Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BS in Psychology - Cheap and Fast (and dirty)
@bjcheung77 What is it that makes COSC cheaper than TESU for this degree? Is it just the lack of residency waiver?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Basically, the cost of attending COSC is cheaper than TESU for all undergrad degrees I think. I just did an updated post to the Beginners Guide with the cost of attending the Big 3 and WGU for Business/IT programs. COSC is almost a thousand cheaper than TESU. For a BALS or a BA with a concentration, COSC would be a good choice for those who are looking for a check in the box degree. For an IT degree, I highly recommend WGU, and for a BSBA or BS Tech Studies, I would recommend TESU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-23-2018, 08:06 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: @bjcheung77 What is it that makes COSC cheaper than TESU for this degree? Is it just the lack of residency waiver?

There are lots of things that go into the price structure at each of the Big 3 that's different, so you can't say there's just 1 thing that will change things.  Each school has a myriad of differences that change the price, and courses that can't be gotten for free that you'll be required to take, that also add to the cost.

TESU charges the residency waiver, which the other 2 don't.  But, the cornerstone is only $300 (changing on 7/1/19), there's no per-term fee, and no lab science required (no science at all actually).  COSC requires you to take the 3cr Cornerstone and Capstone there, plus additional UL courses, a per-term fee that you'll pay for at least 2 terms, a technology fee, and a lab science.  EC requires an annual fee, additional UL courses, and generally a higher-level math course than the other 2.

You really have to make a spreadsheet for each school, using their particular requirements, discounts (if any), plug in the courses you're going to take along with all of the courses you've already taken, and then see which way you come out ahead.  It's a lot of work to do all 3, but it may make sense to do so if you can find that one is MUCH cheaper than the other 2.

Also, whatever the price is now, can change in the future before you graduate - while being enrolled locks in your catalog in terms of requirements, it does NOT lock in any pricing structure that may exist (obviously this does not apply for something like a comprehensive option where you pay for a year up front at TESU or something like that).  This can be good and bad.  On the bad side, TESU raised the price for the residency waiver this year to $2,200, and they are getting rid of the 1cr cornerstone and replacing it with a 3cr cornerstone that will cost more than triple that amount.  On the good side, they kept the comprehensive plan price the same as last year, including the study.com discount, and lowered the price for their LL TECEP's to $25/cr (so $75 for most of them).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-23-2018, 09:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 08:06 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: @bjcheung77 What is it that makes COSC cheaper than TESU for this degree? Is it just the lack of residency waiver?

There are lots of things that go into the price structure at each of the Big 3 that's different, so you can't say there's just 1 thing that will change things.  Each school has a myriad of differences that change the price, and courses that can't be gotten for free that you'll be required to take, that also add to the cost.

TESU charges the residency waiver, which the other 2 don't.  But, the cornerstone is only $300 (changing on 7/1/19), there's no per-term fee, and no lab science required (no science at all actually).  COSC requires you to take the 3cr Cornerstone and Capstone there, plus additional UL courses, a per-term fee that you'll pay for at least 2 terms, a technology fee, and a lab science.  EC requires an annual fee, additional UL courses, and generally a higher-level math course than the other 2.

You really have to make a spreadsheet for each school, using their particular requirements, discounts (if any), plug in the courses you're going to take along with all of the courses you've already taken, and then see which way you come out ahead.  It's a lot of work to do all 3, but it may make sense to do so if you can find that one is MUCH cheaper than the other 2.

Also, whatever the price is now, can change in the future before you graduate - while being enrolled locks in your catalog in terms of requirements, it does NOT lock in any pricing structure that may exist (obviously this does not apply for something like a comprehensive option where you pay for a year up front at TESU or something like that).  This can be good and bad.  On the bad side, TESU raised the price for the residency waiver this year to $2,200, and they are getting rid of the 1cr cornerstone and replacing it with a 3cr cornerstone that will cost more than triple that amount.  On the good side, they kept the comprehensive plan price the same as last year, including the study.com discount, and lowered the price for their LL TECEP's to $25/cr (so $75 for most of them).

Excelsior also charges an “Enrollment fee” of $1095 if you do the multi source option where you don’t take at least 12 credits from them. Basically their version of a residency waiver. In addition to the annual enrollment fee of $495 that you mentioned. The annual fee can be lowered to $225 with studydotcom affiliation... but it’s still not much cheaper than TESU over all, especially with all the extra UL credit required.
[-] The following 1 user Likes leeloodallas's post:
  • warriortaupou
(11-24-2018, 05:02 AM)leeloodallas Wrote:

Excelsior also charges an “Enrollment fee” of $1095 if you do the multi source option where you don’t take at least 12 credits from them. Basically their version of a residency waiver. In addition to the annual enrollment fee of $495 that you mentioned. The annual fee can be lowered to $225 with studydotcom affiliation... but it’s  still not much cheaper than TESU over all, especially with all the extra UL credit required.

The Enrollment Fee is charged the 1st year, the ongoing Student Services Annual Fee is charged after that.  So you can normally get by without paying it if you enroll right when you want to take the capstone and are done with the other 117cr.  But, their per-credit cost for the capstone is $510/cr (so $1,530 for the capstone), and you can't get the discount pricing for using a partner like SL or Study.com unless you also take 12cr there.  The only thing you can save is the $50 application fee.

Like I said, there are different price structures at each school, and each school has it's pros and cons.  You really have to look at them separately, there is no one specific thing that makes one cost more than another, it's different for each of them.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-25-2018, 01:10 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-24-2018, 05:02 AM)leeloodallas Wrote:

Excelsior also charges an “Enrollment fee” of $1095 if you do the multi source option where you don’t take at least 12 credits from them. Basically their version of a residency waiver. In addition to the annual enrollment fee of $495 that you mentioned. The annual fee can be lowered to $225 with studydotcom affiliation... but it’s  still not much cheaper than TESU over all, especially with all the extra UL credit required.

The Enrollment Fee is charged the 1st year, the ongoing Student Services Annual Fee is charged after that.  So you can normally get by without paying it if you enroll right when you want to take the capstone and are done with the other 117cr.  But, their per-credit cost for the capstone is $510/cr (so $1,530 for the capstone), and you can't get the discount pricing for using a partner like SL or Study.com unless you also take 12cr there.  The only thing you can save is the $50 application fee.

Like I said, there are different price structures at each school, and each school has it's pros and cons.  You really have to look at them separately, there is no one specific thing that makes one cost more than another, it's different for each of them.
Hi dfrecore,
I was a student at Excelsior from 2015-2017 and received the study.com affiliate student services fee discount price of $225 per year even though I didn’t take any classes from Excelsior. The $1095 enrollment fee wasn’t charged in the 1st year. It was not owed until you apply for graduation.. but that makes no difference to the final cost of it haha.
I wasn’t trying to argue with you at all and you are right about the pros and cons of each school, but just sharing to clarify. I’m definitely not trying to promote excelsior.. I felt that they are less flexible about what they will accept and I am at TESU now.
(11-25-2018, 05:47 PM)leeloodallas Wrote: Hi dfrecore,
I was a student at Excelsior from 2015-2017 and received the study.com affiliate student services fee discount price of $225 per year even though I didn’t take any classes from Excelsior. The $1095 enrollment fee wasn’t charged in the 1st year. It was not owed until you apply for graduation.. but that makes no difference to the final cost of it haha.
I wasn’t trying to argue with you at all and you are right about the pros and cons of each school, but just sharing to clarify. I’m definitely not trying to promote excelsior.. I felt that they are less flexible about what they will accept and I am at TESU now.

It's strange, since they specifically say on their website that you can't get the discount, but glad to hear from an actual student about the fees.

BTW - I'm not sure that they wouldn't come back when you applied for graduation, rescind the discount since you didn't take the required courses, and charge that amount to people.  Here's what it says on their website:

Enrollment Fee (online course option)

$0*
*Students who do not complete the required number of Excelsior course credits before graduation will be switched to the Multi-Source option and charged the Multi-Source enrollment fee of $1095.

Tuition (per credit)

$410*
Non-Partner Price $510
Partners save $100 per credit
[i]*Tuition per credit reverts to the non-partner rate if the student does not complete a minimum of twelve (12) Excelsior College online course credits.
[/i]

[i]Student Services Annual Fee

$0*
[i]*Partnership students who do not complete at least six (6) Excelsior College online course credits each year will be charged a nominal $225 annual fee.
[/i]
[/i]

[i][i]Graduation Fee (one time)

$130*
Non-Partner Price $495
Partners save $365
[i]*The Enrollment and Graduation Fees revert to the non-partner rate if the student does not complete a minimum of twelve (12) Excelsior College online course credits prior to completion of a degree program.

In the event the graduation fee reverts to the non-partner rate, this fee will be reduced by $15 per academic credit for each undergraduate Excelsior College course successfully completed.
[/i]
[/i]
[/i]

[i][i][i]https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/study-com/[/i][/i][/i]
dfrecore,
I see now what you mean about the fees, and you are probably right that they would expect you to pay the difference before graduating. I didn’t apply for graduation so can’t confirm, but it would make sense based on that footnote. So other than the application fee discount as you mentioned, the study dot com affiliation is basically useless at excelsior if you don’t take 12 credits.
Hey @turborelaxtion,

I cannot respond to your private message because you have private messages turned off in your profile settings. In the meantime, I am posting my responses to your thread here since its relevant to your original thread (before it got off track) and none of this is really sensitive. It is really just a rehash of things I and others have posted elsewhere.

Feel free to respond here or fix your message settings and ping me again privately.

turborelaxation Wrote:[...]
From what I understand, the literal sequence of events would go as such

1. Decide which of the Big 3 I want a degree from.
  2. Create a "degree plan" that more or less is a list of the classes I'd need for said degree.
  3. Begin studying for an exam, take it.
  4. Repeat step 3 indefinitely until all credit requirements are satisfied.
  5. Apply to chosen Big 3 school. Fulfill their capstone/cornerstone requirements.
  6. Receive degree.

That is pretty much right, with the exception that step 3 will usually include online courses since its hard (if possible at all) to earn a degree like Psychology using exam-based options exclusively.

turborelaxation Wrote:Please correct me if I'm missing something. So, if what I've stated is correct, here are my questions.

1. I previously mentioned wanting to set myself up for success as far pursuing a masters of some kind. From what I gathered, certain schools will not take credits that are on a pass or fail basis. I also gathered that some people went on to Ivy League schools with those same credits. Can you please elaborate a bit more on this? I read your post where you explained your own situation. I'm more concerned with literally, what types of things would I google in order to figure out whether or I would be capable of pursuing a masters at X number of universities, based on my credits.

It depends on where you want to pursue your masters. If you have a specific school in mind, the best plan is to look at their admission requirements (and/or speak to an admissions counselor) and use that to inform your decision-making about how to build your degree plan.

For example, some schools will expect a minimum number of graded credits (which means you need a specific number of college-earned credits), others may want minimum grades in specific classes (an Accounting MBA may require accounting and finance courses with a minimum of a B, so you'd need to take those at a CC or something). Other schools may not have any specific requirements since many schools don't offer graded credits at all. In those cases, if you're looking at a competitive admission school, it is more about making sure you have high GRE (or GMAT/LSAT/MCAT) scores, provide relevant recommendations, and develop a strong admissions essay.

turborelaxation Wrote:2. I understand that there is several types of tests. Ie, CLEP, DSST, etc. What are the different benefits or downsides to these courses? Is it basically that, certain credits can only be earned with certain kinds of tests, and that some are free, or cheaper, or easier? And if so, is there some central thread or body of current information that would help streamline the process of picking the best courses?

If you're looking at the Big 3, there is effectively no difference between exams and online courses. For other schools, what types alternative credits are accepted and to what degree can vary. For example, CLEP is the most widely accepted form of alternative credit. DSST and ACE courses are next most widely accepted. NCCRS exams and some school-specific exams can be situational. Plus, even if a school accepts the credits, they may have limits; like they may accept CLEP but limit it to 30 credits and/or may specify higher minimum scores.

Price-wise, the cheapest right now is CLEP since you can get the fees those for reimbursed if you go through modern states course prep. The rest all vary in price, but we generally use $33 per credit ($100 per course) as an average.

One big downside of exams like CLEP and DSST is that you have to take them at a specific facility with a live proctor. You can't take them at home on your own computer. So if you're not close to a test center, taking CLEP/DSST exams can be a pain. Personally, I would have taken more CLEP courses but the only nearby test centers are all at colleges which are only open to their own students.

turborelaxation Wrote:3. The actual process of studying for a test would basically involve finding a study guide of some kind, then taking the test online? I'm confused as to whether you need to go to a physical location or if you can take all of them online. Does it go on a case by case basis?

I covered some of this above. However, studying depends on the type of course. For exams like CLEP/DSST, you have to study on your own using whatever resources you find for it, and you can use resources like modern states to supplement anything else you find. For online courses like Study.com and Straighterline, the course material and testing is included in the price of the course.

turborelaxation Wrote:4. On actual difficulty: I see that you got 90 credits in 10 months. That seems pretty impressive, you also seem to know a lot about what you are doing. I was really gifted in school but hardly ever applied myself. It's been 6 years since I was even in a school and probably more than a decade before I actually studied. I admit that I'm pretty scared to start this and find out that it's more difficult than I expected. What were your circumstances prior to starting the whole CLEPing process, and how did you come to the conclusion that it is what you wanted. Presently I work two jobs and am basically trying to iron out a rough timeline, and decide if I still want both jobs.

In my circumstance, I have a few decades of professional experience in technology and business, so many of the courses I've taken have been areas I'm already well-versed. I was able to get through exams and courses very quickly in subjects I already knew well. In areas I didn't have any prior knowledge, I had to take courses and learn on the go.

For most courses, the level of difficulty is not terribly high, particularly if you are aiming for a minimal passing score. I like to aim for 100% or as close to it as I can get, so I tend to overstudy.

This is also the second time I tried to come back for a degree. I got derailed by a cross-country move and change in employment last time and came back after 6-7 years to try again. My original goal in completing a degree is mainly personal because I felt weird not having one, but secondarily because it helps demonstrate skills in business when many people only see my technical accomplishments. Now I'm doing it because I enjoy it and I plan to continue my academic pursuits beyond just one degree.

When I decided to get serious about the education, I took a 1-year work sabbatical to focus primarily on school. I also have a 3-year old and do consulting on the side now and then, so I can't spend as much time as I'd like, but I generally aim to invest 5-10 hours per day in school-related activities.

turborelaxation Wrote:5. Last part: If this is such an awesome deal, why don't more people do it? Is it simply because the whole "college is a business" thing? Is there any cons to this process and what are they? Thus far all I can see is that it does involve a lot of research and self-starting.

More people don't do it because they don't know about it, which has a lot to do with needing to take the initiative to research. Plus not all colleges accept alternate credit and some people want to graduate from a well-known school. Most of the Big 3 (or Big 4 if you include WGU) are relatively unheard of.

turborelaxation Wrote:Thanks for taking the time out on this. I'd deeply appreciate if you were able to continue to guide me on this process, please respond whenever you find you have time.

I'm always happy to help out. Though aside from sensitive discussions, its generally best to post your questions publicly so the community can chime in and learn as well.

I'm pretty well-versed in this stuff and have wide generalized knowledge, but there are others who are more familiar with specifics. For example, I know a lot about my own degree plan and course selections since I developed them myself, but I don't take the responsibility to make degree plans for anyone else. That is dfrecore's thing for the most part, though there are a few others that help in their own degree areas.

Good luck!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Merlin, thanks so much again. I was mainly just wanting something concise versus a meandering 8 page thread. Eventually my goal is to consolidate this into something helpful to others.

I have some more questions. What is the difference between an exam and a course? A course is going to require a certain amount of time to watch videos and read and the like?

And an exam is basically just a one shot deal where it’s on you to study for it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,560 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,491 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 513 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,583 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 918 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 637 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 803 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Cheap/quick/fun certs? Insert Name 10 1,334 01-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Conions
  Cheap general science courses? Preferably online. Drakemoore 8 1,360 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee