistically I could be making x10 what I am now, if I just focused on this educational company, but I can't focus on it without having the training center as a resource.

As for the companies: Once I have my degree, my plan is still to move overseas ASAP. As for my educational company, I'll ditch the tutoring (since my first move is probably to Korea as a teacher) and do the consulting on the side. The app company, the moment it is up and running, I'll remove myself as a "director" and I'll just be a silent shareholder. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I could even still be part of the company even if it is just part-time and remotely.

Yes, I'm being underpaid (by American standards). But that's just the reality of living in South Africa. I should be thankful for my salary, because most people my age and at my education level would just receive minimum wage which is less than R4000 a month.

Yes I'm getting "burnt out", but it's not like I have the luxury to just stop and take a break or even to remove anything off of my workload. I just need to find a way to make time for my uni studies in between, I just don't know how.
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
(03-24-2023, 05:15 AM)Personherebb9 Wrote: Yes I'm getting "burnt out", but it's not like I have the luxury to just stop and take a break or even to remove anything off of my workload. I just need to find a way to make time for my uni studies in between, I just don't know how.

You've been motivated to try for the last three months, and haven't been able to do it. Unless you change the inputs to the equation, you will keep getting the same result.

I'm sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. I'd love to tell you there's some clever way to squeeze more time in, but you said yourself that you can't squeeze even another hour in, and I believe that, given your description. You WILL burn out at this rate.

Maybe it will take a year or two, but it will happen. So figure out a way to trim expenses (I don't know what that can be: adding a roommate, leaning on family, switching from car to bike/public trans, etc...), then rearrange your life according to your goals and your capacity.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • origamishuttle
I recommend you make yourself a goal w/dates chart. Doesn't have to be fancy or complicated.  By now you should have a spreadsheet with all the courses you need/completed - as you can then add goal dates to what remains. Lets say you have 6 courses left with Sophia (sure it is cheaper to try to bang them all out as quick as possible but that isn't feasible for your situation) set a goal of getting done with 2 a month (that is also a good target for Study.com, as that is what is included).  You are your most important project - you need to have SMART Goals (https://www.mindtools.com/a4wo118/smart-goals).  You do not need to dive and get it all done (at once), setting up the goals as tasks to check off one (or two) at a time will keep it from getting overwhelming - and seeing the courses completed even at a slow(er) pace will keep you motivated by seeing yourself get one step closer each month.  Just because you could get the degree done in X amount of time doesn't mean you fail if your personal target time ends up being Y amount of time. This method we use here is more about 'getting that bachelor degree' than just 'getting it done fast' - committing to what is realistic for you (and you alone) is what will get you to the 'done'.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Personherebb9
(03-24-2023, 05:15 AM)Personherebb9 Wrote: Yes, I'm being underpaid (by American standards). But that's just the reality of living in South Africa. I should be thankful for my salary, because most people my age and at my education level would just receive minimum wage which is less than R4000 a month.

The average American will spend around $250 a month on food alone.

Nobody here understands what it's like to survive on mostly rice or flour.

Elon Musk once attempted to live on $1 a day CAD, which is close to $2 a USD day in today's dollars with Biden's inflation.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/21/elon-mus...-food.html
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,325 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 524 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,067 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 440 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Making The Right Move Is Key Kal Di 2 506 06-22-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Would you keep a part time job listed on your LinkedIn Vle045 3 787 04-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 690 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  How to Evaluate Advice (Before Using It) Kal Di 2 763 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin