Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another weird ProctorU issue
(12-12-2018, 06:50 PM)davewill Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 05:15 PM)Merlin Wrote: ...
I assume the issue is that you could theoretically have someone listening in who is relaying answers to you somehow... maybe an earpiece mic or something?

Wouldn't have to be that high tech. They could simply enter the room after you sweep the camera around, then Google anything you say and hold up the screen behind the camera. If you were determined to cheat, it wouldn't be that hard to figure a way to beat the proctor.

True enough. Though an earpiece mic is easier and doesn't require anyone being in the room with you. They could be on the other end of a phone call, for instance.

(12-12-2018, 07:00 PM)Mab81 Wrote: You'd have to be pretty dedicated to cheating to bother doing any of this stuff. Honestly it's easier to just do the class. Lol.

Also true. But there are some people who just want the degree and don't care about learning or doing the work. I suspect cheating is more common than we might expect.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-10-2018, 07:52 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I posted awhile back about how ProctorU's proctor turned off my anti virus during a test. I have taken a few tests with them since then with no problems.

Anyway, I just took a final for TESU today, and during the set up the proctor asks you to put your cell phone where they can see it during the test for some reason. I always tell them I don't have a cell phone with me, because I leave it in the other room, and it's always been fine.

So today for some reason, the proctor didn't like that answer, and basically told me to go in the other room and get my cell phone, bring it back into the room where I was taking the test, and put it where he could see it. I thought that was stupid, and said so, and we ended up having a weird argument where he essentially refused to do my test until I went and got my cell phone and showed it to him, and I asked for another proctor instead. 

After a long-ish wait, finally the original proctor came back and said he'd do the test but he was going to have to let TESU know that I had violated procedures by refusing to put my cell phone where he could see it. I asked "so you're going to tell my college that I didn't have a cell phone in the room with me when I took the test?" and he dropped it finally and I took the test without any further problems.

I *assume* that this will not be a problem and that I will graduate the class just fine, but if they disrupt my final grade over me not having a cell phone in the room with me, you guys and everyone else will hear about it.

This happened to me to. I've taken 5 or 6 and always left my phone in another room, but one time they asked me to go get it, show it to them, and then put it out of site. I complied, thinking maybe people say they don't have it but then try to sneak it out of their pocket or put it in a desk drawer they can peak at to cheat. I kind of chuckled at the whole situation having to leave, go all the way downstairs just to hold up a phone and then put it far away again, but I felt like the protcor knew it was stupid, but he was probably just doing it the way he was trained.

I get the sense those guys have a heavy workload and probably aren't enjoying their time there, so I kind of feel bad for them.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
(12-13-2018, 03:27 PM)camjenks Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 07:52 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I posted awhile back about how ProctorU's proctor turned off my anti virus during a test. I have taken a few tests with them since then with no problems.

Anyway, I just took a final for TESU today, and during the set up the proctor asks you to put your cell phone where they can see it during the test for some reason. I always tell them I don't have a cell phone with me, because I leave it in the other room, and it's always been fine.

So today for some reason, the proctor didn't like that answer, and basically told me to go in the other room and get my cell phone, bring it back into the room where I was taking the test, and put it where he could see it. I thought that was stupid, and said so, and we ended up having a weird argument where he essentially refused to do my test until I went and got my cell phone and showed it to him, and I asked for another proctor instead. 

After a long-ish wait, finally the original proctor came back and said he'd do the test but he was going to have to let TESU know that I had violated procedures by refusing to put my cell phone where he could see it. I asked "so you're going to tell my college that I didn't have a cell phone in the room with me when I took the test?" and he dropped it finally and I took the test without any further problems.

I *assume* that this will not be a problem and that I will graduate the class just fine, but if they disrupt my final grade over me not having a cell phone in the room with me, you guys and everyone else will hear about it.

This happened to me to. I've taken 5 or 6 and always left my phone in another room, but one time they asked me to go get it, show it to them, and then put it out of site. I complied, thinking maybe people say they don't have it but then try to sneak it out of their pocket or put it in a desk drawer they can peak at to cheat. I kind of chuckled at the whole situation having to leave, go all the way downstairs just to hold up a phone and then put it far away again, but I felt like the protcor knew it was stupid, but he was probably just doing it the way he was trained.

I get the sense those guys have a heavy workload and probably aren't enjoying their time there, so I kind of feel bad for them.

The poor proctor in the OP was verbally abused for following a company-wide policy he had no control over.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Most of them appear to be in a call centre environment in the Philippines.

On a couple of occasions, I was able to see the screen of the person behind them with someone else taking a test....
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
"The poor proctor in the OP was verbally abused for following a company-wide policy he had no control over."

the way i know he had control over it is that 1) the last 5 proctors didn't ask me to do the same thing, and 2) i told him he could get me another proctor if he didn't want to do it that way and he refused to. so when push came to shove, he decided i didn't have to show him my phone, right? it's pretty simple when you think about it.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Just a quick update on this: my final went through just fine and I was not contacted by anyone about it or bothered in any way.

So those of you without cell phones don't have anything to worry about.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • cookderosa
(12-13-2018, 10:28 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: "The poor proctor in the OP was verbally abused for following a company-wide policy he had no control over."

the way i know he had control over it is that 1) the last 5 proctors didn't ask me to do the same thing, and 2) i told him he could get me another proctor if he didn't want to do it that way and he refused to. so when push came to shove, he decided i didn't have to show him my phone, right? it's pretty simple when you think about it.

We know from this forum, alone, that many other proctors have required test takers to show their cell phones, so he is not the only one. Many times, companies will let things go to placate irate customers because of the "customer's always right" culture and simply because it's just too much of a hassle to argue with aggressive, irrational people. So, yes, many times you can get your way just by giving companies a hard time even when you're in the wrong.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
you're inventing that i was irate and berated some guy like a maniac when in reality i just said i wasn't going to go get my phone and was just fine about it

i mean if you get something out of that, go ahead, but it should be obvious that you inventing weird scenarios like that is stranger than anything you're accusing me of

I'm just going by your own words. That doesn't sound civil.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
what you're saying is stupid. i have just said so. we are currently having a weird argument, about nothing i find important. so it's the exact same situation, except that I need a proctor for something and don't need you for anything, so have even less reason to keep my cool with you.

am i "irate"? am i "ranting" at you? hardly.

troll better if you want to troll, this is boring.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 7,190 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ProctorU darthweezy 3 719 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  SDC Proctored Exam Issue Diana321 8 26,926 02-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  SDC PSI proctor service issue lrck4 6 1,373 01-24-2020, 11:50 PM
Last Post: udi
  How Strict Is ProctorU? BrighterFuture88 4 1,936 08-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Last Post: BrighterFuture88