• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey: BA in English from TESU
To summarize the rest of my English plan:
- CLEP American Lit (6)
- BYU Chinese poetry (3)
- Shmoop 3 of their UL courses (9)
- Shmoop 1 of their LL courses (3)
- Capstone (3)

(I have 3 UL in English already. I have A&I Lit already. I also have other LL credits but need to meet the "24 new".)

BYU would be around $610 with proctoring fees. Free CLEP through Modern States. $88 Shmoop. I'm going to consider the Capstone as "free" and count it as part of my CS costs. So the total is $698 to add this onto my BA-CS degree.

I expect to struggle with the Shmoop Lit courses because of past experience, but I would be able to fail 2 of their 5 UL courses, and still make this work for the same cost Smile Possibly for an extra month for a total of $786.

Looks like a good plan. Perhaps best to get those Shmoop UL done sooner rather than later with all this talk of downgrades. That's what I'm trying to do. It's a long slow process, but not a completely unenjoyable one. I'm halfway through Women's Lit and learning a ton. I don't hate it!
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(01-10-2018, 02:55 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Looks like a good plan. Perhaps best to get those Shmoop UL done sooner rather than later with all this talk of downgrades. That's what I'm trying to do. It's a long slow process, but not a completely unenjoyable one. I'm halfway through Women's Lit and learning a ton. I don't hate it!

Yeah, that's a good idea. Since I'm probably delaying my graduation (for my first degrees), anything I do before mid-May (according to one person at TESU) won't count as new. But I may have to do it before mid-May to be safe, which would mean doing 3 extra LL Shmoop Lit courses later on. Because if I end up having to pay $650+ per UL course, I will have to skip getting an English degree. Thanks for mentioning this.

I'm glad Women's Lit is working out for you. Do you guess you're spending 3-4 weeks per UL Lit course? But only 20 something hours a week?

My time has been in fits and starts. It's just a busy season for my family. I read everything, and open all the tabs and leave them open, but I think sometimes the questions I miss are coming from the course pages that you move through that you can't leave open. I may try to make a word doc of those pages. I'm half-way through and only have a 74% so I need to turn up the attention span and for the rest of the course.

I thought I could do 2 courses a month (and I did with Bible and Shakespeare) but Women's Lit is a lot slower and will take me the full month. But I can only give it about 6-7 hours a week right now. If I could just sit without interruption and work on it I bet I could meet the goal of 2 per month. Life just keeps getting in the way!
Amy
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
(01-10-2018, 03:13 PM)originalamyj Wrote: I'm half-way through and only have a 74% so I need to turn up the attention span and for the rest of the course.

I thought I could do 2 courses a month (and I did with Bible and Shakespeare) but Women's Lit is a lot slower and will take me the full month. But I can only give it about 6-7 hours a week right now.

Good luck! I know how it is, and you wish you could have more hours now, to make more progress. I think it's more challenging when you're forced to stop and start. Personally I end up having to repeat some work if there's enough breaks or if it spans a longer time period.

Thanks for sharing your approx times. Gives me a better idea of how quickly I can go, which I need, so I can pick a good day to start a membership.

I found it interesting that Information Literacy is counting in the AOS, under English Electives. ENG-106 for 3 credits. It was pretty easy at Davar, and I'm sure it's one of the easier courses elsewhere, if anyone needs 3 quick LL credits. This is under my unofficial academic eval.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Yenisei
I'm still considering attempting PLA for Non-Western Lit. I would go through LearningCounts. Of course, if my attempt succeeds then I've saved money and feel good that I passed that small challenge. If I don't, it's a real waste of money ($275) and time. One way I could hedge my bets is to attempt PLA for the Chinese Poetry curriculum. That course does look interesting, but I'm really interested in attempting to make my own course. Obviously my own course would still need to be similar to an actual, specific course, but I feel I could choose all my own books, writing topics, etc.

Interesting idea. What books would you choose if you design your own course?

I’m not particularly interested in Chinese poetry but maybe it’ll be good. Id much rather do African or Middle Eastern Lit. I wish Russian Lit would be considered non-western!
Amy
(01-11-2018, 06:05 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Interesting idea. What books would you choose if you design your own course?

I’m not particularly interested in Chinese poetry but maybe it’ll be good. Id much rather do African or Middle Eastern Lit. I wish Russian Lit would be considered non-western!

I haven't thought much about it. I was wondering if do a bit of each (African vs. Middle Eastern vs. 2-3 others)?

I think it should be.

(01-11-2018, 06:33 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 06:05 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Interesting idea. What books would you choose if you design your own course?

I haven't thought much about it. I was wondering if do a bit of each (African vs. Middle Eastern vs. 2-3 others)?

I think it should be.

Lots of options here: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/non...literature 
and here: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/non-western
[-] The following 1 user Likes DIGI-212's post:
  • originalamyj

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 16 719 1 hour ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 270 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,159 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch