Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finishing Associates before Bachelors
I am one class away from the finish the associates in computer science from tesu. I will take that class this month. If I finish the associates before the bachelor do I have to pay 2 graduation fees? Also, I am working on taking about 18 credits over the year to finish out my bachelor degree to avoid the residency waiver fee but that won't be till my bachelor is finished in June so would I have to pay the residency waiver fee or would the tesu wait to see if I finish my bachelor's degree? All help would be appreciated.
If you goal is to get a bachelor's in computer science then having an associate degree is redundant.

You can always fall back on an associate's degree if you fail to get a bachelor's.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(07-02-2020, 11:55 AM)maxxor6868 Wrote: I am one class away from the finish the associates in computer science from tesu. I will take that class this month. If I finish the associates before the bachelor do I have to pay 2 graduation fees? Also, I am working on taking about 18 credits over the year to finish out my bachelor degree to avoid the residency waiver fee but that won't be till my bachelor is finished in June so would I have to pay the residency waiver fee or would the tesu wait to see if I finish my bachelor's degree? All help would be appreciated.
You would have to pay the wavier fee for the associates if you got it now because you don't have 16 credits done at TESU yet. One you have 16 credits done or in progress then you don't have to pay the waiver fee. So this associates would cost you 3 grand. Not worth it.

You xan get it along side your bachelors although redundant it would be free.
Is the associates degree important to YOU? Do YOU want that piece of paper saying you accomplished that specific degree? If yes, then pay for it. Yes, you will pay for 2 graduation fees because you'll graduate twice earning a different degree each time.

Something to keep in mind. No one knows what's going to happen in the future. What if something happens and you need to pause your bachelor's degree program? Would you be upset that you didn't get that associates degree?

Personally, I would pay for the degree. At least, I would have something to show for my hard work and I earned the darn thing! I have 2 associate degrees I earned years ago. I do have them on my resume. They are hanging in my office at home as well. Why? I'm proud of the fact that I completed them. I know how much work went into them. I was also the first person in my family to attend college. I was also the first one to graduate from college. I'll be the second to complete a bachelor's degree and it's 20 years later! Next year I begin my master's degree. No one in my family has one of those.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • bluebooger
(07-02-2020, 12:37 PM)natshar Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 11:55 AM)maxxor6868 Wrote: I am one class away from the finish the associates in computer science from tesu. I will take that class this month. If I finish the associates before the bachelor do I have to pay 2 graduation fees? Also, I am working on taking about 18 credits over the year to finish out my bachelor degree to avoid the residency waiver fee but that won't be till my bachelor is finished in June so would I have to pay the residency waiver fee or would the tesu wait to see if I finish my bachelor's degree? All help would be appreciated.
You would have to pay the wavier fee for the associates if you got it now because you don't have 16 credits done at TESU yet. One you have 16 credits done or in progress then you don't have to pay the waiver fee. So this associates would cost you 3 grand. Not worth it.

You xan get it along side your bachelors although redundant it would be free.

gotcha well thanks that is what I figure. Kinda annoying as most college you would just earn the associates degree for free so it would be nice to have until I earn the bachelors degree but if I earn it at the same time as the bachelors degree to avoid the fee it is redundant but I guess it will still be nice to have for display purposes than.

(07-02-2020, 12:25 PM)LevelUP Wrote: If you goal is to get a bachelor's in computer science then having an associate degree is redundant.

You can always fall back on an associate's degree if you fail to get a bachelor's.

Yeah, that is what I will do if for whatever reasons I failed to get my bachelors I will just earn the associates but until then I guess I will just wait.

(07-02-2020, 12:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Is the associates degree important to YOU? Do YOU want that piece of paper saying you accomplished that specific degree? If yes, then pay for it. Yes, you will pay for 2 graduation fees because you'll graduate twice earning a different degree each time.

Something to keep in mind. No one knows what's going to happen in the future. What if something happens and you need to pause your bachelor's degree program? Would you be upset that you didn't get that associates degree?

Personally, I would pay for the degree. At least, I would have something to show for my hard work and I earned the darn thing! I have 2 associate degrees I earned years ago. I do have them on my resume. They are hanging in my office at home as well. Why? I'm proud of the fact that I completed them. I know how much work went into them. I was also the first person in my family to attend college. I was also the first one to graduate from college. I'll be the second to complete a bachelor's degree and it's 20 years later! Next year I begin my master's degree. No one in my family has one of those.
I like the outlook on that!
(07-02-2020, 12:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Is the associates degree important to YOU? Do YOU want that piece of paper saying you accomplished that specific degree? If yes, then pay for it. Yes, you will pay for 2 graduation fees because you'll graduate twice earning a different degree each time.

The issue is it isn't just the graduation fee. There is 3k residency fee that needs to be paid for the associates. But not for the bachelors because he would have 16 credits at tesu but that time. 

I do agree though. I got my associates and waited four years until I got my bachelors. So definitely a good idea for some. I have multiple friends who dropped out of college with so many credits. And im just like you could have an associates degree. But they don't listen.  many people have the credits and requirements done they just drop out of CC and don't fill out the application to graduate or realize it is done. Crazy

I just don't if it is worth it 3500 when the bachelors is 90% done and in the same subject as the associates. If I was in that situation I wouldn't to do it.

Hearing storues like yours are amazing! Good job on all you've accomplished and keep it up in your masters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding on associates? optimisticCoder3 6 391 02-23-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Second Bachelors TESU Construction Management addision 3 515 03-18-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: addision
  Overview of my 2nd Bachelors in CS spohara 6 795 03-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: spohara
  Easy Second Bachelors Possible at TESU??? joshua27 18 1,608 02-22-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What is the LEAST that I have to pay TESU for a second bachelors in CS? mcjon77 10 1,091 02-01-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  2nd bachelors tesu Pats20 32 2,779 01-25-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Clarification on “free” add-on Associates degree Mccderm 12 1,197 12-27-2022, 09:16 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Does anyone have a spreadsheet for the TESU BACS + Math associates add on? CanICode 9 1,029 12-22-2022, 07:06 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Finishing Core Requirement at TESU CreditMeTimbers 6 952 09-24-2022, 04:38 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Question ra credit and 2 bachelors Pats20 2 560 04-06-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP