Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data structures and algorithms
In I am working on the assignment for study.com data structures. I’m confused on what they’re asking for. Develop a program that asks the user to enter a capital for a U.S. state. Upon receiving the user input, the program reports whether the user input is correct. For this application, the 50 states and their capitals are stored in a two-dimensional array in order by state name. Display the current contents of the array then use a bubble sort to sort the content by capital. Next, prompt the user to enter answers for all the state capitals and then display the total correct count. The user's answer is not case-sensitive.

1. display the array of 50 states and their capitals.

2. confused here, what am i bubblesorting?

3. also confused , is the prompt suppose to ask for the capital or the state? thanks
Someone else had this same question in a different thread. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Structures
(02-26-2021, 09:59 PM)Pats20 Wrote: In I am working on the assignment for study.com data structures. I’m confused on what they’re asking for. Develop a program that asks the user to enter a capital for a U.S. state. Upon receiving the user input, the program reports whether the user input is correct. For this application, the 50 states and their capitals are stored in a two-dimensional array in order by state name. Display the current contents of the array then use a bubble sort to sort the content by capital. Next, prompt the user to enter answers for all the state capitals and then display the total correct count. The user's answer is not case-sensitive.

3. also confused , is the prompt suppose to ask for the capital or the state? thanks

You think the Data Structures assignment is hard, wait till you get to Computer Architecture.

Example of the Computer Architecture assignment:

"This assignment is for the Computer Architecture course though off-topic let's talk about Chinese and how there are 100,000 different symbols to the Chinese language and that the Chinese have a rich culture and unique clothing.

Now that you read the above sentence, you should now be fluent in Chinese so please make a 10 minute speech in Chinese talking about Computer Architecture while dressed in Chinese clothing that you custom made by hand.  And just for fun do some authentic Chinese dances."
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • unfilteredsoul
(02-27-2021, 02:30 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 09:59 PM)Pats20 Wrote: In I am working on the assignment for study.com data structures. I’m confused on what they’re asking for. Develop a program that asks the user to enter a capital for a U.S. state. Upon receiving the user input, the program reports whether the user input is correct. For this application, the 50 states and their capitals are stored in a two-dimensional array in order by state name. Display the current contents of the array then use a bubble sort to sort the content by capital. Next, prompt the user to enter answers for all the state capitals and then display the total correct count. The user's answer is not case-sensitive.

You think the Data Structures assignment is hard, wait till you get to Computer Architecture.

Example of the Computer Architecture assignment:

"This assignment is for the Computer Architecture course though off-topic let's talk about Chinese and how there are 100,000 different symbols to the Chinese language and that the Chinese have a rich culture and unique clothing.

Now that you read the above sentence, you should now be fluent in Chinese so please make a 10 minute speech in Chinese talking about Computer Architecture while dressed in Chinese clothing that you custom made by hand.  And just for fun do some authentic Chinese dances."

LOL yeah pretty much, that one I stopped and will come back to last. I'm also currently working through the Data Structures assignment, I am at the bubble sorting part too. I can partly answer your question so far.

2. You were supposed to have already added the states and capitals to the array ordered alphabetically by state, so you are re-sorting the array alphabetically by capital now (this is what I am working through now trying to figure out how to do this with bubble sort)

3. The prompt is supposed to ask the user for the capital, not the state.
Thomas Edison State University:
BA in Computer Science - Currently Pursuing (114/120 Credits)
ASNSM in Computer Science - Graduated 6/5/2020
That’s what I was thinking. You should write the assignment instructions for sdc. Lol.
lol, I still remember the pain I had on the computer architecture assignment. Honestly, I really loved my experience with study.com, for business courses it's perfect, but man some of their CS courses are just not on point with the assignment.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
I also have no clue what they want to be done with the "bubble sorting" portion of this question.  The rest of it is pretty straight forward.  But what is there to bubble sort?  I'm just going to throw a bubble sort in the end?  I was planning on basically creating a quiz game where it asks the user the state and quizzes them on the capital, but not really sure on what needs to be bubble sorted.  I'm just going to at the end of the game, bubble sort all the capitals of the states alphabetically, then go through the game and ask the state.  Just to show a  bubble sort.  

But I agree.  The CIS classes to this point have been very disappointing.  I have this and Computer Architecture left and I finish my degree 100%.  I've had to do more external studying for this outside of Study.com just to feel comfortable with the material and the assignment is a 100% crapshoot to what they really want.
Best I can remember. You bubble sort alphabetically by state and then by capital. I may be wrong though.
When you build your 2d array for states, capitals, it's supposed to start in alphabetical order by state. The bubble sort is to change to alphabetized by capital.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-07-2022, 04:53 PM)Raftingdon2 Wrote: I also have no clue what they want to be done with the "bubble sorting" portion of this question.  The rest of it is pretty straight forward.  But what is there to bubble sort?  I'm just going to throw a bubble sort in the end?  I was planning on basically creating a quiz game where it asks the user the state and quizzes them on the capital, but not really sure on what needs to be bubble sorted.  I'm just going to at the end of the game, bubble sort all the capitals of the states alphabetically, then go through the game and ask the state.  Just to show a  bubble sort.  

But I agree.  The CIS classes to this point have been very disappointing.  I have this and Computer Architecture left and I finish my degree 100%.  I've had to do more external studying for this outside of Study.com just to feel comfortable with the material and the assignment is a 100% crapshoot to what they really want.

I think the Computer Architecture course is a bit easier now that they added the extra assignment.  I would do the exam first, then the binary assignment. By that point, you should know how points you need on the APU assignment to pass which shouldn't be much. 

Then you have the option to
  1. Spend 10hrs or less on the APU assignment, take a low grade, and move on with life. 
  2. Spend as much time as you want, and try to go for a high grade which could require 40-80hrs of work. 
The assignments for Data Structures and Computer Architecture do require studying outside Study.com.  The UL Database Management you shouldn't need much outside help other than a convenient list of SQL commands
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DATA STRUCTURES & ALGORITHMS gams007 17 2,628 03-14-2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Udacity: Data Analyst NanoDegree review/material Seraphgrim 8 2,088 02-24-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Seraphgrim
  Computer Science 201 | Data Structures & Algorithms akr680 2 1,500 08-31-2021, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Study.com Data Structures Review armstrongsubero 17 4,241 03-27-2021, 12:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SDC Data Structures Assignment Turkish 10 2,557 02-08-2021, 08:07 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Statistics.com ? BS Data Science and Analytics TESU abs_co 7 1,764 07-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Confirmation SDC transfers TESU Data Structures armstrongsubero 33 5,094 04-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com Data Structures and Algorithms udi 8 2,581 06-10-2019, 03:24 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Has anyone completed data structures yet? udi 9 2,285 05-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Last Post: NolaRice
  CIS Testing Update - Computing and Algorithms armstrongsubero 10 2,286 03-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Last Post: posabsolute