Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting started with BALS (Template Q&A)
(01-17-2019, 09:20 AM)Supermind Wrote: Usually, we transfer ACE credits after gathering a certain number of credits. This is bcos it costs $ 20 to make the first transfer, and $ 15 for successive transfers. But in this case, you could consider transferring as soon as you complete other TEEX courses. If you only plan to take one course, you should transfer it. TEEX courses expire end of this month, and you want your credits sent in before that.

TEEX courses expire at the end of this month?  Is this dictated by ACE or someone else?  Is this a regular occurrence?  I had no idea!
It's dictated by ACE. Whenever they review a course, and approve it, that approval has an expiration date. It's up to the course provider to get the course renewed before the deadline. Typically, we'll hit these deadlines, then see them extended as the course provider starts to try and get the renewal, but not always.

Actually, you should be fine so long as you complete the courses by the expiration deadline, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to get them onto your ACE transcript immediately. You can send them to TESU when you're ready, that timing won't be affected by the courses expiring.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • CiggyTardust
(01-17-2019, 09:26 AM)davewill Wrote: Actually, you should be fine so long as you complete the courses by the expiration deadline, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to get them onto your ACE transcript immediately. You can send them to TESU when you're ready, that timing won't be affected by the courses expiring.

How can I stay apprised of these expiration deadlines?  Is there a list somewhere?  I will be sure to get the courses added to my ACE transcript as I complete them.
(01-17-2019, 09:27 AM)CiggyTardust Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 09:26 AM)davewill Wrote: Actually, you should be fine so long as you complete the courses by the expiration deadline, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to get them onto your ACE transcript immediately. You can send them to TESU when you're ready, that timing won't be affected by the courses expiring.

How can I stay apprised of these expiration deadlines?  Is there a list somewhere?  I will be sure to get the courses added to my ACE transcript as I complete them.

If you search a course in the ACE database (like you're going to add it to your transcript), it lists the dates for which the course is approved. Also, when a common one is coming up on its deadline you'll usually hear about it on the forum.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Ciggy, you should do the following FREE courses in this order because of the following.
1) The free Ethics course from the Institutes - 2 UL credits, it's the easiest of them all and ACE expires end of this month
2) The remainder of your TEEX courses - 6 LL credits total, they're the longest of them all and ACE also expires at end of the month
3) The 2 free Sophia courses expire later in the year so you don't have to rush on these - 2 LL credits total.

Note 1: Ethics is 2 credits, you'll need one of the Sophia course to make up 1 credit from the General Education/Free Electives
Note 2: For the BALS, I would place all of these courses into the elective free credits requirements

Since you're starting off, you should start off with the CLEP/MS option unless you're far from a test site or if there is none in your area. I would only recommend the "easier ones" and that doesn't duplicate Onlinedegree.com's offerings. Otherwise, you can start off with the Onlinedegree.com courses and take all of them, as it's 44 credits right there for Gen Ed/Free Electives. Each course at OD.com is only $9 for the exam, the final exam is only worth 40% of the grade, and an added benefit is that you get to do these from the comfort of home!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • CiggyTardust
(01-17-2019, 12:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ciggy, you should do the following FREE courses in this order because of the following.
1) The free Ethics course from the Institutes - 2 UL credits, it's the easiest of them all and ACE expires end of this month
2) The remainder of your TEEX courses - 6 LL credits total, they're the longest of them all and ACE also expires at end of the month
3) The 2 free Sophia courses expire later in the year so you don't have to rush on these - 2 LL credits total.

Note 1: Ethics is 2 credits, you'll need one of the Sophia course to make up 1 credit from the General Education/Free Electives
Note 2: For the BALS, I would place all of these courses into the elective free credits requirements

Since you're starting off, you should start off with the CLEP/MS option unless you're far from a test site or if there is none in your area. I would only recommend the "easier ones" and that doesn't duplicate Onlinedegree.com's offerings. Otherwise, you can start off with the Onlinedegree.com courses and take all of them, as it's 44 credits right there for Gen Ed/Free Electives. Each course at OD.com is only $9 for the exam, the final exam is only worth 40% of the grade, and an added benefit is that you get to do these from the comfort of home!

This is all very solid advice. The TEEX courses are a real chore and although I completed all of them, some find them too unpalatable to complete so don't feel bad if you give up on them.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • CiggyTardust
(01-17-2019, 04:47 PM)MNomadic Wrote: This is all very solid advice. The TEEX courses are a real chore and although I completed all of them, some find them too unpalatable to complete so don't feel bad if you give up on them.

Thanks for saying this!  I got through the first one just fine but the second (which goes over wire fraud legislation and other stuff) has been tough.  I thought it was just me  Big Grin
(01-23-2019, 02:47 PM)CiggyTardust Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 04:47 PM)MNomadic Wrote: This is all very solid advice. The TEEX courses are a real chore and although I completed all of them, some find them too unpalatable to complete so don't feel bad if you give up on them.

Thanks for saying this!  I got through the first one just fine but the second (which goes over wire fraud legislation and other stuff) has been tough.  I thought it was just me  Big Grin

Yup. If I remember correctly, the 3rd one gets worse yet.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(01-23-2019, 02:47 PM)CiggyTardust Wrote:

I work in the field and these were dry AF.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • CiggyTardust
(01-13-2019, 08:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's one for you.

Hi @dfrecore and everyone else  Smile

I've been away for a few weeks because life got hectic but the good news is I'm enrolled at TESU and they sent me back my Academic Evaluation.  When I look it over, it looks a bit different from the plan you laid out for me @dfrecore (see this link for the evaluation).  I'm wondering about the courses you listed under Free Electives in my plan that are now under B: Liberal Stud in the Academic Evaluation--is the evaluation considered the final word or can I structure it as you did in the plan from above?  Now with the discrepancy I'm a bit confused on my path forward so any insights you can offer would be much appreciated.  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,710 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 778 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Does anyone regret their BALS? Nadiv10 3 678 09-21-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  BALS degree at TSU LokiBear 2 842 02-19-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Big Grin Desperately Need Help To Get Started Risingstar 12 2,234 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Risingstar
  BALS Criminal Justice concentration questions. Acaidian 6 1,502 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  BALS/BSLS Plan Help for a Newbie? HMohamed12 9 1,918 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Tlm
  Bals how long to finish? SweetsugarNL 25 3,652 08-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  Applying for an AA and BALS Tlm 3 1,015 06-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  in 2017 I gave up on this before I even started. Now I'm serious, but I need help. David.Hamad 21 3,274 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle