Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exams to Complete Degree?
Took 2...got C's on both, making my Excelsior GPA 2.0...considered retaking to improve Excelsior GPA, but in the end it didn't matter since cumulative GPA was over 3.0 and good enough for Grad school.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Thank you all for answering this. It has been helpful to me.

Peace123, I did like and agree with your first answer. It just showed me that I needed to clarify my question. Thanks for answering both!

Creationstory, how are you getting 30 upper-level credits through testing, if you are not using Excelsior exams?

Any more responses to my survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Yes- I plan on taking 4.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
I took all four Uexcel exams, since they were free and all, but I got enough upper level with the GRE Psych plus four DSST exams, and I am very relieved that I won't have to pay for the ECEs for enough upper level. However, I think I would have enjoyed studying for ECE American Dream. I had that one in mind originally before I knew my GRE score. If I had enough extra time and money I would still take it, but those ECEs are darn expensive, imho.

I think I passed uexcel psych and poli. sci., but the psych will duplicate, so I will end up with just three credits from taking all four of those, lmao. I only knew three answers on the physics one, it was very difficult. No way did I pass that one. And I don't know what I was thinking to even attempt Calculus, but I figured, what the heck, it's a free exam.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
NAP Wrote:Creationstory, how are you getting 30 upper-level credits through testing, if you are not using Excelsior exams?

I'm curious about this as well. I believe that there are only 3 DSST upper-level arts & science exams...Civil War, Money & Banking, and Soviet Union. A BS-L from Excelsior requires 21 upper-level arts & science credits.

NAP,

In answer to your question, yes, I do plan to take ECE exams in route to a BS-L at EC.
-Ethics
-Cultural Diversity
-Juvenile Deliquency
-Gerentology
-Adulthood & Aging
-Human Resource Mgmt
EXCELSIOR COLLEGE
BS-LS: AoF Admin/Mgmt Studies
0 to BS in under 9 months

EXCELSIOR CLASSES (7 Credits)
College Math (A) Eng Comp (B) Info Lit (P)

CLEP (42 Credits)
A&I Lit-6CH (71) SS&H-6CH (66) Humanities-6CH (65) Mgmt (66) Marketing (66) HG&Dev (61) Info Sys&Comp App (60) Sociology (60) Psych (59) Business Law (55) Am Gov't (50)

DSST (57 Credits)
Found of Ed (67-A) Fund of Counseling (67-A) Intro to Business (65-A) Civil War & Recon (62-A) Tech Writing (59-A) Intro Law Enforcement (59-A) Principles of Supervision (58-A) Org Behavior (57-A) Environ&Humanity (53-B) Anthropology (52-B) Astronomy (52-B) World Religions (450) Substance Abuse (450) Ethics in America (447) HTYH (433) Intro to Comp (432) Personal Finance (422) Criminal Justice (409) Mgmt Info Sys (409)

ECE (21 Credits)
HR Mgmt (A) Cultural Diversity © Ethics © Organizational Behavior (B) Found of Gerontology © Psych of A&A © Social Psych ©

Up Next:
MPA @ AMU stating Sept 09
I've taken 5 ECE's (World Pop., Ethics, Cultural Diversity, Org. Behavior, English Comp and of course Info Lit.) to satisfy my BS requirements.
BS Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
I have taken two so far. The first one being the college writing that I got a B in. The second one, I am still waiting for my results.

I took a Uexcel BETA Political Science Exam in eary December. Apparently, they are still waiting for the BETA period to end, which should be sometime in February. Until then, I will not know my score.

This test was the most difficult for me to study. This was before I knew of instacert and these forums and I basically just tried to read a whole textbook of political science (took me 2 1/2 months) and just quizzed myself. After all this, i find out I didn't even need the class. I should have studied another subject and would have probably knocked out 3-4 CLEP exams during the hellish time I took studying the UEXCEL exam.
NAP Wrote:Thank you all for answering this. It has been helpful to me.

Peace123, I did like and agree with your first answer. It just showed me that I needed to clarify my question. Thanks for answering both!

Creationstory, how are you getting 30 upper-level credits through testing, if you are not using Excelsior exams?

Any more responses to my survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is for the general BS in Liberal arts. With 2 depths i'm not doing any major

English - Staighterline (you can find informaiton on the board) (3 credits)

General Requirements - 33 credits

Humanities - Freshman Composition without essay (6 credits); Ethics in America (3 credits) A & Interpret Literature ( 3 of 6 credits)

Math/Natural Sciences - College Math Clep (6 credits) Clep Natural Sciences (6 credits)

Social Sciences - Clep Social Sciences (6 credits) Clep Sociology (3 credits)

Depth 1 History 12 credits

US History 1 (3 credits)

US History 2 (3 credits)

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union (3 credits) upper level

Civil War DSST (3 credits upper level)

Depth 2 - Business 12 credits

Intro to Bus Dsst (3 credits)

Money and Banking DSST (3 credits) upper level

Bus Law Clep (3 credits)

Bus Law II (3 credits) DSST upper level

------ 60 credits so far

Intro to Psych

English Literature (3 of 6 credits)

American Literature (6 credits)

Drug Alchol & Abuse (3 credits upper level)

Intro to Computers Dsst (3 credits)

Clep CIS - (3 credits)

CLep Psych (3 credits)

Statistics (Aleks) (3 credits)

College Algebra (aleks) (3 credits)

PreCal (aleks) (3 credits)

Clep Humanities (6 credits)

Englis Literature Clep (3 of 6 credits credits)

Intro to World Religion (3 credits upper level)

Clep Calculus (3 credits) upper level

Prin of Finance (3 credits) DSST upper level

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union (3 credits) upper level

Management Information System (3 credits) DSST Upper Level

Envi and Race to Save Humity DSST 3 credits Upper level

A & Interpret Literature ( 3 of 6 credits)

this is 60 credits

you have your 30 credits in upper level

60 credits

1 Credit Penn Foster Information Literacy

if anyone has questions about what is considered to be upper level you can always call up excelsior.. go thru my upper level list and ask them course by course if those courses are considered to be upper level or you can email them. thanks and all the best

CS
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
I just sent them an email about:

DSST Environment & Humanity
DSST Intro. to World Religions
CLEP Calculus

Because I really think those three are lower level at Excelsior, and I don't want to see you take those exams for upper level if they aren't! I usually hear back from Excelsior within one business day, I will report back.
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I already received a reply:

Dear Alissa,

The following are all lower level exams:
DSST Environment & Humanity: The Race to save the Planet
CLEP Calculus

Sincerely,

Jodi Bernstein
LA Advising Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Message:
Are these exams lower level or upper level?

DSST Environment & Humanity: The Race to save the Planet
CLEP Calculus

I thought they were all lower level, but I just wanted to check. Thanks for your time!

~Alissa
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,221 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,868 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,463 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,351 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,677 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,884 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,780 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,021 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,967 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,327 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627