Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another weird ProctorU issue
On my very first exam with SL using ProctorU, the proctor didn't like the picture of my drivers license, so i had to fiddle with it for 30+ min trying to get her to accept it.
My webcam couldn't focus any clearer.

Screwed around with my cellphone in one hand and the card in the other to try and show it more clearer. Ended up getting my passport instead because it was larger.
Killed my shoulder holding my arm up to the webcam for 30 mins.

Why can't they just make it so that when you take one initial acceptable picture ID it stays on file?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(12-10-2018, 07:52 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I posted awhile back about how ProctorU's proctor turned off my anti virus during a test. I have taken a few tests with them since then with no problems.

Anyway, I just took a final for TESU today, and during the set up the proctor asks you to put your cell phone where they can see it during the test for some reason. I always tell them I don't have a cell phone with me, because I leave it in the other room, and it's always been fine.

So today for some reason, the proctor didn't like that answer, and basically told me to go in the other room and get my cell phone, bring it back into the room where I was taking the test, and put it where he could see it. I thought that was stupid, and said so, and we ended up having a weird argument where he essentially refused to do my test until I went and got my cell phone and showed it to him, and I asked for another proctor instead. 

After a long-ish wait, finally the original proctor came back and said he'd do the test but he was going to have to let TESU know that I had violated procedures by refusing to put my cell phone where he could see it. I asked "so you're going to tell my college that I didn't have a cell phone in the room with me when I took the test?" and he dropped it finally and I took the test without any further problems.

I *assume* that this will not be a problem and that I will graduate the class just fine, but if they disrupt my final grade over me not having a cell phone in the room with me, you guys and everyone else will hear about it.

I had a similar experience with Proctor U. I usually turn off my phone and put it in the closet until I am done. The first time I took a Saylor exam, I told the proctor that the cell phone is turned off and inside the closet. He was fine with it, and we continued with the test. For the second exam, I was asked to open the closet, take the phone out, and put it where the proctor could see it. I found it very strange, but just complied with their wishes.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
I used to be able to tell them that my cell phone was in another room, and that would be the end of it. The last few times I took a test with ProctorU, they've required me to place my cell phone where they can see it. So, I believe this is a company-wide policy. I was annoyed the first time, but it wasn't worth the energy to argue. The thing that made me angry was that I had to dig for a larger mirror because the small mirror I keep in my purse was no longer acceptable, and my cell phone wasn't reflecting my laptop screen well.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-10-2018, 07:52 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I posted awhile back about how ProctorU's proctor turned off my anti virus during a test. I have taken a few tests with them since then with no problems.

Anyway, I just took a final for TESU today, and during the set up the proctor asks you to put your cell phone where they can see it during the test for some reason. I always tell them I don't have a cell phone with me, because I leave it in the other room, and it's always been fine.

So today for some reason, the proctor didn't like that answer, and basically told me to go in the other room and get my cell phone, bring it back into the room where I was taking the test, and put it where he could see it. I thought that was stupid, and said so, and we ended up having a weird argument where he essentially refused to do my test until I went and got my cell phone and showed it to him, and I asked for another proctor instead. 

After a long-ish wait, finally the original proctor came back and said he'd do the test but he was going to have to let TESU know that I had violated procedures by refusing to put my cell phone where he could see it. I asked "so you're going to tell my college that I didn't have a cell phone in the room with me when I took the test?" and he dropped it finally and I took the test without any further problems.

I *assume* that this will not be a problem and that I will graduate the class just fine, but if they disrupt my final grade over me not having a cell phone in the room with me, you guys and everyone else will hear about it.

That would be a problem for me since I don't own -have never owned- a cell phone. I guess I could bring him my landline, cord and all..... Wink
What about those of us who refuse to have the cellphone in their sight? Sorry, mine is WAY too loud and distracting when it's on a hard surface like the table. No, I won't be able to take a test with it sitting there. I would just lie and say I don't have a cell phone. Or it's in the shop getting a new battery. Or fixing a cracked screen. What are they going to do about this? Just silly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-11-2018, 11:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: What about those of us who refuse to have the cellphone in their sight?  Sorry, mine is WAY too loud and distracting when it's on a hard surface like the table.  No, I won't be able to take a test with it sitting there.  I would just lie and say I don't have a cell phone.  Or it's in the shop getting a new battery.  Or fixing a cracked screen.  What are they going to do about this?  Just silly.

Wouldn't you put it on silent or turn it off? If it were in another room, you wouldn't be able to answer it in the middle of a test anyway. But, if you must have the ringer on, you can always turn off vibrate or sit the phone on a pad or small pillow.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My last test with ProctorU was like this. The proctor asked me to show him my cellphone in case we got disconnected so he could call me back. I thought that was the weirdest thing since they've never asked that before! I'm glad I'm not the only one here. I'm wondering if they do that so they can make sure you're not using your phone while taking the test? If they can see you put it somewhere where you cannot easily access it, then they'll know you're not using it. Maybe??

Anyone else also have trouble with the video coming up? The past two tests have been like that. Nothing changed on my end, but all of a sudden they had the hardest time getting the live video up. One time we had to go to a completely different site for the video to show up.
My guess is that they don't want you to leave the camera area to go and answer the phone if they have to call you. I suppose you could use a landline phone so long as it can be in view.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-11-2018, 12:39 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 11:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: What about those of us who refuse to have the cellphone in their sight?  Sorry, mine is WAY too loud and distracting when it's on a hard surface like the table.  No, I won't be able to take a test with it sitting there.  I would just lie and say I don't have a cell phone.  Or it's in the shop getting a new battery.  Or fixing a cracked screen.  What are they going to do about this?  Just silly.

Wouldn't you put it on silent or turn it off? If it were in another room, you wouldn't be able to answer it in the middle of a test anyway. But, if you must have the ringer on, you can always turn off vibrate or sit the phone on a pad or small pillow.

It is already on silent, and I shouldn't have to adjust my settings to take a test that doesn't have anything to do with my phone!  That's why I'd want it in another room entirely, where it couldn't disturb me - I won't be answering it, I will have an easier time concentrating because it's not vibrating, lighting up, etc. where I can be distracted by it.  Luckily I'm done and probably won't have to use ProctorU any longer, but if I did, I would say I don't have a cell phone.  Done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
yes, the video wasn't working during the test I was talking about here, now that you mention it.

I took a mid term with them 6 weeks ago and everything was fine
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 7,258 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ProctorU darthweezy 3 725 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  SDC Proctored Exam Issue Diana321 8 26,932 02-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  SDC PSI proctor service issue lrck4 6 1,377 01-24-2020, 11:50 PM
Last Post: udi
  How Strict Is ProctorU? BrighterFuture88 4 1,942 08-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Last Post: BrighterFuture88