Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I hate you ALEKS!!!
Is there anyone with EC and ALEKS experience listing what they will and will not accept, like the past post for TESC.
Sorry to throw back to page 2, but OneNote sounds like a really good idea.
I have a copy floating around here somewhere, I shall find it and learn to use it. I should know how anyway because I am a computer guy, but I've never used OneNote in my life.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
This course is upsetting me so much as I move into the more complex stuff that I'm spending half my time fixing my desk which I have broken repeatedly in frustration. The keyboard platform is not working properly anymore, the runners are now twisted pieces of metal scrap. Smile

I've never been able to do math and I'm beginning to suspect that attempting it in this format may have been less than wise.

Funds are limited and I really want to complete it this month, thus I have spent 5-6 hours a day with the exception of yesterday (my wife and I have been together--not married, just together--five years. Dec 15th is a big day for us).
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
Try not to get too frustrated and just stick with it. ALEKS is great tool, however it is extremely difficult and it allows for zero mistakes. (as in some of the problems have multiple pieces and while a teacher may give you partial credit if you get most the problem correct, ALEKS will not)

The course was supposed to take about 60 hours, I however took longer than most. I originally assessed at 10 out of 200 and just hit 140 after 103 hours and 45 minutes. I did this in about 4 weeks, but aside from work Algebra was about all I have done.

Some tips I wish I had known when I started....

1. Notes notes and more notes. I ended up with 3 legal pads filled out on both sides, plus 57 index cards. What I wished I had done was to file them in a way I could get to topic without thumbing through all the cards and flipping through paper. I like the OneNote idea...
2. Assessments can be triggered in two ways, number of pie earned and also the total amount of time you have on the system. I found them to be about 10 hours system time or 15 pieces of pie.
3. If you are going to take a day or two off, request an assessment so you can hit the topics that are fresh in your mind. I found it better to work 8 hours straight and get assessed then to work in short blocks.

I spent most of my time earning about 10 pies then getting busted back 4-6. It was very frustrating, especially the closer you get to 140. I hit 134, then assessed at 131. Then got to 138, then got busted back to 135. Finally I hit the magic number of 140. After 100 hours it was like hitting the lottery.

Good luck.
tmcpherson13 Wrote:Try not to get too frustrated and just stick with it. ALEKS is great tool, however it is extremely difficult and it allows for zero mistakes. (as in some of the problems have multiple pieces and while a teacher may give you partial credit if you get most the problem correct, ALEKS will not)

The course was supposed to take about 60 hours, I however took longer than most. I originally assessed at 10 out of 200 and just hit 140 after 103 hours and 45 minutes. I did this in about 4 weeks, but aside from work Algebra was about all I have done.

1. Notes notes and more notes. I ended up with 3 legal pads filled out on both sides, plus 57 index cards. What I wished I had done was to file them in a way I could get to topic without thumbing through all the cards and flipping through paper. I like the OneNote idea...
2. Assessments can be triggered in two ways, number of pie earned and also the total amount of time you have on the system. I found them to be about 10 hours system time or 15 pieces of pie.
3. If you are going to take a day or two off, request an assessment so you can hit the topics that are fresh in your mind. I found it better to work 8 hours straight and get assessed then to work in short blocks.

I spent most of my time earning about 10 pies then getting busted back 4-6. It was very frustrating, especially the closer you get to 140. I hit 134, then assessed at 131. Then got to 138, then got busted back to 135. Finally I hit the magic number of 140. After 100 hours it was like hitting the lottery.

Good luck.

103 hours??? I'm doing College Algebra now and I'm at 62 and been doing it for 23 hours but seems much longer. I thought I'd have an easier time especially since I completed the 2 previous Algebra courses through Aleks. I think the key to it is like others have mentioned is to take it real slow during your initial assessment so you can pass with a 70 right off the bat. I pray on my next ALEKS course I can pass on the first try, although, I haven't had any success on my first attempt thus far.
tmcpherson13 Wrote:Try not to get too frustrated and just stick with it. ALEKS is great tool, however it is extremely difficult and it allows for zero mistakes. (as in some of the problems have multiple pieces and while a teacher may give you partial credit if you get most the problem correct, ALEKS will not)

Good luck.
>>

Your post is awesome and very helpful. (and scares meWink ) But, I am about 1/2 full in my first note book, and I suspected I should have recopied my notes into an organized method- now I'm CERTAIN that I will do that today. They were getting crazy disorganized. I never have 8 hours in a row to work.

Can I ask something, you talk about the number of sections in your pie, but you mean your assessment % right? The ACE requirement is a 70% assessment, not a certain number of sections completed. I'm kinda confused by how you kept track since most people talk about their assessment score.
As you complete the pie, you'll assess on those things. So once you get 70% of the pie done, start your assessment and hope you do well on it and then your assessment will be at 70%.

When I did stats I think I completed 74% of the pie and then requested an assessment through my main account. This way if I missed a topic or two I was still okay.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP: Sociology - 70, A&I Literature - 64, DSST: CJ - 455
BS Psychology - Peru State College - May 2011
AA - Riverland Community College - May 2009
Computer Network Admin Diploma - Hawkeye Community College
CompTIA A+ Certified[/SIZE]
The sections of pie are your Mastery Units. There are 200 Mastery Units in this course and you have to "assess" at 70%. The mastery part is a bit misleading, even if you "master" it in learning mode, and still have to have an assessment to get credit.

But wait...it gets better. Even if you "master" a unit AND pass it in an assessment you can still be asked a question from that unit (or section) in a later assessment. That is why the notes being organized are so important. I took a week off and when I got back was asked a question from waaaay back (to like 2 weeks before) and it wasn't even in my legal pad, it was back in my original pad.

Two more bits of advice I forgot to mention.

1. As noted on a previous post take your time with the initial assessment, and it is even better to do some prep work before jumping in blind. I hadn't done any prep work since I got my D (twice) in college 20 years ago. I assessed at 10 of 200 which was a fair assessment of my knowledge, however when you are at 10 looking at 130 units to go...it is a long way away. If I could have assessed a bit higher it wouldn't have taken so long, which if I had done any prep work or tried a bit harder I would have done better. Your assessments are only 22-25 questions so if your do well on more advanced questions the program is going to assume you understand the skills that preceded the problem asked.

For me some of the sections literally took minutes, and many of them took an hour or better. Remember ALEKS is brutal when it comes to accuracy, even on those 7 part problems you miss one neg sign or forget to round your decimal and you 110% incorrect. (and ALEKS doesn't tell you where)

2. Once you have completed a Mastery Unit in learning mode, it still lists that you have a problem to "review". I thought it was a good idea to finish a pie, and then immediately jump into the review and finish it up. Bad idea, you should save that review until you are closer to an assessment to keep it fresh. Sometimes an assessment is sprung on you and can't help it, just try your best to anticipate the 10 hr or 15 pie rule.

On the obtaining credit side (this is the part that makes me happy), I submitted through ACE Friday night, and this what is on the ACE website tonight.

College Algebra v.1 12/18/2009 APPROVED - SUBMITTED TO ACE FOR PROCESSING

This listed me as Pending on Friday night, so ALEKS has turned it around in one business day.

I am happy with the turn around time, and even more happy I am done with that class.
Thank you all for your replies, I have been carefully monitoring the replies but somebody banned me for some reason so I could not respond (I'm not somebody who is rude enough to waste peoples time asking questions and then not read responses!). I am happy to report that I finished beginning algebra in a week (30 some hours) thanks to all your help and have already run it through ACE. Not a bad way to spend 20 bucks... so I'm extremely grateful to all you who have helped immensely.

I'm debating if I want to do another go-around. Is the intermediate algebra much harder?

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:I'm debating if I want to do another go-around. Is the intermediate algebra much harder?

Hi,
I personally did not find Intermediate Algebra "that" much more difficult than Beg Algebra. For me, the real leap in amount of effort required came at College Algebra.

I did use a lot of online sites (posted by other ICers - thanks guys!!) for help with difficult problems. Quickmath.com, Mathway, and Purplemath are all great sites that can help reinforce concepts.

Good luck!
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 752 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,174 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,363 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 7 2,606 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,369 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Anyone frustrated with ALEKS? MeOldChina 8 2,459 05-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  How to register for ALEKS akr680 2 1,139 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Aleks courses Supermind 14 3,555 04-01-2019, 02:05 AM