Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pharmacy Technician Testing
I know that this isn't the goal of most people on this site, but for anyone that's interested, I thought I'd share...

I paid 800+ dollars a while back to take an online pharmacy tech course. I'm in medical software sales and I just wanted something to help me "speak the language" a little better and didn't want to attend a B&M school, especially for something I never really planned on using.

Anyhow, I don't want to disparage the school, so I won't mention the name, but the course consisted of sending me a book and a workbook and having to complete online tests. WOW... 800 bucks for that!!!! I felt soooo ripped off.

Each state is different, but after I went through the course, I found out that in Colorado, you don't have to take a pharmacy tech course to sit for the exam. You just show up, sit for the exam, and pass or fail. You have some continuing ed if you want to maintain your certification for longer than two years, but it's all easy stuff. To find out more for your own state, go to PTCB.org or just google your state + PTCB

Anyhow... since we're all testing out of subjects here, I thought I'd mention it. I really wouldn't recommend it as a long term career as there isn't a lot of room for growth. However if you're interested in pharmacy, or a student that wants to get an in-demand job while you're studying, it's a pretty good option.

My DS wants to be a pharmacist. His plan is to get his AA through TESC or EC, study for the pharmacy tech course, and then enter a B&M school. His pharmacy tech certification will enable him to gain valuable experience in the pharmacy and also have a part time job that pays 12-16 bucks an hour.

If anyone's intersted, I can list the books i've used. They're all on Amazon and I could have saved a pretty penny had I just bought the book and taken the test.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Sure - please list those books. You never know when someone needs to get a job in a reasonable amount of time.
burbuja0512 Wrote:I know that this isn't the goal of most people on this site, but for anyone that's interested, I thought I'd share...

I paid 800+ dollars a while back to take an online pharmacy tech course. I'm in medical software sales and I just wanted something to help me "speak the language" a little better and didn't want to attend a B&M school, especially for something I never really planned on using.

Anyhow, I don't want to disparage the school, so I won't mention the name, but the course consisted of sending me a book and a workbook and having to complete online tests. WOW... 800 bucks for that!!!! I felt soooo ripped off.

Each state is different, but after I went through the course, I found out that in Colorado, you don't have to take a pharmacy tech course to sit for the exam. You just show up, sit for the exam, and pass or fail. You have some continuing ed if you want to maintain your certification for longer than two years, but it's all easy stuff. To find out more for your own state, go to PTCB.org or just google your state + PTCB

Anyhow... since we're all testing out of subjects here, I thought I'd mention it. I really wouldn't recommend it as a long term career as there isn't a lot of room for growth. However if you're interested in pharmacy, or a student that wants to get an in-demand job while you're studying, it's a pretty good option.

My DS wants to be a pharmacist. His plan is to get his AA through TESC or EC, study for the pharmacy tech course, and then enter a B&M school. His pharmacy tech certification will enable him to gain valuable experience in the pharmacy and also have a part time job that pays 12-16 bucks an hour.

If anyone's intersted, I can list the books i've used. They're all on Amazon and I could have saved a pretty penny had I just bought the book and taken the test.

This is EXCELLENT information! Thanks for sharing! I wish your DS loads of luck too Smile
Mosby's Pharmacy Technician, Principles and Practices. You'll need to buy the text and the accompanying working book.

The Mosby's one isn't the one that my school sent me, it's one I found after the fact that looked a lot better... though it is a bit more complex than the one my school gave me.

The one from my school is The Pharmacy Technician by Mary F. Powers & Janet Wakelin. On this one the accompanying workbook is called Pharmacy Calculations by the same authors.

Don't be afraid of the pharmacy tech math. It's pretty basic stuff and involves simple metric conversions.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I know someone who's wife took the exam without a class. He mentioned that there was some change in the requirements that went into effect Jan 1 but i don't know what it was. The math was challenging for her but he said it was simple conversions and once she got the hang of it she was fine.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:I know someone who's wife took the exam without a class. He mentioned that there was some change in the requirements that went into effect Jan 1 but i don't know what it was. The math was challenging for her but he said it was simple conversions and once she got the hang of it she was fine.
A lot of people are able to sit for the exam without a class, usually those who have been working in the pharmacy. In many states, a certification isn't required to work as a pharm tech, though it's hard to get a job without one.

I know someone who became a pharm tech because she was working at Albertson's in college. The pharmacy was short technicians and for whatever reason wasn't having luck finding one. They asked her to move to the pharmacy and paid her a couple bucks less an hour than the other techs. Once she knew enough to pass the test, she sat for it and then got a pay raise.

Regarding a change in requirement, this varies by state. As far as I know, there are no national standards. Some states allow you to be 16 and with no certification to work in the pharmacy and others require 18+ with certification. It's pretty much across the board that they don't let you in with any sort of drug convictions on your records.

I volunteered in a hospital pharmacy for almost a year after I took my certification. Once a week on Friday evenings... just to have some "clinical" experience on my resume. I can tell you that the tech jobs are all over the place, from mindless re-stocking to the IV tech in a sterile room that needs to exercise the utmost care with IV bag preparation.

I still really would not recommend it as a permanent career choice. It worked perfectly for me though - easy way to make my resume 100% better than my peers. You would be surprised how many medical software sales people have no medical background. I'll see 100 resumes and maybe one (usually none) where the applicant has ever been inside a hospital. So, if you're in business and want to make a switch to a medical company, it's a great way to do it. There are TONS of non-hospital healthcare jobs out there, and it doesn't take a highly skilled medical background to do it.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just testing my new signature... zapproximator 28 4,681 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bmoyer83
  CompTIA (A+, Net+, Sec+ etc) to start offering online testing (via ProctorU) jsd 1 2,451 03-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  Mom Hospitalized - Had to Suspend Plans Testing For Now... SuZQ2 3 902 11-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  14yr old testing college courses? BELLA 9 1,636 07-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  How did you learn about testing out of your degree? Empyrean24 36 5,634 03-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Your favorte quick/easy dinners for busy testing times? OpenRoot 9 1,448 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Freaking out! My testing center didn't send my professor my final! Kaz 2 1,109 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kaz
  Your Pearson Testing Center Katterina 17 3,901 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  Straighterline testing trouble Tasman 10 1,601 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Tasman
  A special tribute to my testing center swimnsun2 3 804 01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Last Post: swimnsun2