Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades
Another update. An announcement on the Student Self Service course sign-up page currently states:
Quote:Beginning July 1st, approved online self-paced courses from Straighterline, Sophia, Study.com, Saylor and CSM Learn will need to be completed at the 80% score threshold in order to be transferable to Charter Oak. The list of transferable courses per provider may have changed as many of our previous partner agreements have expired and been renewed. Please contact your advisor for questions regarding courses you may have planned for future terms from the above organizations.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle, ss20ts
(06-23-2022, 07:01 AM)mcquacks2 Wrote: I believe TESU will likely follow suit....they like to do these things together.
Tricia

That went away ages ago - when COSC switched to not taking NCCRS, and limited their providers.  TESU did not do the same at all.

This is all on COSC - they've changed their business model or something, and are no longer wanting these students.  Whatever, their loss.  We can find other schools to go to.

(06-23-2022, 06:48 AM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 06:28 AM)topdog98 Wrote: Sorry if this has been posted already, but if you go to the Charter Oak - Study transfer page, Charter Oak has already greatly reduced the number of courses that transfer (around 55), and I think there are only 5 upper level courses listed now. https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

Those five upper-level equivalencies:
  • Finance 301: Corporate Finance (Finance elective)
  • Health 310: Huamn Resource Management in Healthcare (Health Care Admin elective)
  • Hospitality 301: Hospitality Marketing (elective)
  • Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior (Marketing elective)
  • Marketing 308: Applied Marketing (Marketing elective)

Since you posted only 7 hours ago, this has been changed, and they now only have THREE UL courses:
  • Finance 301: Corporate Finance (Finance elective)
  • Health 310: Human Resource Management in Healthcare (Health Care Admin elective)
  • Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior (Marketing elective)

They also now only accept 17 Sophia courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • carrythenothing, origamishuttle, ss20ts, topdog98
(06-23-2022, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is all on COSC - they've changed their business model or something, and are no longer wanting these students.  Whatever, their loss.  We can find other schools to go to.

To their credit, they warned me about the change (hopefully) in time to complete my three remaining UL courses on Study.com, provided I move my start date up to June 20 to lock in the catalog. My transcript is sent, but it takes time, so I'm waiting for final confirmation.

(06-23-2022, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They also now only accept 17 Sophia courses.

It looks like the number of Sophia courses has been limited for some time, with only Psychology and Sociology removed recently, as they're no longer available: https://web.archive.org/web/202101242351...g/#courses

(06-23-2022, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Since you posted only 7 hours ago, this has been changed, and they now only have THREE UL courses:

I'm curious - how is this calculated? I see 11 different 300-level courses, all transferring as electives.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(06-23-2022, 03:31 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Since you posted only 7 hours ago, this has been changed, and they now only have THREE UL courses:

I'm curious - how is this calculated? I see 11 different 300-level courses, all transferring as electives.

Of those 11 courses:
eight SDC 300s are given 3 lower credits when looking all the way on the right side of the chart.
Those are
Bus 327, CS 310, CJ 301. Eng 301, Fin 305, Hospitality 301 and 304 (only 2 credits) Marketing 308. 

Even though SDC lists as 300, COSC does not agree.

To make the 11 we're seeing, the 3 listed above are still UL as of my typing. could have changed in the last minute. (Finance 301,Health 310 Marketing 302)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-23-2022, 03:31 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is all on COSC - they've changed their business model or something, and are no longer wanting these students.  Whatever, their loss.  We can find other schools to go to.

To their credit, they warned me about the change (hopefully) in time to complete my three remaining UL courses on Study.com, provided I move my start date up to June 20 to lock in the catalog. My transcript is sent, but it takes time, so I'm waiting for final confirmation.

(06-23-2022, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They also now only accept 17 Sophia courses.

It looks like the number of Sophia courses has been limited for some time, with only Psychology and Sociology removed recently, as they're no longer available: https://web.archive.org/web/202101242351...g/#courses

You look at the right hand side - you're looking at what COSC brings courses in as, not what Study.com numbers the courses.

Locking in the catalog does NOT lock in how COSC will bring courses in going forward.  It locks in what any courses already came in as, and that's helpful.

So, my guess is, you are screwed when it comes to future coursework.  If they no longer bring in a course you were planning on bringing in as UL, then you're going to have to find somewhere else to get it (including, possibly, COSC).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-23-2022, 05:06 PM)P226mem Wrote: Of those 11 courses:
eight SDC 300s are given 3 lower credits when looking all the way on the right side of the chart.
(06-23-2022, 07:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You look at the right hand side - you're looking at what COSC brings courses in as, not what Study.com numbers the courses.

Thank you for the explanation! Somehow I missed that column.

(06-23-2022, 07:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Locking in the catalog does NOT lock in how COSC will bring courses in going forward.  It locks in what any courses already came in as, and that's helpful.

So, my guess is, you are screwed when it comes to future coursework.  If they no longer bring in a course you were planning on bringing in as UL, then you're going to have to find somewhere else to get it (including, possibly, COSC).

Correct on both counts. I only have three UL courses missing, so I completed them quickly on Study.com and sent the transcript to COSC. They gave me June 30th as the last day to record those transfers, so I'm hoping I made it in time.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:Another update. An announcement on the Student Self Service course sign-up page currently states:
Quote:Beginning July 1st, approved online self-paced courses from Straighterline, Sophia, Study.com, Saylor and CSM Learn will need to be completed at the 80% score threshold in order to be transferable to Charter Oak. The list of transferable courses per provider may have changed as many of our previous partner agreements have expired and been renewed. Please contact your advisor for questions regarding courses you may have planned for future terms from the above organizations.

Oh wow, I thought it was just the Study.com courses but they apparently are making it for all ACE or "approved providers" that transfer their courses over (not RA credits that are not from community college/universities).  For those who work harder on these ACE courses and score above the 80% on all or most of them, you shouldn't be affected.  The main thing still is that they do accept 114 credits for transfer, you can get the bulk of the inexpensive ones through ACE and the 24 RA credits from ONU or TECEP, etc, then finish the last cornerstone/capstone with them.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
Getting 80% will take more time to study and certainly increase the stress. 

For Computer Science/IT majors, that extra 10% is huge as some classes are very difficult to pass as it is.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-24-2022, 11:52 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Getting 80% will take more time to study and certainly increase the stress. 

For Computer Science/IT majors, that extra 10% is huge as some classes are very difficult to pass as it is.

Not for everyone. Some people wouldn't be happy with an 80 and always work hard to earn 90's.
(06-24-2022, 12:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-24-2022, 11:52 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Getting 80% will take more time to study and certainly increase the stress. 

Not for everyone. Some people wouldn't be happy with an 80 and always work hard to earn 90's.
Bottom line it’s going to take most people more time to prepare for exams. Whether people want to make light of it or not. Time is money. Even for people who “always work hard to earn 90’s”.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 977 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,645 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Study.com Computer Science 310:Current Trends in Computer Science & IT vanglorious 1 1,051 09-17-2020, 10:04 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA - English Comp II and study.com credits? ashkir 5 1,428 09-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,516 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,320 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,176 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 4,012 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,761 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,152 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar