Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
GRE Subject Tests
I wrote to Excelsior in 2011 regarding using GRE, their response below.
Hello Tony,
Unfortunately, we are no longer accepting GRE examinations as college credit.
If you have additional questions please feel free to respond back to this e-mail.
Sincerely,
Toni-Ann Funk
Admissions Counselor
With the last comment there from a year ago, I think only COSC from the Big 3 will allow GRE credits.
I would assume other colleges/universities may as well, just that the transfer limit may be lesser.
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
bjcheung77 Wrote:...I would assume other colleges/universities may as well, just that the transfer limit may be lesser.

Terrible assumption. Please read the previous posts in this thread before adding to it please. Don't mislead people.
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
I would also be very interested in this since I'm going to be taking the GRE soon.
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed June 7th
UAF BA Foreign Languages ongoing 
TESU BA Anthropology ongoing
UAF MS Emergency Management (Most Likely will start 2019/2020)

I have been here enjoying learning and validating my studies for many years. This forum has a tremendous amount of information and support. My family travels internationally and we write about what we see at https://ExploreTraveler.com and I also post some of my papers online here.
According to this document, scoring above the 40th percentile will award you 24 credits at COSC: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...m-list.pdf

Correction: it depends on the subject: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics, get 24 credits. Literature in English, and Psychology only get 18 credits. Unfortunately, it doesn't list the specific classes that they are transferred in as nor the breakdown between lower and upper level credit, so it's impossible to determine from this document regarding how much overlap would be included with other testing and credit sources.
John L. Watson
Currently Attending: WGU: BS-NOS (2 classes remaining)
Future Plans: TESU: BSBM, WGU: MS-CSIA, WGU: MBA, researching Doctorate choices
Credit Sources-SH: CLEP/DSST-21, DLI Farsi-22, FTCC-17, ICCP-21, JST-Army-56, Methodist U-36, Penn Foster-33, StraighterLine-10, Study.com-42, WGU-69
Certifications:  A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW SDA, I-Net+, ITIL, LPIC-1, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
My LinkedIn Profile
(12-16-2018, 08:27 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: According to this document, scoring above the 40th percentile will award you 24 credits at COSC: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...m-list.pdf

Correction: it depends on the subject: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics, get 24 credits. Literature in English, and Psychology only get 18 credits. Unfortunately, it doesn't list the specific classes that they are transferred in as nor the breakdown between lower and upper level credit, so it's impossible to determine from this document regarding how much overlap would be included with other testing and credit sources.

THAT is the list I'd like to see. I don't think it exists in this forum, and if it's not here, it's not public.
Jennifer
10-year member

I had a chat with charter oak on what courses are cover by taking the gre.

Alram
12:28 pm
Is there here a list of specific courses that the GRE exams cover? For instance the biology gre covers BIO 2xxx X 5 and 4xxx X 3 to cover the 24 credits.

Bob
I can't tell you exactly how the GRE in Biology applies, it leaves you needing 6 more upper level credits including at least one lab.

Alram
Right. The list would make it easier to plan out your courses. Biology was just an example.

Bob
We don't assign those credits to specific course, but rather use it with other BIO courses you may have.

Alram
It stop you for duplicating courses if there were a a list
Bob
You would work out the details with an academic advisor once enrolled.
END

So there may be a list that is available after your enrolled
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
Prior Learning Assessment
(12-24-2018, 12:59 PM)alram Wrote: I had a chat with charter oak on what courses are cover by taking the gre.

Alram
Is there here a list of specific courses that the GRE exams cover? For instance the biology gre covers BIO 2xxx X 5 and 4xxx X 3 to cover the 24 credits.

Bob
I can't tell you exactly how the GRE in Biology applies, it leaves you needing 6 more upper level credits including at least one lab.

Alram
Right. The list would make it easier to plan out your courses. Biology was just an example.

Bob
We don't assign those credits to specific course, but rather use it with other BIO courses you may have.

Alram
Bob
END

Sigh.... yeah. I don't think there is a list. So, I guess we'll have to wait for Vetvso to share his transcript. Smile
Jennifer
10-year member

(12-24-2018, 08:53 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 12:59 PM)alram Wrote: I had a chat with charter oak on what courses are cover by taking the gre.

Alram

Bob

Alram

Bob

Alram
Bob
END

Sigh.... yeah.  I don't think there is a list.  So, I guess we'll have to wait for Vetvso to share his transcript.  Smile

I will consider taking the GRE in February and transfer into Charter Oak if I pass. I'm not required to have the GRE but I want to take it anyway. I'm thinking a prep course would be really good to have.
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed June 7th
UAF BA Foreign Languages ongoing 
TESU BA Anthropology ongoing
UAF MS Emergency Management (Most Likely will start 2019/2020)

I have been here enjoying learning and validating my studies for many years. This forum has a tremendous amount of information and support. My family travels internationally and we write about what we see at https://ExploreTraveler.com and I also post some of my papers online here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of CLEP equivalency tests for COSC? David.Hamad 6 313 05-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  tesu upper level dsst tests Sb2013 2 214 03-18-2019, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Sb2013
  GRE Subject Test - Pitfalls of COSC Transcript sanantone 2 239 02-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  IT and Privacy Pro Tests Ashenwelt 13 348 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Last Post: jsd
  ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU pws 16 744 12-25-2018, 02:54 PM
  WGU's "core subject areas" & certs for BS-Data Analytics rvm 21 773 12-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Last Post: rvm
  Are downgraded courses opportunities for new subject area credits? eriehiker 1 324 04-25-2018, 03:34 PM
  Use of instantcert study guides for other tests? (SL, Saylor etc.) TESUAbroad 3 570 09-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  Need guidance, combo traditional and tests possible? Catalytic 14 1,049 09-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Catalytic
  TECEP / TESC tests + courses while living in China....? John Yingling 20 1,350 02-04-2016, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Bearduke