Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New from Harvard Extension School
(07-29-2019, 11:52 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 11:30 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 11:48 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 02:58 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:15 AM)Stoic Wrote: they won't want anything to do with you there and will roll their eyes at you in public…

though I already know that I will be stigmatized, and belittled there through indirect communication.

I've done the "living in Cambridge and joining clubs, etc" thing and have seen a few things. These aren't remotely words I would use to describe relations between HES students or graduates and the rest of the university.

Who is they? Who do you believe would stigmatize and belittle you based on being an HES student or graduate, and how?
Students from within Harvard and other schools, professors, etc. They all talk so badly about extension students via student forums, reddit, etc. It makes me feel like if I go there I’ll be like a stray mutt dog who’s trying to mix in with the dogs that are well groomed ready for competition, and have nice owners. Basically like duke from the secret lives of pets. But then again this is all stuff I make up in my own head based on info that could very well be misinformation.

You know that's only because they had to walk 5 miles each way in the snow without shoes on....
Isn't this like high school drama? They have decided that they're the popular kids, and you'll never measure up unless you're just like them.  Of course, as soon as you leave "high school" and are part of the real world, the intensity of their opinion fades away into the noise of life.  Redit and student forums are not the real world.
What % of the real world cares about the nuances of Harvard College at Harvard University vs any of the other colleges of Harvard University?  1? 2?  Honestly, what % of the world cares where you went to school at all?

My opinion is to drive your own ship full speed ahead.
I agree with this! However, I am curious, just for my own sake, if a degree from HES would enhance, or hinder, ones ability to pursue a PhD in a traditional format should one wish to do so. My initial thought is no but I do not personally know anyone, nor have I seen anything, discussing such.

In my opinion, if a traditional PhD is your goal, you should pursue a traditional undergrad. Stipend-funded PhD programs are competitive anyway, but do I think someone could get into "a" PhD program? Probably. Apply widely. How many programs are we even talking about? Research institutions, so maybe we count the land-grant university / tribal schools? I don't know maybe 100-150 schools. Can someone with a bachelor's or master's from HES get into one of them? My money says yes all day long - but I'm an optimist. I believe pessimists are just trying to scare away the competition and thin the pool, so I'm especially motivated by someone ELSE telling me what they think I can't do. <smile> It's almost my favorite kind of challenge.
(07-29-2019, 07:01 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 11:52 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 11:30 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 11:48 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 02:58 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: I've done the "living in Cambridge and joining clubs, etc" thing and have seen a few things. These aren't remotely words I would use to describe relations between HES students or graduates and the rest of the university.

Who is they? Who do you believe would stigmatize and belittle you based on being an HES student or graduate, and how?
Students from within Harvard and other schools, professors, etc. They all talk so badly about extension students via student forums, reddit, etc. It makes me feel like if I go there I’ll be like a stray mutt dog who’s trying to mix in with the dogs that are well groomed ready for competition, and have nice owners. Basically like duke from the secret lives of pets. But then again this is all stuff I make up in my own head based on info that could very well be misinformation.

You know that's only because they had to walk 5 miles each way in the snow without shoes on....
Isn't this like high school drama? They have decided that they're the popular kids, and you'll never measure up unless you're just like them.  Of course, as soon as you leave "high school" and are part of the real world, the intensity of their opinion fades away into the noise of life.  Redit and student forums are not the real world.
What % of the real world cares about the nuances of Harvard College at Harvard University vs any of the other colleges of Harvard University?  1? 2?  Honestly, what % of the world cares where you went to school at all?

My opinion is to drive your own ship full speed ahead.
I agree with this! However, I am curious, just for my own sake, if a degree from HES would enhance, or hinder, ones ability to pursue a PhD in a traditional format should one wish to do so. My initial thought is no but I do not personally know anyone, nor have I seen anything, discussing such.

In my opinion, if a traditional PhD is your goal, you should pursue a traditional undergrad.  Stipend-funded PhD programs are competitive anyway, but do I think someone could get into "a" PhD program?  Probably.  Apply widely.  How many programs are we even talking about?  Research institutions, so maybe we count the land-grant university / tribal schools?  I don't know maybe 100-150 schools.  Can someone with a bachelor's or master's from HES get into one of them?  My money says yes all day long - but I'm an optimist.  I believe pessimists are just trying to scare away the competition and thin the pool, so I'm especially motivated by someone ELSE telling me what they think I can't do.  <smile>  It's almost my favorite kind of challenge.
That makes sense! Hopefully I can come back and update as I pursued my MBA and am pursuing my MS online with the intent of applying to PhD programs. Lol
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,339 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,273 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,265 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,347 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,061 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,500 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,203 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger