Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP vs DANTES
what are some pros and cons taking the CLEP and the DANTES...?

I felt the DANTE exams gave the student unlimited timing while the CLEP would put so much pressure ......now i am starting to sound lazy ..
My son is studying the Human Growth and Development. (we homeschool)
Should he take the CLEP test for it or the DTTS?
Excelsior will give a letter grade for the DTTS and not the CLEP, so perhaps in that case the DTTS is better.

I look forward to your replies,
Fuggy

(We actually sit and read the whole 400 page textbook together because he is still learning basic general knowledge, vocabulary and memorizing skills. Then we back up our reading with the Peterson´s test questions. But it is cool as homeschoolers to know that, whenever we are done, my child will earn college credit for the work he has put in. That seems to motivate him.
He has already earned 16 credit hours by passing the German Language CLEP with a 67.Big Grin )
fuggy Wrote:My son is studying the Human Growth and Development. (we homeschool)
Should he take the CLEP test for it or the DTTS?
Excelsior will give a letter grade for the DTTS and not the CLEP, so perhaps in that case the DTTS is better.

I look forward to your replies,
Fuggy

(We actually sit and read the whole 400 page textbook together because he is still learning basic general knowledge, vocabulary and memorizing skills. Then we back up our reading with the Peterson´s test questions. But it is cool as homeschoolers to know that, whenever we are done, my child will earn college credit for the work he has put in. That seems to motivate him.
He has already earned 16 credit hours by passing the German Language CLEP with a 67.Big Grin )

congrads for your son on the german !!!!

I like the dantes as well... thanks for informing on the letter grade policy for excelsior ......that was good information...
It depends on what you need. I didn't need letter grades because TESC doesn't give them for CLEP or DANTES. I needed a few DSSTs because DSSTs have upper level credit exams (while CLEP doesn't).

As for which is easier, it depends on your background and the individual test. Ethics in America (DSST) was the easiest test I ever took, yet it counted as upper level credit. American Government was a very hard CLEP for me, even though I have more of a government background than "normal" (perhaps it was harder BECAUSE I did). Introduction to the Modern Middle East (DSST) proved the most difficult exam for me yet (only got a 54). I didn't even study for Analyzing and Interpreting Literature and got a 67; nor for Educational Psychology and got another score in the high sixties. My wife took most of the history/humanity CLEPs sans study and got very good scores, but she was homeschooled and had a rigorous background there.

Oh, as for timing... On CLEPs, the only one that I remember being "close" was College Mathematics. But even then, it wasn't bad (I think I had five minutes left). I don't find the time limit on CLEPs very concerning. They give you enough time. It's not like the LSAT or other standardized tests where they intentionally rush you; you are supposed to be able to finish the test.

It really depends on a lot of factors.
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
I agree with all that was said. Personally, I prefer the Dantes and while thinking about it, I do believe it is because Dantes only have 4 answer choices, whereas CLEPs have 5.
Because I'm going through the testing very fast, it seems easier for me to eliminate 3 answers in Dantes instead of 4 in CLEPs. :o
The timing in CLEPs is really more psychology. I never ran out of time and had enough time to review my answer.
Good luck to your son and congrats on the German. I'm still awaiting my grade for the New York proficiency test German.
Passed in 2007Smile and DONE!!!:eek: :
[SIZE="1"]CLEP:
30 credits
DANTES:
45 credits
ECE:
19 credits
NYU - German Proficiancy Test
16 credits
Traditional Course work:
12 credits
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 501 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,839 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 843 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,305 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,636 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,266 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,690 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,233 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,134 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,322 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser