Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overview of my 2nd Bachelors in CS
I just finished my capstone and wanted to share an overview of what my plan was, how much it cost, and what I think about the outcomes overall

Courses:

Core:

Programming: SDC
Data Structures: SDC
Calculus: Prior BS
Discrete Math: SDC
Operating Systems: SDC
Computer Architecture: SDC

AOS Electives

Upper:
Systems Analysis & Design: SDC
Software Engineering: Saylor
Management Information Systems: SDC
Database Management: SDC

Lower:
Python Programming: Coursera (Data Science Professional)
SQL: Coursera (Data Science Professional)

Additional AOS:
Astronomy: TESU (Prior AAS)
Geology: Prior BS

Capstone: TESU

In total, I took 8 courses through SDC at $70 each (30% off discount for 3 months, plus two addt'l exams purchased) totaling $560. $80 total spent at Coursera(though I probably could have spent less, especially if the goal was just the 2 courses).  $1605 for tuition at TESU for one course out of state +$298 graduation fee  That's a grand total of just over $2548 and it took about 9 months.  First 2 months were all the Coursera Data science and I didn't even realize I was starting this journey.  Then I found this forum and shortly after started at SDC.  I did waste a good chunk of time figuring out that the SAS on Coursera didn't help me for this (oh well, lots of data jobs are asking for it).  Wrapped up all of the SDC and the Saylor exam within 3 months, then spent the last 3 months doing nothing but the capstone.  FWIW, I was busiest when I was doing just the capstone.  I did this with a fulltime (plus I give them free overtime all the time) schedule and a now 1 year old, so I'd say the pace is very achievable.

As far as my skills walking out: Trying to think objectively about where I was when I started vs now, I'd say I picked up some skill and ideas for data science in python from the coursera course, but I did the bare minimum on the traditional CS side, and that is what I got out of it.  I have a more solid CS base, but I would not feel confident even applying for a junior dev job.  I'd want to take a bootcamp or maybe the IBM full stack coursera to understand front end development, containerization, data access methods, etc IF I intended to go that route.  All that is to say if you want to be job ready day one and feel confident, put in more work than what the degree requirements outline and the path I took.  If it is your first bachelors, I'd definitely recommend filling out at least a few hours of electives to become more well rounded.  That or if you plan on a bootcamp or internship you'll be in good shape.  My prior background is a very solid skillset on data, statistics, and professional experience on the "business" side of software and data project development, and this definitely rounded out that last part.  Especially the capstone, where I dove more deeply into software project management.

As far as this forum: This must be the premier source for degree hacking in existence.  For anyone who can't afford tens of thousands of dollars (or just has a better use for that money than lighting it on fire) or needs to accelerate their path toward a degree, the amount of knowledge contained here is tremendous.  I wouldn't have even started down this path if I didn't stumble onto it.  Thanks for everyone's contributions, and I hope I've given back a few nuggets of what I've learned along the way as well.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 8 users Like spohara's post:
  • akr680, AllThose299s, davewill, frankc, jch, LevelUP, origamishuttle, TwinMom
Pretty awesome. If you do want to go the dev route, I also recommend that you get in the habit of writing code all the time. Both create new programming projects you work on all on your own, and find interesting open source projects that you can download, build, and try to make modifications to. Every successful developer I've ever known has been a self-starter that does it for fun as well as for money.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle, spohara
(02-28-2023, 11:29 AM)davewill Wrote: Pretty awesome. If you do want to go the dev route, I also recommend that you get in the habit of writing code all the time. Both create new programming projects you work on all on your own, and find interesting open source projects that you can download, build, and try to make modifications to. Every successful developer I've ever known has been a self-starter that does it for fun as well as for money.

Solid advice.  I am too old to relaunch my career as a software developer, but I do plan on trying my hand at a few fun projects for small apps that would help me in my everyday life.  I think every successful person I've ever known in general has been a self starter.  It is hard to do some of my type of work 'for fun', but I am constantly reading, listening to podcasts and otherwise engaging to improve my knowledge.  It is a must.
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
I do agree that if you want to get a job as a software developer, it would be a good idea to take a BootCamp Coursera certification or through Udemy. 

You can get the Meta Front/Back End Developer through the American Dream Academy for free.

I also agree with Davewill's advice of getting into the habit of doing projects for fun. Start with simple projects you can do in a day and work up to more complex ones.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle, spohara
(02-28-2023, 08:46 AM)spohara Wrote: I just finished my capstone and wanted to share an overview of what my plan was, how much it cost, and what I think about the outcomes overall

Courses:

Core:

Programming: SDC
Data Structures: SDC
Calculus: Prior BS
Discrete Math: SDC
Operating Systems: SDC
Computer Architecture: SDC

AOS Electives

Upper:
Systems Analysis & Design: SDC
Software Engineering: Saylor
Management Information Systems: SDC
Database Management: SDC

Lower:
Python Programming: Coursera (Data Science Professional)
SQL: Coursera (Data Science Professional)

Additional AOS:
Astronomy: TESU (Prior AAS)
Geology: Prior BS

Capstone: TESU

In total, I took 8 courses through SDC at $70 each (30% off discount for 3 months, plus two addt'l exams purchased) totaling $560. $80 total spent at Coursera(though I probably could have spent less, especially if the goal was just the 2 courses).  $1605 for tuition at TESU for one course out of state +$298 graduation fee  That's a grand total of just over $2548 and it took about 9 months.  First 2 months were all the Coursera Data science and I didn't even realize I was starting this journey.  Then I found this forum and shortly after started at SDC.  I did waste a good chunk of time figuring out that the SAS on Coursera didn't help me for this (oh well, lots of data jobs are asking for it).  Wrapped up all of the SDC and the Saylor exam within 3 months, then spent the last 3 months doing nothing but the capstone.  FWIW, I was busiest when I was doing just the capstone.  I did this with a fulltime (plus I give them free overtime all the time) schedule and a now 1 year old, so I'd say the pace is very achievable.

As far as my skills walking out: Trying to think objectively about where I was when I started vs now, I'd say I picked up some skill and ideas for data science in python from the coursera course, but I did the bare minimum on the traditional CS side, and that is what I got out of it.  I have a more solid CS base, but I would not feel confident even applying for a junior dev job.  I'd want to take a bootcamp or maybe the IBM full stack coursera to understand front end development, containerization, data access methods, etc IF I intended to go that route.  All that is to say if you want to be job ready day one and feel confident, put in more work than what the degree requirements outline and the path I took.  If it is your first bachelors, I'd definitely recommend filling out at least a few hours of electives to become more well rounded.  That or if you plan on a bootcamp or internship you'll be in good shape.  My prior background is a very solid skillset on data, statistics, and professional experience on the "business" side of software and data project development, and this definitely rounded out that last part.  Especially the capstone, where I dove more deeply into software project management.

As far as this forum: This must be the premier source for degree hacking in existence.  For anyone who can't afford tens of thousands of dollars (or just has a better use for that money than lighting it on fire) or needs to accelerate their path toward a degree, the amount of knowledge contained here is tremendous.  I wouldn't have even started down this path if I didn't stumble onto it.  Thanks for everyone's contributions, and I hope I've given back a few nuggets of what I've learned along the way as well.
Congrats!
------------------

After 1st degree, how many new credits(minimum) should be required?
------------------

(03-01-2023, 08:04 PM)akr680 Wrote: After 1st degree, how many new credits(minimum) should be required?

I believe it is 24 new,  and it is 45 total.  I did 36 hours new(33 alt credits, 3 for capstone), 10 from previous degrees (46hrs total because my calc was a 4 credit class).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second Bachelors TESU Construction Management addision 3 538 03-18-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: addision
  Easy Second Bachelors Possible at TESU??? joshua27 18 1,646 02-22-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What is the LEAST that I have to pay TESU for a second bachelors in CS? mcjon77 10 1,144 02-01-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  2nd bachelors tesu Pats20 32 2,916 01-25-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Question ra credit and 2 bachelors Pats20 2 583 04-06-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Bachelors in General Management kalibby 4 1,220 06-10-2021, 10:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finishing Associates before Bachelors maxxor6868 5 885 07-02-2020, 01:16 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Excelsior vs TESU for Bachelors in Business mpk1940 13 2,988 05-24-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  TESU Second Bachelors decisive1 7 2,326 03-19-2020, 01:17 PM
  Two Bachelors at TESU Mitmike2019 22 3,538 02-19-2020, 11:22 PM