Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally got my eval back from TESC. Need advice
So I have 14 SH Remaining for my degree ( I don't know what SH means, study hours?).

-ENC 102 1 course
-Math 3 credits
-Sociology Electives in group 2- 7 credits.
-Lib 495 3 credits

From what I can understand I can take the electives by TECEP or Guided Study.

What about ENC 102, Math and Lib?

I was awarded aid, but do not want take much if at all possible. Are the TECEP and Guided study courses covered?

I am going to run my plan by an adviser before I register but wanted to pass it by you guys first and what tuition plan should I select?
SH means semester hour (one semester credit).

For your ENC, Math, and LIB495 you'll find these as a few of the ways to get credit (there are a ton of different paths to choose from):

-ENC-102 - Take the course at TESC, the TECEP, or take the CLEP exam College Composition (which would duplicate your credits in ENC-101 but give you what you need in ENC-102).

-Math - Take a look at ALEKS which will allow you to take Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, or other courses to meet the requirement. Note that Elementary Algebra doesn't work even though it has ACE approval. You can also look at exams or taking a course of your choice at TESC.

-LIB-495 - That is the capstone course and you'll have to take that to get your degree.

Financial aid will only cover guided study or online courses (and not TECEP exams or other outside exam programs).

beestrng Wrote:So I have 14 SH Remaining for my degree ( I don't know what SH means, study hours?).

-ENC 102 1 course
-Math 3 credits
-Sociology Electives in group 2- 7 credits.
-Lib 495 3 credits

From what I can understand I can take the electives by TECEP or Guided Study.

What about ENC 102, Math and Lib?

I was awarded aid, but do not want take much if at all possible. Are the TECEP and Guided study courses covered?

I am going to run my plan by an adviser before I register but wanted to pass it by you guys first and what tuition plan should I select?
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Are guided study/online classes proctored for these classes?

Also, if I have a lot of time on my hands are guided study classes to go if I wanted to complete them asap?
beestrng Wrote:Are guided study/online classes proctored for these classes?

Also, if I have a lot of time on my hands are guided study classes to go if I wanted to complete them asap?

Most of the TESC courses have a proctored mid-term and/or final exam to complete regardless of whether it is online or guided study. For that you'd want to read the syllabus which is available for the course you want. As for completing courses faster, you'll find that guided study is more flexible but still requires the same proctored exams and depending on your mentor's grading speed will likely take 12 weeks still. With the courses you have left, your best bet is to complete the exams and then do the capstone to finish. Other than the 12 week capstone course the time needed would be in your control (although things like grading the ENC-102 TECEP or the CLEP for College Composition will take some time as well).
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I hope this isn't confusing. If you're on the Comprehensive Tuition Plan which is a flat rate that covers up to 36 credit hours a year, as long as you take at least 24 credit hours in guided study or online courses a year for your full award, you can take TECEPs and ePacks without any extra charge to make up the rest of the 36 credit hours. Technically, financial aid only covers online and guided study courses, but since the Comprehensive Tuition Plan is a flat rate that covers all credit options at TESC, you won't have to pay out of pocket for TECEPs and ePacks as long as you take enough guided study/online courses for financial aid. If you're on the Enrolled Options Plan, then financial aid pays per credit hour for the guided study and online courses. You would have to either pay for TECEPs and ePacks out of pocket or use your refund check if you get one.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I hope this isn't confusing. If you're on the Comprehensive Tuition Plan which is a flat rate that covers up to 36 credit hours a year, as long as you take at least 24 credit hours in guided study or online courses a year for your full award, you can take TECEPs and ePacks without any extra charge to make up the rest of the 36 credit hours. Technically, financial aid only covers online and guided study courses, but since the Comprehensive Tuition Plan is a flat rate that covers all credit options at TESC, you won't have to pay out of pocket for TECEPs and ePacks as long as you take enough guided study/online courses for financial aid. If you're on the Enrolled Options Plan, then financial aid pays per credit hour for the guided study and online courses. You would have to either pay for TECEPs and ePacks out of pocket or use your refund check if you get one.

They only need 14 credits to finish so I'm going to point out that the comprehensive plan is a bad idea in this case. Comprehensive is a great solution for many people but to finish the last 14 credits it doesn't work out.
How about Straighterline for the math course or any of the others?
cooperalex2004 Wrote:They only need 14 credits to finish so I'm going to point out that the comprehensive plan is a bad idea in this case. Comprehensive is a great solution for many people but to finish the last 14 credits it doesn't work out.

I didn't notice that part of the post. I just quickly skimmed over it. My bad.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I was under the impression TECEPs and PLA's were not covered by financial aid
Sterling Archer Wrote:I was under the impression TECEPs and PLA's were not covered by financial aid

They aren't, but if the tuition is paid in full under the comprehensive tuition plan, then TECEPs and ePacks are essentially free. TESC's comprehensive tuition plan is around $8,300 a year and it covers up to 36 credits in online/guided study courses, TECEPs, and ePacks. Financial aid will pay out a full award if you take 24 credits in online or guided study courses for the year. If your financial aid covered the whole $8,300, that leaves 12 credits you can still take under the flat rate. Since you already met your full time attendance requirements by taking 24 guided study or online courses, TESC let's you complete the remaining 12 credits any way you choose.

In other words, the tuition is going to be $8,300 whether you take 24 credits or 36 credits in OL/GS courses. The government will pay the whole $8,300 as long as you take 24 credits, but TESC's deal is that you get up to 36 credits. The government is not paying for TECEPs and ePacks; they just come with the deal. TESC is not going to tell you that your last 12 credits have to be OS/GL courses because your tuition was paid for by financial aid because the government is going to pay the same amount regardless.

Since TESC changed its PLA system, financial aid does cover the two required, introductory PLA courses. These courses are worth credit and come with a grade. Financial aid does not cover the portfolio assessment fee, however. When you're taking less than 24 credit hours per year, then the enrolled options plan is the best deal. This is not a flat rate, so TECEPs and ePacks would either have to be paid for out of pocket or with leftover money from your financial aid disbursement. You get a refund check to help pay for additional education costs (books, computer, software, etc.) if your award is more than your tuition and fees. Many people use this money to pay for CLEPs and other outside sources of credit.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,989 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,207 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,703 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,171 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  I'm back. So much has changed! Snickerdoodle 9 2,107 06-01-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,424 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Looking for advice about finishing my degree needdegree123 20 3,113 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,695 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127
  Canadian Looking for Degree Advice Dr. Canuck 14 3,220 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on TESU degree plan Tripletmom 1 1,066 04-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore