Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many courses can I expect to complete in a session?
(03-15-2021, 10:36 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 01:04 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(03-14-2021, 10:46 PM)ashkir Wrote: I did 13 in ONE term!

The 13 credits in one term, were any of them UL?

Also, can you advise a strategy to complete those many credits in one term?

He did a bunch of UL. His experience is not the norm UMPI will tell you. When I enrolled last August, I was told 10 courses was the most anyone had completed in 1 term at that time. ashkir has a lot of experience that went towards those classes. So a lot of the material was a review for him. His original plan was for 3-4 terms, but he'll be done in 2.  
ss20ts is right. I did all of the Upper Levels for the Leadership degree except for 3. This means I did 6 upper levels, 7 lower levels. (I transferred in an upper level from Sophia, Bus Law comes in as a 300 level). 

My experience is definitely not the norm. I am in the hospital a lot, chemo, on bedrest, and often don't have anything to do and I can barely sleep due to insomnia from my medicine. So I do school to try and accomplish something. In addition, as ss20ts said I have a ton of experience. I am one of the first people in the United States to get a full CLM DocuSign License, I hold training by Ritz Carlton in leadership, and I've worked with the federal government, courts, and fortune 500s in my career as a high-level consultant for the last six years. I'm only 31, and I started my first job at 25 (by pure luck and determination), I am very experienced in my field. 

A lot of the upper levels cover Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, Deadly Waste, Human Potential concepts, etc. These are a cake walk to me. I can do SWOTs, Red Tags, Lean Tags, SMARTs in my sleep. My CEO drills the "GEMBA" lifestyle into us. I've gone to a many seminars/lectures over the last 6 years about these topics. So when I see them I honestly skip them. 

Also a tip for multiple choice / personalized classes: Guess non-confident on all your answers for about 5 sets. This lets you get a lot of really amazing explanations of why you were wrong, and the questions rotate and it lets you see the entire quiz bank with all the explanations. The explanations paraphrase the lesson in a more easily relatable message. 

So I broke the record?
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • crotique, Leedeedee, Pikachu, Smilejoelle1
(03-17-2021, 01:41 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 10:36 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 01:04 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(03-14-2021, 10:46 PM)ashkir Wrote: I did 13 in ONE term!

The 13 credits in one term, were any of them UL?

Also, can you advise a strategy to complete those many credits in one term?

He did a bunch of UL. His experience is not the norm UMPI will tell you. When I enrolled last August, I was told 10 courses was the most anyone had completed in 1 term at that time. ashkir has a lot of experience that went towards those classes. So a lot of the material was a review for him. His original plan was for 3-4 terms, but he'll be done in 2.  
ss20ts is right. I did all of the Upper Levels for the Leadership degree except for 3. This means I did 6 upper levels, 7 lower levels. (I transferred in an upper level from Sophia, Bus Law comes in as a 300 level). 

My experience is definitely not the norm. I am in the hospital a lot, chemo, on bedrest, and often don't have anything to do and I can barely sleep due to insomnia from my medicine. So I do school to try and accomplish something. In addition, as ss20ts said I have a ton of experience. I am one of the first people in the United States to get a full CLM DocuSign License, I hold training by Ritz Carlton in leadership, and I've worked with the federal government, courts, and fortune 500s in my career as a high-level consultant for the last six years. I'm only 31, and I started my first job at 25 (by pure luck and determination), I am very experienced in my field. 

A lot of the upper levels cover Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, Deadly Waste, Human Potential concepts, etc. These are a cake walk to me. I can do SWOTs, Red Tags, Lean Tags, SMARTs in my sleep. My CEO drills the "GEMBA" lifestyle into us. I've gone to a many seminars/lectures over the last 6 years about these topics. So when I see them I honestly skip them. 

Also a tip for multiple choice / personalized classes: Guess non-confident on all your answers for about 5 sets. This lets you get a lot of really amazing explanations of why you were wrong, and the questions rotate and it lets you see the entire quiz bank with all the explanations. The explanations paraphrase the lesson in a more easily relatable message. 

So I broke the record?

That's dedication and hard work, congratulations!! I hope you will be able to be well and recover from your illness, wish you the best!!
(03-14-2021, 08:39 PM)foxotix Wrote: Hi! I'm starting UMPI tomorrow and am wondering what to expect when it comes to course length and difficulty. I'll be doing the BA in History and Political Science with the History concentration. For background, last month I graduated with my BSBA from WGU in Management. I was able to finish that program in about 4.5 months, completing 96 credits. I just wanted to ask if I could expect a similar rate of acceleration with UMPI. As it stands, I have 13 courses to complete in the program. I believe I am familiar with most of the class material (based on the course descriptions at least) and will be able to spend as much time on the program as I need to, as right now I'm a full time student. Would it be reasonable to plan to complete the degree in one session? Thanks!  Big Grin

Hi foxotix!

I'm working on admission to the BA in History at UMPI right now and am wondering the same about what to expect for course length/difficulty etc. and found your thread from about a year ago. 

How have you gotten on in the program? Were you able to complete multiple courses in the 8-week term? If so, approximately how many hours would you say you spent on study in a day? 

I am waiting for my transcript to get to UMPI to be evaluated but my best guess right now is I will only have to do the History and Political Science classes required for this major (because I already have a BSc). I am working on US History I (with Sophia) right now and hope to complete a few more classes with Sophia and Study.com which will leave me with 10 classes at UMPI. I am retired so I have as much time as I want to spend during each 8-week session, but with that said, I don't want to spend long hours every day studying so I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm in for with History classes to plan my terms and outside courses to give myself the best experience.

Thanks so much for any advice/experience you can share with me!
  • Degree in Progress: BA in Psychology and/or History (in planning)
  • Complete: University of New Brunswick (Canada)  |  BSc Marine Biology (Grad 1998)
(03-14-2021, 08:39 PM)foxotix Wrote: Hi! I'm starting UMPI tomorrow and am wondering what to expect when it comes to course length and difficulty. I'll be doing the BA in History and Political Science with the History concentration. For background, last month I graduated with my BSBA from WGU in Management. I was able to finish that program in about 4.5 months, completing 96 credits. I just wanted to ask if I could expect a similar rate of acceleration with UMPI. As it stands, I have 13 courses to complete in the program. I believe I am familiar with most of the class material (based on the course descriptions at least) and will be able to spend as much time on the program as I need to, as right now I'm a full time student. Would it be reasonable to plan to complete the degree in one session? Thanks!  Big Grin

I managed 10 classes by the one-month mark, though I don't think it is typical, and the pace was blistering. Eight were upper level, mainly business and accounting based. Thankfully that's all I had to do and I didn't end up using the second month of the session, I could have continued with more, but would have felt pretty burnt by the end of it. I don't consider myself to be anything special as a student, but I apply myself well to tasks and am pretty determined. Managed a 4.0 GPA. Judging from your post, you may be one of those who are able to go at a pretty good clip as well. I wish you all the best!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes lidel's post:
  • StudiousTraveller
Doing 5 courses per session is blazingly fast and more than twice the speed of a typical butt-in-seat brick-and-mortar student.

A GPA of 3.5 or better is exceptional and means you will graduate with honors. This is possible if you take the advice on the forum and turn in drafts before submitting the final.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • RachelB, StudiousTraveller
(04-03-2022, 06:38 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Doing 5 courses per session is blazingly fast and more than twice the speed of a typical butt-in-seat brick-and-mortar student.

A GPA of 3.5 or better is exceptional and means you will graduate with honors. This is possible if you take the advice on the forum and turn in drafts before submitting the final.

To add to this:

Dean's List is 6 credits per semester with a 3.60 or higher. 

Latin Honors:

Cum Laude 3.500-3.699

Magna Cum Laude 3.700-3.899

Summa Cum Laude 3.900-4.000

Dean's List is awarded several weeks after the semester ends. Letters are mailed to you.

Latin Honors is printed on your diploma. 

Both are noted on your transcripts.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP, StudiousTraveller

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 935 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,425 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI! FM1 10 850 01-28-2024, 11:30 PM
  Trouble getting accurate/complete degree audit? umpiiiii15 6 577 01-22-2024, 11:37 AM
  UMPI Courses Question lala25 6 1,140 01-03-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Has anyone taken non-degree courses at UMPI as a pathway to get entry into UMPI? FM1 13 883 12-18-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: FM1
  Besides courses in the degree plan do you have to take courses at UMPI like capstone? whiverem 7 918 11-08-2023, 06:06 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com vs UMPI courses - any bad Study.com to avoid? SCM101 5 808 10-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: SCM101
  How many UL credits to complete at UMPI? RachelB 7 754 09-28-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Easy 300 Level Courses Hwt673 2 724 09-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Hwt673