Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Degree Thomas Edison Portfolio
I found it! This is a pDF of the college catalog. Search "music." It shows several different courses- ALL "PA" prior learning assessment. So, I HAVE to take those through someone else.

What I don't get is, why doesn't TESC offer something like music history, why does it have to be PLA?

http://www.tesc.edu/files/College_Catalog_2010.2011.pdf
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
Information Systems and Computer applications 61
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Human Growth & Development 54
Sociology 58
Umm, so why does the college catalog only list like 6 music classes? Are these just the uppper level courses? Because I need 33 credits for my music area of study.
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Sociology 58
You're mostly right. TESC offers 11 PLA music courses. There are no online, guided study, FlashTrack, or ePack courses for music. Did you try your local community college? I'm taking Fundamentals of Music online (equivalent to music theory) right now at a CC.
So, where should I go for all my music courses? It's going to be a pain to explore every single college and what music courses they offer that I can transfer. And...how can I ensure that TESC will accept? Can I get transcripts from other colleges and then have them send them to TESC?
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Sociology 58
kimberose Wrote:So, where should I go for all my music courses? It's going to be a pain to explore every single college and what music courses they offer that I can transfer. And...how can I ensure that TESC will accept? Can I get transcripts from other colleges and then have them send them to TESC?

TESC does not offer a lot of classes, so as far as I know, everyone is transferring in something from somewhere. Yes, your local CC is a good place to start, but you can use any RA college (that's how you know they'll be accepted) as long as they fit. Your advisor will pre-approve your courses once you are enrolled. Ahead of enrolling, you'll need to do the best you can based on the help of those ahead of you.
Oh, okay. Thanks! It's just rather difficult because there's not a lot of music people on here, a few, but not a lot.
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Sociology 58
So, one final question ( I think! Smile

So, tell me if I'm correct or not.

I should finish my CLEPs, take my music courses from a RA college, and then enroll in TESC. Will I get transcripts as a non matriculated student for those music courses, or do I just show the TESC advisor my work?

Also, TESC has a limit of 36 credits per year. How do CLEPs and these music courses fit in that limit? If they're already completed, will TESC still count them in that limit? I'd really like to only spend tuition for one year at TESC!

Thanks everyone so much.
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Sociology 58
So, one final question ( I think! Smile

So, tell me if I'm correct or not.

I should finish my CLEPs, take my music courses from a RA college, and then enroll in TESC.

My suggestion would be to do your CLEPs for all your gen eds (or close to it) at the same timeish as taking music courses. You can likely take performance courses locally, and theory classes at a distance- or any combination of the two. Also, if you are planning on taking classes at TESC you need to figure out how the dates overlap with local classes you'd be taking. TESC is on 12 week semesters (4 per year) and your local CC might be on 16 week semesters. Also, this answer depends on your financial aid situation- if you don't mind me asking, were you going to take out a student loan? That makes a difference.

Will I get transcripts as a non matriculated student for those music courses, or do I just show the TESC advisor my work?

You request an official transcript from all credit sources (community colleges, CLEP, etc) and they are mailed to TESC. You don't give them anything, it has to be done from institution to institution.

Also, TESC has a limit of 36 credits per year.

No they don't. Take/transfer as many as you want.

How do CLEPs and these music courses fit in that limit?
If they're already completed, will TESC still count them in that limit?

N/A

I'd really like to only spend tuition for one year at TESC!

Yes, that's the ideal plan.

Thanks everyone so much.
Thankyou so much! I was paranoid about the limit on credits, I thought I saw that on the comprehensive enrollment plan, but was mistaken.

Can I ask you...why would you recommend taking CLEPs at the same time as the music courses. I find it easier to study for one thing at a time. Or is it because I can take CLEPs at my own schedule, but theory and performance are at others' schedules, so I could fit in CLEPs in between.

This is all heavily dependent on my financial situation. I am not taking out a financial loan, and not planning on it, even if it takes me longer to get my degree. At the moment, I can't afford taking a bunch of classes all at once.

Which brings me to another question. Smile I know every school is different, but for the music classes, approximately how much would be, say, 3 credits as a non-enrolled student.

Unfortunately, our community college is a "techy" college, Ivy Tech, so it doesn't really offer anything. I will need to go online or take classes from the nearby state university or private Christian university. The private university is closer, but I'm thinking their courses are going to be a lot more expensive. Both colleges accept non-enrolled students. I've contacted both colleges, but neither has clear information about how much courses cost for nonenrolled students.
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Sociology 58

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,939 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero