Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fort Hayes - Masters in Liberal Arts - Global Management
(05-10-2018, 03:57 PM)Nodaclu Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 03:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think WGU's MS in Management is a little more business-y than APU, and certainly cheaper.  But if you don't want a competency-based program, APU seems like a good alternative.  I like their rolling starts, 8-week courses, the format just seems good to me.

I've looked into ENMU's MBA program, and the whole semester thing is what keeps putting me off (it's a $9000 MBA).  I just cannot keep interest in a class for a full semester.  Way too painful.  Week 12, and I'm OUT!

I've found Study.com's model (bite sized chunks of info, test on the material, move on) to be ideal for my ADD-addled style of learning. While I realize that most programs aren't set up exactly like this, I'd like to find one that uses something of a similar model.

I think that might make competency-based learning a bit more appealing to me. I'm thinking there will be opportunities for me to move quickly through areas where I have a solid knowledge base, which will motivate me to keep going, as opposed to having to slog through a 15 week semester, regardless of how easy or difficult the material is for me.

I'm not certain this is how competency-based works, in terms of being like Study.com.  Not at all.  I think you're comparing apples to oranges on that.

But I do get the part about not wanting to slog through a course you already know a lot about over 16 weeks.  On the other hand, if you already knew the material, it probably wouldn't be much of a slog, because it would be easy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-10-2018, 04:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not certain this is how competency-based works, in terms of being like Study.com.  Not at all.  I think you're comparing apples to oranges on that.

But I do get the part about not wanting to slog through a course you already know a lot about over 16 weeks.  On the other hand, if you already knew the material, it probably wouldn't be much of a slog, because it would be easy.

Yep, probably a pipe dream on that one...  Big Grin

I do know that NAU's competency-based model allowed you to learn things in bite sized chunks, and then those "chunks" were applied to different "classes" as you went along. I love that model, since it bounces around like a squirrel jacked up on Red Bull - kind of like my brain! LOL

I just know that I get bored frighteningly easy, and well, it's spring here in Northern CA.  Cool (Lots of outdoor temptations!)

I want to make sure that whichever program I choose, it keeps me engaged.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 2 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • Muldoon, Yenisei
Thank you both for the suggestions about LSU and APU! I will add those to my list.

I'm also considering a local B&M MBA or HRM (either online or nights/weekend), in the hopes that name recognition will outweigh any concerns about the online BSBA. However those programs all seem to start at around $33k, even the state school, so it's probably not too feasible.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Muldoon's post:
  • Nodaclu
(05-10-2018, 11:24 PM)Muldoon Wrote: Thank you both for the suggestions about LSU and APU! I will add those to my list.

I'm also considering a local B&M MBA or HRM (either online or nights/weekend), in the hopes that name recognition will outweigh any concerns about the online BSBA. However those programs all seem to start at around $33k, even the state school, so it's probably not too feasible.

Name recognition is less important than you think.  There are about 2,500 4-yrcolleges/universities in the US, no one will have heard of most of them.  Sure, the Ivies, the local state and private schools nearby, but after that, unless they have a state in their name (Univ of North Carolina, Mississippi State, etc.), no one will ever have heard of them.  I can't even list all the state schools in CA!

If you want to give it a try, list 20 schools you have heard of that AREN'T one of the ones I mentioned here...

The only reason to pay more for a local school is networking.  But I certainly wouldn't pay a LOT more, or go into debt for it, there are other ways to network.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Nodaclu
National University has an online MA in human reesources management. Looks like 12 classes and no required accounting or finance (just suggested). Most classes are 4 weeks, but I believe things like the capstone/thesis type courses are longer. Not particularly cheap at $1900 a course, but not crazy either. Maybe if you can transfer in 3 courses, it might work
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparklette's post:
  • Nodaclu
(05-10-2018, 11:24 PM)Muldoon Wrote: Thank you both for the suggestions about LSU and APU! I will add those to my list.

Get an employer to pay for most of it Smile Personally I like the idea of a grad cert, if that gets someone a job that covers the Masters degree cost.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Nodaclu
(05-04-2018, 02:25 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Hi all,

Curious about your thoughts regarding this program.

For someone like me - with a career in HR (stuck at the "Mid-Career Professional" level, trying to move into Management), a nearly completed BA in Psychology, and as someone who looks at Finance and Accounting coursework as if it's written in another language, would this be a viable "compromise" option?

Or would it be viewed, in the absence of an MBA, as essentially worthless for improving my career in HR?

https://www.fhsu.edu/mls/conc/Global-Man...index.html

Thanks!

Just an FYI ..... Fort Hays also offers a Human Resource Management Masters in Professional Studies degree : https://www.fhsu.edu/academic/gradschl/M...ment/index
[-] The following 1 user Likes miah's post:
  • Nodaclu
(06-06-2018, 12:17 AM)miah Wrote: Just an FYI ..... Fort Hays also offers a Human Resource Management Masters in Professional Studies degree : https://www.fhsu.edu/academic/gradschl/M...ment/index

Bookmarked!!  Big Grin

Thank you for pointing that out. Don't know how I missed it.
120/120 units complete

(06-06-2018, 12:20 AM)Nodaclu Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 12:17 AM)miah Wrote: Just an FYI ..... Fort Hays also offers a Human Resource Management Masters in Professional Studies degree : https://www.fhsu.edu/academic/gradschl/M...ment/index

Bookmarked!!  Big Grin

Thank you for pointing that out. Don't know how I missed it.

No problem. I am currently studying in their online graduate Master degree program (Higher Education Student Affairs) and if their other programs are anything like this one, I would highly recommend them! They are very affordable for their grad programs. Virtual students pay the instate tuition rates which are like $281/cr which to me was affordable to pay as I go. I had not gone for a grad degree before because it was out of my price range when I happened upon FHSU. So far I really enjoy their courses and am learning a lot and I find it more engaging than the traditional B&M F2F classes!
[-] The following 2 users Like miah's post:
  • Ideas, Nodaclu
(06-06-2018, 12:32 AM)miah Wrote: No problem. I am currently studying in their online graduate Master degree program (Higher Education Student Affairs) and if their other programs are anything like this one, I would highly recommend them! They are very affordable for their grad programs. Virtual students pay the instate tuition rates which are like $281/cr which to me was affordable to pay as I go. I had not gone for a grad degree before because it was out of my price range when I happened upon FHSU. So far I really enjoy their courses and am learning a lot and I find it more engaging than the traditional B&M F2F classes!

That's fantastic feedback...thank you!

One of the things that appealed to me about FHSU was the reasonable tuition costs. I really like the layout of that MPS-HR degree as well. It's very pertinent to the type of work I'm currently doing in my career.

Would you mind if I reached out to you at some point in the not-too-distant-future as I get closer to finishing my undergrad degree and making a decision?
120/120 units complete

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 694 11 hours ago
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 446 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 648 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 364 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,117 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 580 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,814 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,781 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7