Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA in Computer Information Systems
Good morning all!

I have to say, it's great to finally create an account here with the knowledge that I'm starting my journey to a more educated me. I have followed these forums for some time, trying to decide what I should do, education wise. I also have a good friend "drewthedude" on these forums, who turned my attention to TESC, so that's where I've decided to go. I will begin CLEP/DANTES classes shortly. I only need 12 CH for my AAS, and my ultimate goal from TESC is the BSBA in CIS.

I've seen some threads about this particular degree program, including links to the wiki page, and I really like what I've seen so far. I have decided to try the following to start.

Substance Abuse - CLEP/DANTES
Literature - CLEP/DANTES
Technical Writing - CLEP/DANTES
College Math - CLEP/DANTES
Business Law - CLEP/DANTES
Managerial Communication - CLEP/DANTES

I believe all of these will count towards the BSBA in CIS. I am also planning on doing the Global Environment Change (ENS-314) as my Gen and Free Electives that I need for my AAS, and was told that I can also use that for my BSBA in CIS. It seems a lot of this setup is knowing what you need to do vs. what you can CLEP/DANTES, so you make the best use of your credits, and not waste time. I can see how you could end up working for 2 years on a degree that should really only take 9-10 months.

If anyone has any words of wisdom, or has experience with this specific degree program (ryoder, dcan, brucet3, SRT12, Geezer, etc), feel free to spam me with corrections or advice. Smile Obviously, anyone with knowledge of TESC (most everyone on this site I would assume) is more than welcome to reply. Smile

Thank you all! Cheers!

Carl
ConflagrateCarl

Some are destined to fix, what others strive to destroy. - CD

AAS - Applied Computer Studies
TESC
In Progress - Request for Graduation Submitted!

BSBA - Computer Information Systems
TESC
"Official Goal" - Fall 2014

BS Information Technology - Security
WGU
"Potential Goal" - Fall 2014

Certifications
Cisco - CCNA
EC-Council - C|EH, C|NDA
Microsoft - MCP
CompTIA - A+, Network +, Security+
What AAS are you going after? Why are you taking the Global Environmental Change class versus testing out?
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
AlbaTiVo Wrote:What AAS are you going after? Why are you taking the Global Environmental Change class versus testing out?

Heh, the AAS is in my sig! Big Grin But it's Applied Computer Studies. I was told I need to take 12 CH for the Military Education requirement or whatever. Basically it requires me to take at least 12 CH for an AAS, but I think they waive the enrollment fee. Something like that. Not really sure that's the best choice tbh. I am wondering if it would be better to pay the $1,800 and then just CLEP everything I can. Thanks for the reply!!!

Carl
ConflagrateCarl

TESC

TESC

WGU

Certifications
Cisco - CCNA
EC-Council - C|EH, C|NDA
Microsoft - MCP
ConflagrateCarl Wrote:Good morning all!

Managerial Communication - CLEP/DANTES

I believe all of these will count towards the BSBA in CIS. I am also planning on doing the Global Environment Change (ENS-314) as my Gen and Free Electives that I need for my AAS, and was told that I can also use that for my BSBA in CIS. It seems a lot of this setup is knowing what you need to do vs. what you can CLEP/DANTES, so you make the best use of your credits, and not waste time. I can see how you could end up working for 2 years on a degree that should really only take 9-10 months.

I have two thoughts:

-Managerial Communication is a course at TESC and may be able to transfer in from elsewhere but is not a CLEP or DANTES (DSST) exam. There may be something else that fits there (you'd have to talk with one of the many business majors from this site).

-Are you planning for the AAS Capstone? Depending on which AAS you are looking at it may include a capstone as is the case with the AAS in Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies or Applied Computer Studies which I see in your signature.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
cooperalex2004 Wrote:I have two thoughts:

-Managerial Communication is a course at TESC and may be able to transfer in from elsewhere but is not a CLEP or DANTES (DSST) exam. There may be something else that fits there (you'd have to talk with one of the many business majors from this site).

-Are you planning for the AAS Capstone? Depending on which AAS you are looking at it may include a capstone as is the case with the AAS in Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies or Applied Computer Studies which I see in your signature.

Yes sir, the AAS in question is the one in my sig. And yes, it does have a Capstone requirement. So I need 9 CH + the Capstone. What do you mean "Are you planning for the AAS Capstone?" Are you asking if I'm studying for it? Or if I knew it was a requirement? Thanks!

Carl
ConflagrateCarl

TESC

TESC

WGU

Certifications
Cisco - CCNA
EC-Council - C|EH, C|NDA
Microsoft - MCP
ConflagrateCarl Wrote:Yes sir, the AAS in question is the one in my sig. And yes, it does have a Capstone requirement. So I need 9 CH + the Capstone. What do you mean "Are you planning for the AAS Capstone?" Are you asking if I'm studying for it? Or if I knew it was a requirement? Thanks!

Carl

Just making sure you knew about it. A lot of people find degree plans from other users and don't realize that things change. Glad to hear you've already been planning on taking that one.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
ConflagrateCarl Wrote:Heh, the AAS is in my sig! Big Grin But it's Applied Computer Studies. I was told I need to take 12 CH for the Military Education requirement or whatever. Basically it requires me to take at least 12 CH for an AAS, but I think they waive the enrollment fee. Something like that. Not really sure that's the best choice tbh. I am wondering if it would be better to pay the $1,800 and then just CLEP everything I can. Thanks for the reply!!!

Carl

Duh! Smile I am sure using the military program will be a much better deal than paying as the enrollment fee alone if you are out-of-state is $2,958. You have this figured out - making sure than any classes you take for your AAS also fit into the BSBA. Good luck!
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
AlbaTiVo Wrote:Duh! Smile I am sure using the military program will be a much better deal than paying as the enrollment fee alone if you are out-of-state is $2,958. You have this figured out - making sure than any classes you take for your AAS also fit into the BSBA. Good luck!

Oh, I didn't realize it was so much. I'm still in the "feeler" stage, just making sure I do all my research and don't waste time and money. I guess I should ask the school this, but is there pretty much no way for someone like me to do CLEP outside of the US? I'm mobilized and we have a TINY base that doesn't have an education center or anything like that, so I am guessing I'm out of luck until I get back to the States, right? My understanding is you have to go to an actual CLEP center to do the tests. I could be wrong, again, I'm just now learning all of this. Smile
ConflagrateCarl

TESC

TESC

WGU

Certifications
Cisco - CCNA
EC-Council - C|EH, C|NDA
Microsoft - MCP
cooperalex2004 Wrote:Just making sure you knew about it. A lot of people find degree plans from other users and don't realize that things change. Glad to hear you've already been planning on taking that one.

Gotcha! Thanks for taking the time to ensure I was informed! Cheers!
ConflagrateCarl

TESC

TESC

WGU

Certifications
Cisco - CCNA
EC-Council - C|EH, C|NDA
Microsoft - MCP
ConflagrateCarl Wrote:I guess I should ask the school this, but is there pretty much no way for someone like me to do CLEP outside of the US? I'm mobilized and we have a TINY base that doesn't have an education center or anything like that, so I am guessing I'm out of luck until I get back to the States, right? My understanding is you have to go to an actual CLEP center to do the tests. I could be wrong, again, I'm just now learning all of this. Smile

I think that is more a question for your education office rather than TESC. There are quite a few military members on here that I am sure will chime in too.
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Information Literacy mysonx3 2 2,227 09-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,966 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,047 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,682 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  TESU BSBA GM Completion Timeline dexter1326 9 2,294 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help planning a TESU BSBA degree plan kietro 11 5,039 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: kietro
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,511 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,153 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,547 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker