Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do-over - what career would you pick?
(05-23-2019, 05:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: On the other end is the State of Texas. What they pay employees of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice is disgraceful, and they wonder why they can't find enough people to work in their prisons or monitor parolees. They do get a decent retirement, but they'll take 11% out of every paycheck.

Well, you'll be happy to know that CA will crash and burn one of these days, and State employees won't be getting nearly the retirement benefits they thought they would.  There is NO POSSIBLE WAY we can pay all of those retirees.  It's estimated that CA has a $1Trillion unfunded pension liability between state and local, and the hinky accounting they allow make it impossible to know for certain.  We will be fleeing the state in about 3 years, to sell our house before the market crashes and people start heading for the hills (I give it 10-15 years).

Yeah, I know that doesn't make it better to live in a state that is on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Sorry.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • StoicJ
(05-23-2019, 06:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 05:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: On the other end is the State of Texas. What they pay employees of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice is disgraceful, and they wonder why they can't find enough people to work in their prisons or monitor parolees. They do get a decent retirement, but they'll take 11% out of every paycheck.

Well, you'll be happy to know that CA will crash and burn one of these days, and State employees won't be getting nearly the retirement benefits they thought they would.  There is NO POSSIBLE WAY we can pay all of those retirees.  It's estimated that CA has a $1Trillion unfunded pension liability between state and local, and the hinky accounting they allow make it impossible to know for certain.  We will be fleeing the state in about 3 years, to sell our house before the market crashes and people start heading for the hills (I give it 10-15 years).

Yeah, I know that doesn't make it better to live in a state that is on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Sorry.

We're not going broke. We're just hiring immigrants to work in the prisons (but can't find enough), prison staff members are being assaulted and murdered due to shortcuts being taken, and many parolees are going unsupervised for months at a time. I'm sure there's a happy medium.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-23-2019, 05:20 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Actively working on my "do-over" from law enforcement to medicine. I only have a handful of pre-req classes to finish and am submitting my applications to medical school for next year's class. So, thusly, my goal is to become a physician, and my dream is to become a surgeon.  Big Grin I'd encourage anyone who wants it to pursue it. There's always a way to make it work.

My brother just graduated medical school last week and begins residency as an ER Physician next month. It is a rigorous journey and you will miss family events/milestones but if it is your passion then it is very rewarding. Good luck on your journey!
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
Although I don't currently have the career that I want, I'm pretty much going for what I want right now. I've finished up my math degree and am planning to complete the Computer Science degree at TESU this year. I also plan to complete engineering degrees as well a little later.

However, if I had to choose then it would be pursuing a double Bachelor's degree in AE and Astrophysics at Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach and maybe take a few flying classes there. Masters degree in Space Studies at UND then I'd do my Ph.D. in AE at UC Boulder or something. My dream career is working for NASA, then eventually into science policy for the WH or some gov. org. and teach at a college.
ghwang808 Wrote:Although I don't currently have the career that I want, I'm pretty much going for what I want right now. I've finished up my math degree and am planning to complete the Computer Science degree at TESU this year. I also plan to complete engineering degrees as well a little later.

However, if I had to choose then it would be pursuing a double Bachelor's degree in AE and Astrophysics at Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach and maybe take a few flying classes there. Masters degree in Space Studies at UND then I'd do my Ph.D. in AE at UC Boulder or something. My dream career is working for NASA, then eventually into science policy for the WH or some gov. org. and teach at a college.

Wow! That's awesome. Haha, my dream was to go study something in the field of Neuro-Science OR work as a research scientist and conduct clinical trials for Cancer. I took the TESU BSBA as a check the box degree as it was cheap/easy/fast. I was debating and thinking of a TESU CS/Math double major degree, but finally decided on Bio/CS as Biology is my first choice.

Just wondering, if you're really close to completing the CS degree from TESU, you may want to see if you can get it all done by late August. If my guess is correct, you need only a handful of CS courses that can be done entirely through Study.com, it'll save you from doing 24 credits in CS later and an extra grad + residency waiver fees.

I would recommend a TESU Double CS/Math major vs two degrees at TESU and then getting a third degree for Engineering. (Having a double major looks better (that's what I would go for instead if I had the choice, wait, I am!!) From looking at your previous post, you should be close. Do you think you can do 5 Study.com courses a month? If you can, just two months and you're done with your BA Comp Sci as well...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-09-2019, 08:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
ghwang808 Wrote:Although I don't currently have the career that I want, I'm pretty much going for what I want right now. I've finished up my math degree and am planning to complete the Computer Science degree at TESU this year. I also plan to complete engineering degrees as well a little later.

Wow! That's awesome.  Haha, my dream was to go study something in the field of Neuro-Science OR work as a research scientist and conduct clinical trials for Cancer.  I took the TESU BSBA as a check the box degree as it was cheap/easy/fast.  I was debating and thinking of a TESU CS/Math double major degree, but finally decided on Bio/CS as Biology is my first choice.

Just wondering, if you're really close to completing the CS degree from TESU, you may want to see if you can get it all done by late August.  If my guess is correct, you need only a handful of CS courses that can be done entirely through Study.com, it'll save you from doing 24 credits in CS later and an extra grad + residency waiver fees.

I would recommend a TESU Double CS/Math major vs two degrees at TESU and then getting a third degree for Engineering.  (Having a double major looks better (that's what I would go for instead if I had the choice, wait, I am!!)  From looking at your previous post, you should be close.   Do you think you can do 5 Study.com courses a month? If you can, just two months and you're done with your BA Comp Sci as well...
Nice! Neuroscience is really freaking interesting. I LOVED bio 1 and 2 and had thought about majoring in Biology.

I'm going to be doing a double Math/CS. I decided against doing it but now made the decision to go for it. I need 10 classes and I believe I can do 8 or 9 through STudy.com. I'm going to be applying for a summer scholarship at TESU so I can complete the last class(es) for basaically almost for free if I qualify. I'm currently enrolled for classes starting in August for my engineering degree. I can try to do 5 classes a month. Are you almost done with your degrees?
(06-09-2019, 08:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I was debating and thinking of a TESU CS/Math double major degree, but finally decided on Bio/CS as Biology is my first choice.

I'm glad you decided and decided on this Smile

Dream job?
1. Farming. Managing syndicates I put together myself. So a principal, not an employee.
2. Rehabbing real estate. I was into that for a few years. Didn't have a family and worked 100-hr weeks, and LOVED it.

I would NOT want to build a business in the USA. I have interests overseas and am looking forward to getting back to those.

Degree? Accounting.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
I always wanted to be a jet engine mechanic when I was a kid.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
I was pretty adamant when I was a kid—vet. Then I became a young adult and decided vet tech, cause they do all of the work and it’s only a 2 year degree. Then I decided I actually wanted to make money and trained dogs for awhile. That was great, but if I want to make money on my own, I need to be able to purchase land....and I have terrible credit. So now I’m here, in health information management.

I don’t know if I would change what I’m doing, but I definitely wouldn’t have put it off for so long that I lost my ability to get 75% tuition and fees covered at any Florida college or university (Bright Futures).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,071 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,216 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 683 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 768 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  ScholarMatch: Become a Volunteer College/Career Coach! PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 9 1,648 06-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Career changes in a lifetime Ideas 8 1,995 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  For those of you who have completely switched career fields... Nodaclu 25 3,964 04-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Nodaclu
  Career Options kalishakti 21 3,376 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  HR career with Management Degree? Regards 6 2,791 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM