Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Term Free at Walden!
(12-03-2018, 06:44 PM)allvia Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 06:22 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 04:15 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Well, I got them the damn letter saying I graduated (which they said would suffice), sent them the last evaluation from Excelsior that shows that I completed all requirements for my degree and lists every class and grade, they still won't admit me without something saying it's an unofficial transcript.  

Now I'm irritated because it's stupid.  And... I'm out.

I better change my signature back to the old one.

This is frustrating! Hopefully you can get something worked out somehow. Why does Excelsior not provide transcripts? How does one expect to go to graduate school without that?

Excelsior does supply transcripts - official transcripts.  Due to this offer being time sensitive GoodYellowDogs dosn't have the time for the official copy to arrive by postal mail in time to start 12/03/18 (today).  They would have given a 'conditional acceptance' with the unofficial transcript (conditional based on receiving the official in the mail before end of term)

I didn't start today either.  They have not created my email address so I cannot log in.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(12-03-2018, 07:25 PM)videogamesrock Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 06:44 PM)allvia Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 06:22 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 04:15 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Well, I got them the damn letter saying I graduated (which they said would suffice), sent them the last evaluation from Excelsior that shows that I completed all requirements for my degree and lists every class and grade, they still won't admit me without something saying it's an unofficial transcript.  

This is frustrating! Hopefully you can get something worked out somehow. Why does Excelsior not provide transcripts? How does one expect to go to graduate school without that?

Excelsior does supply transcripts - official transcripts.  Due to this offer being time sensitive GoodYellowDogs dosn't have the time for the official copy to arrive by postal mail in time to start 12/03/18 (today).  They would have given a 'conditional acceptance' with the unofficial transcript (conditional based on receiving the official in the mail before end of term)

I didn't start today either.  They have not created my email address so I cannot log in.

I was admitted on Friday, I didn't get my email address from them until today (next business day)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[quote pid='274907' dateline='1543883146']
[quote pid='274887' dateline='1543880640']
[quote pid='274880' dateline='1543879333']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was admitted on Friday, I didn't get my email address from them until today (next business day)

Did you get anything completed today?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(12-03-2018, 04:15 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Now I'm irritated because it's stupid.  And... I'm out.

Did you try logging into Excelsior to see if they offer e-transcripts? Or, alternatively, try calling the school to see if they use an e-transcript service. There are a few including National Student Clearinghouse & Parchment... which typically are very fast and might even be automated. It might be worth checking.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(12-03-2018, 07:40 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Did you get anything completed today?

Not really day 1, I will today - day 2.  I misread an instruction in the email (in my rush to login) and caused my own delay - which Walden quickly made me aware of.  I did set up my Learning Plan (which is what they call arranging what you're going to tackle first), and have my Academic Advisor call set up for later this morning.

What I did learn is that the Concentration Courses (Project Management) are LOCKED - I can add them to my Learning Plan, but cannot access them (I can access the course and materials for all the others).  I'll find out what the process is for opening them today. I suspect you need to get through a certain % of the core courses then the Academic Advisor will open them - this would be perfectly reasonable, so I don't have issue with it. Also, the concentration courses will likely require more time and attention from me; especially since I am taking this concentration to prepare for a much larger exam (PMP)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(12-03-2018, 09:51 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 04:15 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Now I'm irritated because it's stupid.  And... I'm out.

Did you try logging into Excelsior to see if they offer e-transcripts? Or, alternatively, try calling the school to see if they use an e-transcript service. There are a few including National Student Clearinghouse & Parchment... which typically are very fast and might even be automated. It might be worth checking.

Tried everything, but finally got it from a file when i applied to WGU. Smile

Okay, they have my transcript. Fortunately I found my WGU file and it had a copy of my transcript. Uploaded it last night at midnight, now waiting for my magic key Smile
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

[-] The following 1 user Likes GoodYellowDogs's post:
  • allvia
Woohoo! And it's a go, great job getting your transcripts together GoodYellowDogs! Let's see what this program brings to the table and how it works out, I'm getting giddy seeing people go through it.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(12-03-2018, 11:48 AM)sanantone Wrote: But, the question was how many in the field have a degree in social entrepreneurship. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people with criminal justice degrees who want to become FBI agents or some other kind of federal law enforcement officer, but a small percentage end up working in the field. On the other hand, there are many federal law enforcement officers who have non-CJ degrees. 
To put it differently, what percentage of people doing social entrepreneurship consulting have social entrepreneurship degrees?

Sometimes, people fall into the trap of being too literal.  Some occupations require specific degrees, but most are rather flexible.

No clue on how many, I mean obviously that would be impossible to count. I agree that I am sure many more are doing social entrepreneurship without a degree than with one so I do see your point. At the same time I feel like doing the double concentration can't really hurt, especially since that's probably one of the best rates I am going to get for formal education on the subject. If for some reason anything changes that would cause it to be cheaper to just skip the MBA in Healthcare Management and opt for the MBA in Social Entrepreneurship by itself I would still consider doing that, but at this point I just want to do the healthcare management so I don't have to pay for the capstone and then get the 2nd concentration with the alumni discount. I am always playing it by ear though, have to roll with the punches... so this could change in the future. Or, maybe some business ideas I have will work out and I'll have enough experience on my own to not really need the second concentration by the time I get to that point.

By the way, I did talk to my Academic Coach who said the shortest time they have seen someone complete this degree in is 4 months, and that was working on it about 50hrs per week.

Also, just in comparison, I suspect this program is a lot more rigorous than WGU. Based on a small sample survey WGU MBA students are spending on average 280 - 420 hours of work on the MBA program and writing 15-20 papers with a lot of proctored quizzes. In comparison, the MBA Healthcare Management at Walden requires 40 papers and 3-4 quizzes (non-proctored), so if it took a student 4 months to get through at 50hrs per week that is about 800 hours. However, that might still be worth it to some of us with the free term, and the advisor didn't really say how good of a student the person was so I am not sure if it's even really fair to compare.

On a less serious note, every time one of the staff or videos says "SME" (subject matter expert) I can't help but think of Mr. Smee from Peter Pan!
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(12-05-2018, 04:09 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: Also, just in comparison, I suspect this program is a lot more rigorous than WGU. Based on a small sample survey WGU MBA students are spending on average 280 - 420 hours of work on the MBA program and writing 15-20 papers with a lot of proctored quizzes. In comparison, the MBA Healthcare Management at Walden requires 40 papers and 3-4 quizzes (non-proctored), so if it took a student 4 months to get through at 50hrs per week that is about 800 hours. However, that might still be worth it to some of us with the free term, and the advisor didn't really say how good of a student the person was so I am not sure if it's even really fair to compare.

Do you know how many pages the papers are?

I think the 280 - 420 is only people with a lot of prior knowledge. They're more likely to enroll at WGU to get the quick degree.

(12-05-2018, 05:19 PM)Ideas Wrote: Do you know how many pages the papers are?

I think the 280 - 420 is only people with a lot of prior knowledge. They're more likely to enroll at WGU to get the quick degree.

The enrollment person told me 6-10 pages each, but the academic advisor who actually went through the program told me it was generally about 8-16 pages I believe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,099 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,348 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
  Any Online Free Master Degree? JesterRigid 15 5,426 09-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany nyvrem 32 11,447 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,447 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,430 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM