Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure where to start...
dfrecore Wrote:I agree that testing is a good option, as well as online courses.

One thing to keep in mind is that testing can be a hassle for many people (distance, limited times to take exams, cost if you have to pay more than $20 for testing center fees, etc.). Not only was my testing center fairly far away and inconvenient to get to (including paying for parking and walking quite a distance across campus), they had very inconvenient hours and limited availability to administer tests (I couldn't sign up for a DSST AND CLEP exam on the same day, I couldn't sign up for more than 1 exam per day even if I had the time to take one in my time slot, and they only had 1 computer they allowed for CLEP/DSST testing in a very large, empty computer lab with 100% computers in it). It was not really worth it for me to test out of much with the barriers they threw up. I was very glad when I got the opportunity to take TECEP exams though, because I'm a pretty decent tester, and a night owl, which was great since I had homeschooled kids at home when I was testing and could schedule them after everyone went to bed.

Then, there are plenty of people who are not good testers - so when you say that a test is very easy and can easily taken cold, that really applies to YOU, but not to everyone. If you have a testing anxiety, then this is definitely easier said than done.

I have also found that people that contact me privately are pretty test-averse. They are really busy at work during the day, and can't get away to test. But they all manage to fit in some courses at night via SL, Study.com, Saylor, etc. That's just been my personal experience though, I'm sure others have people who just want to test out completely.

I like the fact that we have MANY options open to people, and you are not stuck with just 1 way to take most courses. If you want to test, great. If you want to take SL courses, go for it. Saylor - have at it. Each person gets to choose the option that works best for THEM. It's a pretty great system.

Similar Problems here with CLEP/DSST exams. I have been limited to taking One a Month because my testing center has been limited. I got lucky and managed to get two done in one month but mostly 1 a month. Now I really on the heels of the deadline for 12/3 and hoping to be able to get in before it fills up. It usually says FULL when I go to the testing center and when I get to it, usually at least half the computers are still open. I can only take 1 per day and can't take a CLEP and DSST. I did find a test center about an hour away that can do multiple CLEPS on the same day. I'd try that but who knows how the weather will be in the next coming months.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
OakLakeNC Wrote:...If I were you, I would probably start knocking out credits that all degrees need- English, Humanities, Science, Math, etc...

So I don't have to enroll first? I can just start passing tests? I know its probably a dumb question, but is there an actual list of courses that all degrees need? Also, how would I know the exact courses a certain bachelors degree requires? Is it a published curriculum?
pmm Wrote:So I don't have to enroll first? I can just start passing tests? I know its probably a dumb question, but is there an actual list of courses that all degrees need? Also, how would I know the exact courses a certain bachelors degree requires? Is it a published curriculum?

You can start taking courses/exam, and enroll whenever you want.

I'm not sure which school in particular you're asking about, so here is info pertaining to TESU.

Here is TESU's list of degrees, click on one and see what the requirements are:Online Degree Programs | Thomas Edison State University

And here's the list of what counts in each area: Thomas Edison State University | General Education - 2016 or After - although there are plenty of other courses that will work in most areas, this is just their list of their own courses that will work. For instance, in Ethical Leadership, they list 7 courses that they teach. But if you took an ethics course at another college, they will take that one even if it's not exactly the same as the ones on their list.

If you want to start researching credit-by-exam degrees, here's a good place to start:http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html

Then, start reading through this forum a couple of times a day, and read the posts all the way through starting from the beginning. After a while, it will start to make sense. Then, you can start to lay out a plan for your exams/courses you want to take, and begin.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:If you want to start researching credit-by-exam degrees, here's a good place to start:http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html

Just be careful there, a handful of that stuff is already out dated. No more Kaplan PLA for starters, and one of the three NFA courses mentioned is no longer approved for credit. Double check info before committing to anything.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,042 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Looking for Help with my TESU start Dacowta 1 907 02-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Start of my Journey. oniflednitsua 5 1,311 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
  Literal First Step? BS@TESU I just need to start find myself procrastinating. David.Hamad 8 2,353 08-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Easy TECEPs to start with Al2010x 11 2,952 05-21-2017, 11:50 PM
  TESU: ready to start but I need HELP! ReeseP 13 1,956 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Last Post: KayV
  Overwhelmed! Where should I start? Degreegirl1 12 1,782 10-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Testing out toward a degree but don't know where to start ray_scanlon 32 2,593 08-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Start Your Summer with Sophia bjcheung77 0 518 06-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fresh Start on BSBA Finance. How do I strategize for future? singhrr 5 860 03-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone