Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey?
(07-02-2019, 01:30 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I only did CLEP/DSST exams cold for things I already knew (and passed all 4 of those).  So I guess that was my strategy with testing.  It was really inconvenient for me to take them as the testing center was far, so I didn't utilize them as much as I could have.

I would say that for courses, your best bet is to try a few, when coupons or other things come out.  Some people love SL, and it can be a great deal if you do 3, 4 or 5 courses in a month, with a coupon.  I hated them and never finished a course, but that's just me personally, I have nothing against them or anything.  If Sophia does a great coupon, use that to take some courses there.  If you like Study.com, they're a great option, especially for on-the-go since they have a good app.

Really, you should just try a few different things to see what you do best with.

If you're doing a BSBA, I recommend Study.com for your entire non-GE portion of the degree, since with overlap and placement tests, you can get a lot done in a short amount of time, and each subsequent course in the same area gets easier and easier.
Thank you so much for this information!  It's great advice on starting.  I understand you not using CLEP/DSST if the testing centers made things inconvenient for you. I really do like the learning style of Sophia due to the videos, chunks of info at a time and quizzes along the way.  Do you mind me asking what it was about SL that did mesh well with you?  I know that every source is different and every learner is different, but it helps to know why it may not work for some when you are just starting and don't really know a lot about the source (especially when trying them out could be costly compared to others). 

I didn't know SDC had an app!  That would be helpful for me as I am on the go a lot. 

If you don't mind me asking, (I am still new to all of this) if I were to go with a BSBA or BALS and took the advice of using SDC for my entire non-GE portion, what would then be the best sources for the GE portion?  I know there is a limit to how much of a degree you can utilize from one source.

(07-02-2019, 07:37 AM)Ideas Wrote: Study.com because they have animated videos. Their quizzes are really short too and you can retake the quizzes. The exams are longer but you don't need to score well if you did well on the quizzes.

Thank you!  This is EXACTLY what I need of the type of learner I am!  This is helpful.

(07-02-2019, 12:24 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: If you are a visual learner then SDC might be your way to go. You can watch videos with closed captioning on or off and they also provide transcripts. SDC is also good if you are doing a lot of classes in the same area because as dfrecore said, they overlap. What that means (in case someone may not know), is that some of the content overlaps so if you test out of it in one class, it shows up as complete in the new class. For example, when I did Eng I, Eng II was already 45% complete. You can't beat that if you ask me.

I think it also can depend on what you want to learn. SL graded exams are open book and a lot of finals are also. If you don't care to learn about content, it's easy to go through them just answering questions.

Hope that helps!

Awesome, thank you!  Sounds like SDC may be a great option for me.  This is so helpful to hear and get feedback on. I need this type of info  Big Grin

(07-02-2019, 12:30 PM)quigongene Wrote: For CLEP exams, in addition to Modern States, I used Crash Course on Youtube.  There are ones for Sociology, Psychology, Biology and Economics.  Additionally, there's one on Astronomy that I used for the DSST.
 This is perfect!!!! Exactly the type of info I was hoping for!  THANK YOU!  If you have any other advice or input like this, I would love more!   Wink

(07-02-2019, 12:37 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Crash Course is a fantastic source for CLEP studying on the subjects they cover. I used them almost exclusively for the Sociology and American Government CLEPs, and heavily for the US History I & II CLEPs.

Thank you!  This is the type of information I was hoping for and would love more of (what was used to help with passing your course)  If you have any other advice, please share!  It's priceless for someone like me  Wink

(07-02-2019, 05:04 PM)Supermind Wrote: I was a start-from-scratch degree seeker last year. And SDC really helped me learn quickly, and finish my courses in time tonregister for the Capstone. Khan Academy is another excellent resource to clarify some concepts if you did not follow them, or if you need some extra practice in Math. Saylor & Aleks are ok. The course materials are way too extensive and time consuming. You should definitely do CSM-Learn’s Math course, and will earn 3 credits that can be used to fulfill your Quant requirement. I didn’t try Straighterline; so i can’t comment on it.

Thank you for replying!  I LOVE to see that there is another start from scratch'er! It helps me know that it can be done.

I am learning that SDC might be a good start for me.  I am not too familiar with how the Capstone works exactly.  Obviously, it's a requirement and has to be taken but what was the pressing part that you needed to make the Capstone in a timely fashion?  Is it a pricing thing?  Sorry, still very new and learning.

I don't know what CSM-Learn's Math Course is.  But, I do know I have, what I would consider, a debilitating fear of math when it comes to anything regarding formula's and above.  I had a horrible experience in school with math and this is probably what holds me back the most when thinking about continuing education.  THIS right here is my kryptonite (not sure if i spelled that right), my self doubt..... so, anything to help me fight back would be great to know!

(07-02-2019, 07:44 PM)saraholson Wrote: I started in 2017 lurking on the forum too. I did a lot of straighterline initially because they were pretty easy to get through. Especially for the low level gen eds like science. My advice is to look on here ( https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/ )  and take all the straighterline courses that fit into your degree which are open book final. The reason for this is that you won't fail your class just because you forgot key terms or whatever - I really struggle with things like memorizing dates, so taking an open book history course (i took 3 actually) was amazing. 

Once you are done with the SL open book classes, take a look at Sophia and do their 2 free courses. they are good to fill out the electives and they're interesting classes. 

Then you can decide how to proceed with what's left over in your gen eds because there are so many low cost options. 

I would use Study.com for any classes you feel would be 'difficult' (no matter what level) because they have the video option. Sophia also has this, but they are pretty expensive. They do more coupons now than they used to, though. 

I am someone who hates having my entire grade rest on one final exam so i have not done any of these types of options such as Saylor or Onlinedegree. I have ADD so i need visual, measurable progress and incremental learning.

If I had to give one piece of advice overall, it would be to choose a course provider based on your learning style, and NOT on how fast you can complete the courses. I wish i had slowed down and enjoyed my classes more. i was so focused on getting them out of the way that i don't think i got as much out of them as i could have. If you set a study plan and take it in small increments you will get there slowly but surely. I have taken a lot of breaks on my journey but i started out with zero college credits. Even if it takes me another year to finish (I have 11 classes left for my bsba) it will still be less time than i would have spent trying to go to classes in person. And cheaper by far.

THIS!!! This right here is EXACTLY what I need and is what will help me!  Thank you so much for responding like this!  

I had no idea that link was available.  I will absolutely look into those options as I seem to be identical to your learning style.  I too, really dislike a whole grade resting on the final exam and yes, also terrible with dates, do best with measurable progress and incremental learning! With SL, if it is open book and proctored, how do you reference back to the coursework when taking the final test?  Do you keep another browser open?  Do you jump back and forth while taking the exam? So new to all of this, sorry.  I have done the 2 free courses through Sophia though  Wink

I am amazed that you started last year and only have 11 classes left!  Thats amazing!  I would LOVE to be able to say those words. Congratulations.....that's very encouraging! I just need to stop getting lost in this forum and just start already with studying and testing.

(07-02-2019, 05:35 PM)alab21 Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 01:20 AM)Idreamofadegree Wrote: I've been an lurking member for some time now and keep getting intimidated with self doubt and where to begin as far as actual committed studying/testing. I have taken a few of the free courses (i.e. sophia, institutes....etc) but really struggle with where to start when choosing a study source.  Lots of other members have started with some college credit, but I am one of those who truly is starting from scratch. 

Any others out there who have jumped in to get those LL classes started?  If so, would you be willing to share your journey (first classes, study material, time taken, etc...).  

For those who are more experienced with this way of earning credit, which source would work best for a visual learner who likes to follow an outline of course work, take exams/quizes and earn ACE credit for passing?  

Most importantly, which source best prepares you for the testing without having to utilize another source of studying.  For example:  a lot of people utilize the Modern States option due to the free voucher, but also state that the course work alone is not adequate enough to pass the clep, but they also don't state what OTHER means of study they did use to help them pass the clep. 

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Ditto on previous answers plus, for CLEP/DSST, if you get InstantCert you have access to the paid forum where people say what materials they used to pass, and most tests have a document people have updated with things that were on their test.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Wow, I didn't realize that!  Thank you.

(07-02-2019, 05:48 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 12:37 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Crash Course is a fantastic source for CLEP studying on the subjects they cover. I used them almost exclusively for the Sociology and American Government CLEPs, and heavily for the US History I & II CLEPs.

I second this. Even just using the free crash course videos as a supplement is a great choice, playing them in the background while doing other tasks. I used CC for all 3 CLEPs I took; psychology, sociology, and government.

I also recommend checking out any resources your local library may have. I was able to check out REA books and other study guides in addition to free practice tests.
I didn't even know Crash Course existed, so that you of the feedback!

(07-02-2019, 05:48 PM)MNomadic Wrote:

I second this. Even just using the free crash course videos as a supplement is a great choice, playing them in the background while doing other tasks. I used CC for all 3 CLEPs I took; psychology, sociology, and government.

I also recommend checking out any resources your local library may have. I was able to check out REA books and other study guides in addition to free practice tests.

Sorry, one more question....lol. Are the REA books a reliable source to help pass a clep or should one also use another form of study in addition to the REA books?
Completed:
The Institues-Insurance Ethics (2cr)                          
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
CSMLearn- CSMLearn Course (3cr)
TEEX- Cybersecurity 101, 201, 301 (11cr)
I would say yes, the REA books are a reliable source to study for the CLEPs. I don't think anyone should limit themselves to only 1 single source for their studies, though.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Idreamofadegree
In addition to Crash Course, there's ACDC Economics for Macro/Micro on YT. Mr. Clifford explains things very well and he also has a "practice pack" (PDF) that you can buy to help study for the CLEP exams.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • alab21, Idreamofadegree
Does anyone know of or have a TESU BSBA or BALS degree plan that utilizes the new TEEX courses as they come in now?  OR, just a BSBA or BALS degree plan that actually lists out the corresponding courses and sources used?  I have tried to find them throughout the thread but one just gets lost in reading/searching the forum and I would really like to get started.  TIA
Completed:
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
Idreamofadegree Wrote:I've been an lurking member for some time now and keep getting intimidated with self doubt and where to begin as far as actual committed studying/testing. I have taken a few of the free courses (i.e. sophia, institutes....etc) but really struggle with where to start when choosing a study source.  Lots of other members have started with some college credit, but I am one of those who truly is starting from scratch. 

Any others out there who have jumped in to get those LL classes started?  If so, would you be willing to share your journey (first classes, study material, time taken, etc...).  

For those who are more experienced with this way of earning credit, which source would work best for a visual learner who likes to follow an outline of course work, take exams/quizes and earn ACE credit for passing?  

Most importantly, which source best prepares you for the testing without having to utilize another source of studying.  For example:  a lot of people utilize the Modern States option due to the free voucher, but also state that the course work alone is not adequate enough to pass the clep, but they also don't state what OTHER means of study they did use to help them pass the clep. 

You're on the right path already, since you started with the FREE credits, I would recommend continuing until you have completed the FREE credits. Depending on where you are located, I would work on the following - ALEKS, CSM Learn, Davar, onlinedegree.com, etc courses to get you more familiar with online learning/testing at home. To maximize test-out options, I would then do the MS/CLEP option (but you need to go to a testing center). If you are not close to a testing center, then your best bet would be StraighterLine. You should finish the UL level requirements with Study.com

Idreamofadegree Wrote:Does anyone know of or have a TESU BSBA or BALS degree plan that utilizes the new TEEX courses as they come in now? OR, just a BSBA or BALS degree plan that actually lists out the corresponding courses and sources used? I have tried to find them throughout the thread but one just gets lost in reading/searching the forum and I would really like to get started. TIA

See my signature - I would take some time to review the Beginners Guide Sticky thread, read the last few posts as I have example spreadsheet templates for the BSBA, BALS, BACS and the BSIT. Also on my signature is the Wiki, my guide is also on that wiki... you can review forum posts by doing a more detailed search as well if needed. Good luck, get yourself some cheap/easy/fast credits using the methods I mentioned.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Idreamofadegree
(07-03-2019, 01:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Idreamofadegree Wrote:I've been an lurking member for some time now and keep getting intimidated with self doubt and where to begin as far as actual committed studying/testing. I have taken a few of the free courses (i.e. sophia, institutes....etc) but really struggle with where to start when choosing a study source.  Lots of other members have started with some college credit, but I am one of those who truly is starting from scratch. 

You're on the right path already, since you started with the FREE credits, I would recommend continuing until you have completed the FREE credits.   Depending on where you are located, I would work on the following - ALEKS, CSM Learn, Davar, onlinedegree.com, etc courses to get you more familiar with online learning/testing at home.  To maximize test-out options, I would then do the MS/CLEP option (but you need to go to a testing center).  If you are not close to a testing center, then your best bet would be StraighterLine.  You should finish the UL level requirements with Study.com

Idreamofadegree Wrote:Does anyone know of or have a TESU BSBA or BALS degree plan that utilizes the new TEEX courses as they come in now?  OR, just a BSBA or BALS degree plan that actually lists out the corresponding courses and sources used?  I have tried to find them throughout the thread but one just gets lost in reading/searching the forum and I would really like to get started.  TIA

See my signature - I would take some time to review the Beginners Guide Sticky thread, read the last few posts as I have example spreadsheet templates for the BSBA, BALS, BACS and the BSIT.  Also on my signature is the Wiki, my guide is also on that wiki... you can review forum posts by doing a more detailed search as well if needed.  Good luck, get yourself some cheap/easy/fast credits using the methods I mentioned.

Great information, thank you!!!  I would love to take your advice on starting with the options you mentioned but I am not familiar with what to take through ALEKS, CSM Learn, Davar, onlinedegree.com. I'm not familiar with those platforms yet.  Is that information on the wiki?  I have read the wiki information just didn't find/see updated degree plans but if you say there are some good posts to reference in the beginners guide sticky thread, will absolutely look into that further.  I would love to learn more on the free options you mentioned FOR SURE!!!
Completed:
Highly recommend CSM Learn. It is great for math-phobic people.
[-] The following 4 users Like natshar's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, CSMlearn, hsfamfun, Idreamofadegree
(07-03-2019, 04:06 PM)natshar Wrote: Highly recommend CSM Learn. It is great for math-phobic people.

Just completed the course and cannot emphasize this enough, especially if ALEKS is not your cup of tea (as it wasn't mine).

D
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
[-] The following 3 users Like CarpeDiem8's post:
  • alab21, CSMlearn, Idreamofadegree
(07-03-2019, 04:29 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 04:06 PM)natshar Wrote: Highly recommend CSM Learn. It is great for math-phobic people.

Just completed the course and cannot emphasize this enough, especially if ALEKS is not your cup of tea (as it wasn't mine).

D

I didn't know anything about it until this thread.  I have checked out the website.  Is it just the "CSM Course" that is $39 that I take?  How long did this take you to complete?  And, do you know if this meets the math requirement in the lower level of a BS? 

I appreciate the help!

It sounds like what may work best for me.  I appreciate the feedback for sure!  Do you mind sharing how long the course took you?
Completed:
(07-04-2019, 12:21 AM)Idreamofadegree Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 04:29 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:

D

I didn't know anything about it until this thread.  I have checked out the website.  Is it just the "CSM Course" that is $39 that I take?  How long did this take you to complete?  And, do you know if this meets the math requirement in the lower level of a BS? 

I appreciate the help!

It sounds like what may work best for me.  I appreciate the feedback for sure!  Do you mind sharing how long the course took you?
It's self paced. I don't remember exactly how long it took me but it was well under 10 hours. Closer 6-7 I think. Some people it will take a little longer but shouldn't be too long for anyone. Try the FREE trial of the course to see if it's for you or not.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • CSMlearn, Idreamofadegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 771 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Union Members prkarlov 6 600 05-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 628 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Article about DegreeForum journey smartdegree 11 1,312 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 353 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Question Graduation Rate for DegreeForum Members? LevelUP 9 1,084 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  College Stories: Florida Students Share Their (Sometimes) Rocky Roads to Graduation LevelUP 0 443 04-23-2022, 10:48 AM
  Is there a way to share a “profile” of badges earned on Badgr? Vle045 6 1,669 04-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  New to this, where to start? saskgui 9 1,504 08-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can anyone share their experience with Tel Learning courses? ctcarl 31 6,601 03-04-2021, 11:30 AM
Last Post: dfrecore