Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Enrolled Option Gone From the Tuition Comparison Chart
sanantone Wrote:I swear that if TESU tries to apply these changes retroactively, I will complain to every applicable government agency. I will even sue. We could possibly file a class action lawsuit that will scare them into honoring their contract with the students.

I agree. I am getting ready to apply for graduation on July 1, I have 5 out of 8 courses needed for residency (all TECEP's), I am registered to take my last 3 TECEP's in the May term. If they change it on me, I will lose my mind! And definitely threaten to sue. I can't even imagine that they would try to pull this at this point. You can't change the catalog requirements on people when they are locked in.

But I don't think it will come to that - I think they will have to stick to the catalog that you're under, and if it says nothing about a cornerstone, and TECEP's being available for residency, then they will have to go with that.

For something that is not stated in the catalog, like being able to transfer in the capstone for the BSBA, I'm not sure. That sounds more like a general policy issue that they can change if they want. But for anything listed in the catalog, I think they're stuck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I've never heard of a GPA requirement at TESU, and I've been around for about 4 years now. They have a GPA requirement that you have to meet to bring in credits (a 2.0), but you don't have to GET a GPA through a course with them. I haven't taken anything except TECEP's and I show a GPA being met from all of my previous stuff (3 different colleges). I will graduate from there with no GPA at all.

I haven't seen it directly from TESC myself, but others have mentioned it a few times on the forums. My own eval currently shows sort of the reverse. It says my institutional GPA is "met" but my overall GPA is "not met." Maybe it won't say the overall GPA is met until I've completed all the required credits. If that's the case, then I'll dance a little jig, as it means even with their new system things just got much cheaper for me -- as I can take the residency waiver and not pay for a single TESC course or TECEP.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
dfrecore Wrote:There is no residency to fulfill with the Comprehensive plan.

Enrollment into the Comprehensive tuition plan is the residency and no need for the waiver after it runs out. So if you complete a AA and go back for a BA you will be good. Unless they change and specifically state that you have to fulfill a new 16cr residency for the new degree, but for now it's 16cr for either degree.

dfrecore Wrote:Also, saying that the residency waiver plus the capstone is the true cost of the capstone is kind of a strange way to look at it. Looking at it your way, you could also assign it to ANY class you want; you could say that the TEEX Cybersecurity for Everyone course cost $2000, so you shouldn't transfer it in. Really, you should divide the $2000 residency waiver amongst ALL of your credits you bring into the school ($2000/116cr=$17.24/cr). Or, just count it as an enrollment fee, or a graduation fee.

Well I was inaccurate with the cost, actually it's going to be $3,800 for the residency waiver $2,000 (Same price for in or out of state), capstone $1,500 (out of state), and cornerstone $300 (Same price for in or out of state). Those will be the minimum requirements to graduate with a BA plus app. and grad fees if you bring in 117 credits. I never said not to transfer any classes. If you bring in 84 credits (free, clep, dsst, and from other institutions to get credits) and do the comprehensive and complete the 36 credits and the cornerstone, which is included in the tuition. There have been members who want to have a GPA, raise their GPA, or have concerns with having an all test out degree, because of certain grad schools they want to attend. This can help solve those issues. I look at the waiver as giving money away and some look at it as a basic enrollment fee. It's like being strong-armed, but that's my opinion.
Seton Hall University - MA HRTD
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA GM in progress
Thomas Edison State College - BA CJ
Thomas Edison State College - AAS ESST
Middlesex County College - AS CJ

NJ PTC
New Jersey Regional Community Police Institute
Methods of Instruction

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber Security for Business Professionals

Sophia
Accounting
I spoke with my rep at TESU today, and even he was blindsided by the recent changes. I am "enrolled" in the Pay Per Credit, but haven't taken or paid for any TECEPs yet.
After talking to him for close to an hour, I determined I would sign up for the Enrolled Option by weeks end, and he suggested to do it as soon as I could.
The E-Packs, according to my rep, were not the same price as the TECEPs, but the same price as a course at TESU, so $385 per credit (15 cr x $385 + 1 Credit Cornerstone @ $300 = $6075 and 16 required residency credits ). I got buried at work today and never got a chance to enroll, but will be on the phone in the morning to pony up the $1787 for NJ Annual Enrollment fee.
TESU BALS/2019
Capstone LIB-495 April 2019
Study.com/NFA/Sophia/Cisco/Institutes
TECEP: 15 | University: 4 | DLIFLC: 45 | JST: 45 | TEEX: 6
Only TESU grades show up on the transcripts. Your other college courses or assessments will only show the credits you received for them. On your academic evaluation your grades will be posted from other colleges, but won't be part of TESU GPA.
Seton Hall University - MA HRTD
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA GM in progress
Thomas Edison State College - BA CJ
Thomas Edison State College - AAS ESST
Middlesex County College - AS CJ

NJ PTC
New Jersey Regional Community Police Institute
Methods of Instruction

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber Security for Business Professionals

Sophia
Accounting
I don't have a problem with this Residency Waiver Fee myself. If you estimate $1,500 for the capstone, $2,000 for waiver fee, $100 average for each CLEP, DSST, SL, ALEKS, etc. (you'll need 39 of them + capstone for 120 credits) so $3,900 total, $300 for the cornerstone course, ~$300 for graduation fee then the grand total is $8,000. That isn't too bad.

Just keep in mind that TESU has very liberal credit transfer policies. Other than the Cornerstone and Capstone courses you don't have to take any other courses at TESU. This is also $8,000 for your entire degree. Even most public universities charge more than this for a single year of tuition. Heck, you may pay more than this for just your books at some universities (40 courses at $200 in book fees per course).

If you want the cheapest degree possible then try Patten University. They'll allow you to transfer in 90 credits in CLEP, DSST, SL, ALEKS, etc. So you will only need to take 30 credits at Patten (i.e. 10 courses), and they only charge $350 a month or $1,400 for a semester. If you paid $3,000 for the 90 credits that you transferred into Patten, and then busted butt and completed your last 10 courses at Patten in one semester your total cost would be $4,400. You'll probably have to add an application fee and a graduation fee to this, but you could still do it for under $5,000. The trade off is that you are severely limited in your choice of degree.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Daithi Wrote:I don't have a problem with this Residency Waiver Fee myself. If you estimate $1,500 for the capstone, $2,000 for waiver fee, $100 average for each CLEP, DSST, SL, ALEKS, etc. (you'll need 39 + capstone for 120 credits) so $3,900 total, $300 for the cornerstone course, ~$300 for graduation fee then the grand total is $8,000. That isn't too bad.

Just keep in mind that TESU has very liberal credit transfer policies. Other than the Cornerstone and Capstone courses you don't have to take any other courses at TESU. This is also $8,000 for your entire degree. Even most public universities charge more than this for a single year of tuition. Heck, you may more than this for just your books at some universities (40 courses at $200 in book fees per course).

If you want the cheapest degree possible then try Patten University. They'll allow you to transfer in 90 credits in CLEP, DSST, SL, ALEKS, etc. So you will only need to take 30 credits at Patten (i.e. 10 courses), and they only charge $350 a month or $1,400 for a semester. If you paid $3,000 for the 90 credits that you transferred into Patten, and then busted butt and completed your last 10 courses at Patten in one semester your total cost would be $4,400. You'll probably have to add an application fee and a graduation fee to this, but you could still do it for under $5,000. The trade off is that you are severely limited in your choice of degree.

Patten isn't all that flexible when it comes to transfer credits, at least that was my experience. They told me I was 60 credits away from a business degree. I believe I was less than 30 away at TESU at the time. If you're starting from scratch, Patten might be flexible. But, I believe that some of the BAs should come under $7,000 if you utilize Saylor, ALEKS, and free courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
alzee Wrote:I haven't seen it directly from TESC myself, but others have mentioned it a few times on the forums. My own eval currently shows sort of the reverse. It says my institutional GPA is "met" but my overall GPA is "not met." Maybe it won't say the overall GPA is met until I've completed all the required credits. If that's the case, then I'll dance a little jig, as it means even with their new system things just got much cheaper for me -- as I can take the residency waiver and not pay for a single TESC course or TECEP.

Slight correction or omission. My academic evaluation has a few columns and I missed one. The institutional GPA also has a column titled "required" which is empty. The "overall GPA - required" column states 2.0, and that is the one currently showing as "not met." I've emailed advising to get clarification on this and other questions in light of the recent changes.

I think worst case it's going to be $2000 for the waiver and $500 for the 1cr course for a GPA, if needed.

I also asked for clarification on the enrolled/not-enrolled/6mo question, as I haven't found anything that states this in their official documentation.
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:I think worst case it's going to be $2000 for the waiver and $500 for the 1cr course for a GPA, if needed.

Actually, if you want a GPA there, wouldn't it be better to take the Cornerstone for $300? I know people are complaining about that (I would be too), but it will get you a GPA there, so it's not COMPLETELY wasted. Just MOSTLY wasted! :-P
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Actually, if you want a GPA there, wouldn't it be better to take the Cornerstone for $300? I know people are complaining about that (I would be too), but it will get you a GPA there, so it's not COMPLETELY wasted. Just MOSTLY wasted! :-P

I don't "want" a GPA -- I am trying to determine, for certain, if I *need* a GPA. My academic assessment says that my overall GPA is "not met", that a 2.0 is required and my current GPA is " ".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,020 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,675 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,901 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  TESU ASBA Open course option Mab81 3 1,458 06-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - Study.com Tuition Discount mrshill818 27 7,489 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior 117 Transfer Bachelor Option harrypotter 2 1,495 01-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  So i enrolled into the lib 495 capstone Chef945 6 1,817 10-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Chef945
  Only pursuing AA, best option for Big 3? walkingbyfaith 11 2,887 08-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Last Post: walkingbyfaith
  Tesu and Enrolled status for loan deferment Laddibugg 5 992 07-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Laddibugg
  Option(s) for replacing TESU CIS-107 (Computer Concepts and Applications) allvia 8 3,001 04-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Last Post: keepsingin