Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit
I am going to be posting the below review of Jennifer Cook-DeRosa's new book Homeschooling For College Credit on the Amazon website, but I'm posting my review here on DegreeForum.net as well, because I'm sure most of the people who post here would like to congratulate Jennifer on her book. I'm also guessing that Jennifer hasn't said too much about the book because she doesn't want to appear like she is using these forums as a means to sell her book. BTW, I don't know her. I just liked her book and enjoy reading her posts here on this site.

-----------

If you are a parent of a homeschooled child then this is a MUST BUY book. It is absolutely possible for your homeschooled student (or even traditionally schooled student) to earn a substantial amount of college credit before even graduating high school. Earning an Associates Degree, or for that matter an entire Bachelors Degree is possible while still in high school. The cost of earning the credits is not only inexpensive, but the savings from following the advice in Jennifer's book will save the typical college student not only thousands of dollars but tens of thousands of dollars.

Her book covers everything from the details of how to earn the credit, to building of curriculum, to creating transcripts for applying to universities, to the study methods required to pass tests (her 6 layer method rocks), to student loans and other financial concerns, and details like knowing that earning an AS degree is FAR more valuable than earning an AAS degree. This book is an absolutely wonderful resource with information you won't find in any other book.

Paperback: Homeschooling For College Credit
Kindle Version: Homeschooling For College Credit
-----------

The book does need another round of proofreading. However, one thing I dislike more than grammar errors is a reviewer that whines about them at the expense of the wealth of knowledge found in the book, so enough said about that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Daithi's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Oulton1
I loved the book too. I did a review on Amazon that said it was good for homeschoolers, but also adults who want a degree, etc. I've recommended it to several people.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Reviewed this book too, the Rebel has, great wisdom it holds.....sorry, we are watching Star Wars III tonight. Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Great book. Let's support Jennifer by buying it, review it and recommend it.
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

OMgosh you guys are awesome. I have so much respect for the thoughts and opinions of all of you- really. Your opinion of that book matters to me! Also, what I want most is for the INFORMATION to get out there- if not through me, then someone else. But, in any event, I'm proud to have such kind words said about me. Smile I think my book already has 5 "likes" on Amazon...rockin!

On the grammar, I must comment. Let's not pretend I'm a better writer than I am. I'm a pretty terrible writer. I always write in passive voice (I know, shame on me) and I always write like I speak. HOWEVER, I had an editor (unofficially) help me with the big stuff. But, I had to take it from there. Is there anything worse than reading your own words over...and over...and over? I went through 17 physical proofs. Literally! Each time one change is made (adding a single period or changing a letter from lower to upper case are each considered "a change") you must go through the whole 5 day review process again! Plus, for extra fun, when a new file is uploaded to CreateSpace (Amazon) for review, the format changes. I don't know how. I don't know why. But it does. The first 6 books off the press have the Table of Contents on the left side facing page! Rebel I'm sure your copy is that way. I have no brain space left to care about my grammar. I'm not a writer, I'm a mom with something to say. I hope it's worth twelve bucks. Smile

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.Confusedeeya:
Congratulations Jennifer! Looks like you put a lot of work into this!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
Somebody moved this thread into the OffTopic subforum. That's too bad, because the book is specifically aimed at earning credits through CLEP/DSST etc. and the advice throughout the book covers this information in detail. Personally, I think this book really should be in the main CLEP subforum, because that is who it is aimed at helping.

As a side note, the administrators of this board should really consider adding a HomeSchool subforum. There are probably just as many, if not more, homeschool affiliated people using this site as there are military people using the site, and the military has their own subforum. BTW, I'm a veteran and not a homeschooler, so this is not a bias on my part.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Daithi's post:
  • miah
Wow, good job Jennifer. I haven't read the book but your posts always seem knowledgeable so I have complete confidence in the book.

Just last week I was on a job and learned that one of my coworkers home schools his daughter. (So picture two electricians in hardhats standing on construction site discussing this) I mentioned to him that there have been times that I have seen many high school aged kids taking CLEP/DSST tests next to me at the test center. He never heard about the program. I tried to tell him all that I have learned along the way, but it is overwhelming to someone who never even knew the avenue existed.

I just sent him the AMAZON link for your book. It may be easier to grasp in a book than having someone try to explain it in windy conditions, outdoors during a New England winter.
TESTS PASSED

Intro to Law Enforcement (70) DSST, Criminal Justice (461) DSST, US History 1 (71) CLEP, US History 2 (66) CLEP, Civil War & Reconstruction (67) DSST
Business Ethics & Society (447) DSST, Principles of Management (65) CLEP, Principles of Supervision (450) DSST, Organizational Behavior (60) DSST
Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (56) DSST, Intro to World Religions (469) DSST, Management Info Systems (448) DSST, Prin of MACROeconomics (63)
Prin of MICROeconomics (64) CLEP, Labor Relations (A) ECE, HR Management (B) ECE, Principles of Financial Accounting(65) DSST, Prin of Finance (408) Money and Banking (52) DSST
Are you sick of hearing about this yet?? Amazon ranks books- and in the "Hot New Releases in Homeschooling" I'm number 15! Amazon.com Hot New Releases: The best-selling new & future releases in Homeschooling They say they update hourly, so it may just be that I rank at 1am lol...but still feeling so blown away
That's so cool! Congratulations!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooling Leebo 201 15,452 01-24-2024, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,453 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,744 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az