Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just found this place!
(02-25-2019, 03:57 PM)allvia Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 12:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 12:14 PM)jsd Wrote: Even EC is cheaper than TESU now? That's unfortunate. TESU's changes are very disappointing.

Yes, between the new cornerstone and the residency waiver, TESU is the most expensive of the Big 3 (both for an AA and BA).

COSC - AA $3,613, BA $6,614
EC - AA $5,020, BA $7,020
TESU - AA $5,632, BA $8,657

This assumes that everyone will be taking all courses for about $100/course, so the only difference between the costs in that respect is an extra $40 for the Study.com lab fee for Bio for COSC (which requires a lab science).  Otherwise, it's and apples-to-apples comparison - so if you take 10 free CLEP's for 1 degree, you could assume that you'd have that same cost savings at the other schools.

All still an excellent bargain for a BA degree - however, that is a big jump in total cost for TESU from even just a year ago.

Edit: Keep in mind of you do take the WGU route and transfer in some credits to complete in one term, they have stricter credit transfer rules. Such as they must all be transferred before enrolling (which is not the same as applying), and they do not take NCCRS credits like the Big3 do  (which are becoming more plentiful, and are often well below the $100 estimate used here - NCCRS prices as low as $9 for a 3 credit courses through OD).  The $100 course estimate is used to compare apples to apples - showing if all other things are equal.
Hell, that’s a bargain even for a two year degree in my area. The cost for an AS at the local CC is closing in on $10,000.00. Education is getting ridiculous, when I graduated high school, that same AS was $5-$6000.00!
(02-26-2019, 05:24 AM)White_Walker Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 03:57 PM)allvia Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 12:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 12:14 PM)jsd Wrote: Even EC is cheaper than TESU now? That's unfortunate. TESU's changes are very disappointing.

Yes, between the new cornerstone and the residency waiver, TESU is the most expensive of the Big 3 (both for an AA and BA).

COSC - AA $3,613, BA $6,614
EC - AA $5,020, BA $7,020
TESU - AA $5,632, BA $8,657

This assumes that everyone will be taking all courses for about $100/course, so the only difference between the costs in that respect is an extra $40 for the Study.com lab fee for Bio for COSC (which requires a lab science).  Otherwise, it's and apples-to-apples comparison - so if you take 10 free CLEP's for 1 degree, you could assume that you'd have that same cost savings at the other schools.

All still an excellent bargain for a BA degree - however, that is a big jump in total cost for TESU from even just a year ago.

Edit: Keep in mind of you do take the WGU route and transfer in some credits to complete in one term, they have stricter credit transfer rules. Such as they must all be transferred before enrolling (which is not the same as applying), and they do not take NCCRS credits like the Big3 do  (which are becoming more plentiful, and are often well below the $100 estimate used here - NCCRS prices as low as $9 for a 3 credit courses through OD).  The $100 course estimate is used to compare apples to apples - showing if all other things are equal.
Hell, that’s a bargain even for a two year degree in my area. The cost for an AS at the local CC is closing in on $10,000.00. Education is getting ridiculous, when I graduated high school, that same AS was $5-$6000.00!

At all CC's in CA, the cost is ~$3,000.  So it's not necessarily the cost of education (although that's an issue), but it's the cost IN YOUR AREA/STATE that it can be a problem.  Our 4-yr CSU schools are $7500/yr, so it wouldn't cost much more for 2 years of CC and 2 years at a CSU for a BA here than an AA there.

And if an AA costs that much in your area, you are definitely better off getting one somewhere else.  Or skipping the AA and going straight to a BA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Here’s another one for ya guys, what is the fastest degrees at the big 3/wgu?
I think it depends on many things like if you have some credits already and how many courses are you willing to take.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • quigongene
(03-04-2019, 11:12 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I think it depends on many things like if you have some credits already and how many courses are you willing to take.

Not to mention if you have a background in the subject.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(03-04-2019, 11:12 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I think it depends on many things like if you have some credits already and how many courses are you willing to take.

No credits, no background
I would start off with the free sources of credit, to get "points on the board" and understand how you fare with online learning.

After that, I'd do the common GenEds that match up with WGU, COSC, and TESU using Modern States for CLEPS:

English Composition (keep in mind EC doesn't accept this for Comp. I & II)
Introductory Sociology
A&I Lit
Macro/Micro
Financial Accounting
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • cookderosa
(03-04-2019, 09:13 AM)White_Walker Wrote: Here’s another one for ya guys, what is the fastest degrees at the big 3/wgu?

With alternative education, they're all relatively the same speed.  Nothing stands out as being faster than anything else (I'm talking BSBA, BALS, or something like that).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-04-2019, 09:13 AM)White_Walker Wrote: Here’s another one for ya guys, what is the fastest degrees at the big 3/wgu?

Equal. The majority of courses available to you at the lowest cost are all self-paced, so it's literally up to you to decide how fast.
You could do all 4 years starting from scratch in a year. I did it in 18 months, but 12 of that included taking courses that were NOT self-paced.
(03-04-2019, 12:18 PM)White_Walker Wrote:

No credits, no background

If you're starting from scratch with no existing credits and no work experience or other background knowledge to draw on, they can all be equally quick; in the end, it will depend on your study skills, your ability to absorb and process information, and your writing skills.

Assuming everything else is equal, generally, the quickest degrees are the ones that are most easily completed using alternate credit. The most popular of those are Liberal Studies degrees and Business Administration degrees since those are the easiest to complete via alt credit from the Big 3. There are a number of other degrees you can also pursue, but some are harder than others to complete using alternate credit. It also depends on which school you intend to attend; each school has different requirements in terms of upper vs lower division credits and specific courses that must be applied to a degree.

If you're interested in business, IT, or education, you might also want to consider WGU. You can complete a degree there just as fast as one from the Big 3, but you'll need to take more courses directly from them since they require 30 credits of residency, where the Big 3 only require 3-6 credits.

If cost is a concern, they are all within $1,000-$2,000 of each other for a bachelor's degree. The cheapest is WGU and the most expensive is TESU. This assumes you can complete 30 credits/10 courses within 6 months, if not then COSC becomes the cheapest and WGU comes in just a bit above TESU.

Ultimately it is up to you to determine what you want a degree in. I suggest that you think about what interests you, what degrees will best support those interests, and then figure out which school will best support your degree plan.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Clepper43

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where is best place to get required immunization for nursing degree martingale2023 16 1,424 03-18-2023, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Silvious
  I Came to College Eager to Debate. I Found Self-Censorship Instead LevelUP 1 681 03-10-2022, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Best place to buy diploma/degree FRAMES? Toastmaster 8 1,562 09-21-2021, 11:33 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  I have found my people. letterchaser202 12 1,860 05-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Criminal Justice BA Degree - best place to get it kevinmane 9 2,098 01-27-2020, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Sacricolist
  Just found this website today - Seeking Wisdom Never2Late2Learn 18 3,122 12-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Never2Late2Learn
Question Best place to learn SQL - Cheap/Free? Johmford 15 3,765 03-31-2019, 11:43 AM
Last Post: hallk33
  Looking for suggestions on a place to start. IARS 10 2,922 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  “That place (Community College) made me what I am today” - Tom Hanks Life Long Learning 2 2,899 03-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Ethics in place of DSST Business Ethics? beatnikprodigy 2 658 06-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Last Post: DEMCCO9835