Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG News from UMPI
For the first time in UMPI's 117 year history, they're going to be offering a master's degree. They will be offering a MA in Organizational Leadership beginning next week. It will 100% be online and in their YourPace competency based (CBE) program. 

https://www.umpi.edu/articles/umpi-appro...rs-degree/

I am currently enrolled at UMPI as a YourPace student. Feel free to ask me abut UMPI. I personally love this format and their program. I am enjoying moving through classes at my own pace and not on a semester schedule. If you've taken Sophia courses, they're very similar in platform and the way content is presented.

https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/graduate/ <----application info
[-] The following 5 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, Muldoon, nomaduser, Pikachu, rachel83az
(10-21-2020, 10:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote: For the first time in UMPI's 117 year history, they're going to be offering a master's degree. They will be offering a MA in Organizational Leadership beginning next week. It will 100% be online and in their YourPace competency based (CBE) program. 

I am currently enrolled at UMPI as a YourPace student. Feel free to ask me abut UMPI. I personally love this format and their program. I am enjoying moving through classes at my own pace and not on a semester schedule. If you've taken Sophia courses, they're very similar in platform and the way content is presented.

Any information on the cost of this?
(10-21-2020, 10:57 AM)natshar Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 10:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote: For the first time in UMPI's 117 year history, they're going to be offering a master's degree. They will be offering a MA in Organizational Leadership beginning next week. It will 100% be online and in their YourPace competency based (CBE) program. 

Any information on the cost of this?

I haven't found that yet. They haven't added all of the info to the website yet. They made the announcement this morning to students. Undergrad is $1400 per 8 week term and you can take as many classes as you want during that 8 week term.
That's pretty good, they're now competition for Brandman's program with the same name or WGU's MSML... not bad, more choices to choose from... just looking to see who is going to be cheaper/easier/faster to complete and hopefully in 2 terms for $2800 or 3 for $4200.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I have reached out to the admissions counselor who handles YourPace to get more information about the new MA in Organizational Leadership. I'm pretty excited about this because I really like the format UMPI has going on. I am hoping this will lead to an MBA program. A girl can dream!

I have heard back from admissions at UMPI. The program starts next week with a handful of students. Its full roll out is for the January term. It is 36 credits and $2000 per 8 week term. There are 12 courses which are all CBE.

The MAOL Program
The program explores a multidisciplinary, organizational approach to leadership stressing social
responsibility and ethics, creativity and innovation, diversity and global mindset, dynamic
communication and visioning, and most importantly, the value of the individual. The
cornerstones of the program focus on self and authentic leadership, transformational and
transactional leadership, and critical thinking and data analysis which prepare students to lead
organizations. MAOL students will expand their knowledge of leadership through
interdisciplinary/collaborative research, and by discovering and pursuing a topic of scholarly
inquiry and research while completing their capstone thesis project.
Specific program goals are depicted by the following program mission and vision statements:
Mission - The UMPI Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership program provides a
transformational learning experience that develops resilient leaders with the creativity and
innovation needed to construct purposeful and sustained changed in today’s evolving world.
Vision - The UMPI Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership program aspires to become a
global educational leader offering impactful programs that transcend borders, providing
anytime, anywhere learning access and sustain a culture of lifelong learning.
Program Learning Outcomes:
The six categories of leadership program outcomes are organizational complexities, leadership,
cognition and application, strategy and innovation, civic engagement, and ethics and social
responsibility. Under these areas, graduates will be able to:
Organizational Complexities
● Evaluate organizational dynamics in the areas of structure, behavior, culture, and their
implications for leadership at various levels
● Develop an understanding of change processes and be able to think critically about
obstacles to change
Leadership
● Demonstrate the ability to understand and apply communication theory in order to
effect appropriate change in a variety of leadership settings
● Exhibit and reflect upon changes in personal leadership behavior, as evidenced by
expanded self-knowledge, emotional intelligence, team-behavior, cultural awareness,
and systems thinking
Cognition and Application
● Propose systemic and sustainable solutions to complex business problems using critical
thinking and applied through organizational studies and leadership conceptual
frameworks and theories
● Display knowledge of diverse cultures, cross-cultural communication, the dynamics of
privilege and oppression, and the uses of power between groups
Strategy and Innovation
● Be adaptive leaders that use entrepreneurial thinking and innovative practices to
strategically navigate the complex demand of organizational environments
● Respond positively and effectively to problems in unfamiliar contexts, applying creative
ideas, methods and ways of thinking
Civic Engagement
● Act out of humanitarian values, such as being committed to social justice, engaging in
social responsibility, and serving as positive social change agents
● Engage in controversy with civility
Ethics and Social Responsibility
● Recognize and address moral challenges facing leaders in organizations through
application of a meaningful framework for ethical development
● Practice socially responsible leadership in a changing global environment
The competency based (CBE) Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership program consists of
three Domains, each with four competencies, for a total of 12 competencies overall. Each
competency is worth 3-credit hours for a total of 36-credit hours, for the generation of a credit-
based transcript that records all achieved competencies. Domain 1 focuses on the leadership
foundations. Domain 2, which includes a capstone competency to reinforce the application of
concepts and theories learned throughout the degree program, focuses on leadership practices.
Domain 3 further explores leadership communication, creative and critical thinking, and
organizational policy and strategy.
Domain 1: Leadership Foundations Courses/Competencies
Research Methods: Data-Driven Decision-Making and Planning
Foundations of Organizational Leadership
Democracy and Ethical Leadership in Decision Making
Globalization and Diversity
Domain 2: Leadership Practices Courses/Competencies
Organizational Theory and Behavior
Team Leadership and Collaboration
Leading Organizational Change
Organizational Leadership Capstone
Domain 3: Expanding Leadership Foundations and Practices Courses/Competencies
Leadership and Business Operations
Strategic Communication
Conflict and Negotiation
Leadership and Innovation

MAOL Program Calendar, Cost & Admission
The MAOL program offers 6 starts a year, breaking the traditional 16-week semester into two,
8-week sessions with starts in September, October, January, March, May, and July. There is a
single subscription rate of $2,000 per 8-week session, with no additional costs or fees. All
textbooks or associated resources for the program are included in the $2,000 subscription rate.
For admissions, applicants are required to provide the following materials:
● Application: Online Application https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/graduate/
● Application fee: Waived for all applicants.
● Transcripts: An official transcript from the college or university that issued your
bachelor’s degree is required. A transcript is official when sent directly from the
institution. If the issuing institution is one of the seven campuses of the University of
Maine System, we are able to access the information, so you do not need to provide a
transcript. The transcript must demonstrate completion of a baccalaureate degree from
a regionally accredited college and a competitive GPA. A cumulative grade point average
(GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or a “B” average is expected. Cumulative GPAs not 3.0 or
better, will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may require more
documentation.
● Completed Letter of Recommendation Form(s)
Transfer Credit
Six credits of appropriate graduate-level course work may be transferred from an accredited
institution, if the grades earned in such course work are "B" or better, and an official transcript
received.
Next Steps
We are currently accepting applicants for the October 26th start date. To apply, please use the
application link above. This application link will also offer an option for the January 19th start
date. For admissions related questions, or if you are interested in the program but prefer to
start in a later session, please email Shea Cushman at shea.cushman@maine.edu.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Muldoon, Pikachu
Following this thread. So you mentioned the YourPace course material is presented similar to Sophia. I personally hate writing large papers/projects and prefer the content/quizzes format of Sophia or ASU EA. Which degree program are you in and how many of the classes require big research/writing projects?
(10-21-2020, 04:47 PM)raycathode Wrote: Following this thread. So you mentioned the YourPace course material is presented similar to Sophia. I personally hate writing large papers/projects and prefer the content/quizzes format of Sophia or ASU EA. Which degree program are you in and how many of the classes require big research/writing projects?

No I said the platform is similar and the content presentation are similar. UMPI is CBE so there are papers and projects for most classes. Every class has quizzes throughout the course. These don't count in your final grade. Your final grade is your Final Assessment. The Final Assessment is a paper, project, or exam. You don't have a choice about which one. There's a thread on here about my UMPI experience and it goes over UMPI in. great detail. My signature says what I'm majoring at UMPI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(10-21-2020, 12:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's pretty good, they're now competition for Brandman's program with the same name or WGU's MSML... not bad, more choices to choose from... just looking to see who is going to be cheaper/easier/faster to complete and hopefully in 2 terms for $2800 or 3 for $4200.
So, I haven't asked them for confirmation, but if you carefully read the Brandman website, it seems that you are not allowed to finish in one semester due to a limit in how many credits they let you take per each. If I read it correctly, then the potential is there to complete the UMIPI program both faster and cheaper than Brandman, if UMPI doesn't have the same restriction.

Back when I was considering Brandman, I meant to reach out to clarify that policy, but since other reasons led me in different directions, I never got around to asking. Maybe now is a good time, since I've already opened up my big mouth in this thread  Big Grin
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

(10-22-2020, 02:08 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 12:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's pretty good, they're now competition for Brandman's program with the same name or WGU's MSML... not bad, more choices to choose from... just looking to see who is going to be cheaper/easier/faster to complete and hopefully in 2 terms for $2800 or 3 for $4200.
So, I haven't asked them for confirmation, but if you carefully read the Brandman website, it seems that you are not allowed to finish in one semester due to a limit in how many credits they let you take per each. If I read it correctly, then the potential is there to complete the UMIPI program both faster and cheaper than Brandman, if UMPI doesn't have the same restriction.

Back when I was considering Brandman, I meant to reach out to clarify that policy, but since other reasons led me in different directions, I never got around to asking. Maybe now is a good time, since I've already opened up my big mouth in this thread  Big Grin

UMPI does not have any restrictions on the maximum credits you can complete in a term. Terms are 8 weeks so there is no way 99% of the population will complete the 12 courses in just one term. UMPI is not on a semester basis. It's on terms. There are two 8 week terms back to back which line up with their on campus semester, but you are not in a semester.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(10-22-2020, 03:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 02:08 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:

UMPI does not have any restrictions on the maximum credits you can complete in a term. Terms are 8 weeks so there is no way 99% of the population will complete the 12 courses in just one term. UMPI is not on a semester basis. It's on terms. There are two 8 week terms back to back which line up with their on campus semester, but you are not in a semester.
Yes, I understand. By "semester" I meant term.

Speedrunning through CBE degrees is never an easy task. The winning strategy is to find out as much as you can about the program before it starts and studying  one's butt off beforehand. When I was considering Brandman, my plan was to get the physical text books used for the semester-based OL courses that correspond with the MyPath competencies, then wear them out via independent study, annotations, flash cards, etc. I figured that if I studied hard enough before enrolling, I'd just have to worry about the time required to complete assignments and take the exams.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

[-] The following 1 user Likes Maniac Craniac's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2024 - News, News, and more News! bjcheung77 1 167 03-16-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 167 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
  Feb 2024 - Acquisitions and News bjcheung77 1 185 02-15-2024, 06:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 241 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 437 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,413 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,843 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
  Late News: ECPI ABET bjcheung77 2 1,010 04-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UMPI---Financial aid??? midnite123 4 682 01-15-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Comp 2 umpi yourpace Mike Williams 3 678 01-01-2023, 09:57 PM