Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online proctoring: Does anyone even pay attention?
I've now taken several online proctored exams, through CLEP and SDC.

And I am beginning to wonder if the whole thing is just an illusion of proctoring, with a theoretical possibility that someone could be watching or checking the video later.

With SDC, everything is recorded, there's nobody live looking at your ID, your space, or you taking your test. It's all recorded and supposedly later somebody reviews it.  They tell you that if your ID is fuzzy, or your room scan isn't good, that they can invalidate your test, and likewise, if anyone does anything shady or looks like they are cheating that it's the same thing.

But does anyone actually watch the video?  My guess is no. The temptation to simply cut corners seems too great. Why pay a whole bunch of folks in some third world country to actually watch thousands of people sit in front of their webcams for hours?  Maybe they check the ID and scrub through the video.  Or maybe they do this only if SDC thinks that your score is too high or something.  Anyone have any idea?

And with CLEP... I had the fiasco with my at-home proctiring, which was supposedly live. The proctor did have me move the camera to show the room, and show my ID, and set me up to take the test... but then, when I had a problem, it took over 10 minutes, and three messages in the chat window, to get him to respond.  What if I was doing something shady or suspicious?  If he didn''t notice I was moving around and talking on the phone (to their phone support), would he notice if I was cheating?  And for that matter, who is overseeing the proctors or the people reviewing the videos in SDC's case? Are they actually doing their job? What motivation would they have to do so?

I am really wondering if the whole thing is basically a corporate version of giving plausible deniability.  SDC or College Board or UExcel or whomever can make the claim that there's proctoring happening, and if something comes up later, they can check a video... but I really wonder if, in routine circumstances, anyone is really watching?

Anyone got any experiences that confirm or refute the above?
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • lucillegyl
My guess is that it's like random drug testing - you never know if/when you'll get caught. It's not like in-person proctoring is 100% guaranteed to catch cheaters either, so my guess is that they go with "good enough" while giving students the impression that it's even stricter than in-person.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
So I think it like a 10% pull because I actually got contacted about my video once. My youngest decided that it was snack time at 2am (I take exams when my family sleeps) and ran into the kitchen yelling "figgy nunus". I was mortified lol. My test wasn't invalidated, but I was informed by email to not have anyone in the room or they could lol.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 3 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Dorothy44, Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az
(06-25-2021, 05:29 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: So I think it like a 10% pull because I actually got contacted about my video once. My youngest decided that it was snack time at 2am (I take exams when my family sleeps) and ran into the kitchen yelling "figgy nunus". I was mortified lol. My test wasn't invalidated, but I was informed by email to not have anyone in the room or they could lol.

Because a toddler could totally give you answers for your college courses. LOL.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 7 users Like Vle045's post:
  • Dorothy44, katsiki, Murdockb, rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL, ss20ts, studyingfortests
(06-25-2021, 07:32 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 05:29 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: So I think it like a 10% pull because I actually got contacted about my video once. My youngest decided that it was snack time at 2am (I take exams when my family sleeps) and ran into the kitchen yelling "figgy nunus". I was mortified lol. My test wasn't invalidated, but I was informed by email to not have anyone in the room or they could lol.

Because a toddler could totally give you answers for your college courses. LOL.

You don't think figgy nunus was an answer? LOL It's a secret code they created.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL
Each and every exam, they have protocols in place. For PoctorU, I've been flagged 3 times and each time they say it's a "technical issue". One shouldn't have been as I was just "debating" with the proctor about having to present a second picture ID, my passport, and I also asked if the exam was open book or not. His notes indicated it's not, but SL's webpage indicated it was open book... long story short, no technical issue, he just wanted to be a fart-head and flag the exam.

I've taken numerous Study.com exams, in the bathroom, but never been flagged. RPNow should be much more users friendly as all they do is listen to the audio and review the video, they can do this at X speed, so a 2 hour exam can be done in 10 minutes of review. They charge each college, university, or institution a fee, they use that fee to pay a third party (from a developing country probably) to review them at pennies on the dollar.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
A lot of the proctors use AI to detect cheating.  So certain things like looking away for a certain period of time can trigger an alert.  The AI is watching what your eyes are focusing on and it is pretty precise. 

They are paying someone in a third-world country to watch multiple people at the same time so that's why the costs are low.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Slightly different because this is through the university and not a provider like SDC et al, but as a TA I have definitely been tasked with reviewing flagged proctoring sessions. The ones not flagged by the system generally go unwatched.

Every institution is going to handle it differently trough.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The AI thing makes sense. What I'm guessing is that the live proctors in third-world countries are probalby not very diligent, but that the AI that looks at recorded sessions is probably prety good at detecting people looking away from their screens.

I'm just hoping that the process is reasonably robust. There's so much rampant cheating (the recent articles about Chegg and CourseHero, for example) that it's really disheartening to consider that some folks "passing" classes may have little or no knowledge about the course they've supposedly passed.
Passing an exam does not mean that you know the material, though. Traditionally, students cram before a test and then you retain almost none of that the next day. Conversely, some people are really bad at exams. They know the material but the stress of an exam means that they'd still fail.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to any of this, even though schools want to stick everyone into the same mold.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Novo, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST can't insert school code when remote proctoring. Carnation 1 213 11-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP home proctoring issues Carnation 37 4,102 08-18-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  DSSTs now available online for EVERYONE rachel83az 27 4,145 04-08-2023, 04:03 PM
Last Post: jazzcat
  Have you used online proctoring for CLEP? sgloer 14 6,451 06-19-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: virino
  Online CLEP (proctoring) katsiki 9 1,998 06-17-2022, 05:59 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Heads up: home proctoring ambiguity studyingfortests 8 1,518 06-25-2021, 04:39 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  CLEP® Remote Proctoring Requirements rainbowsome 7 1,788 06-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Updated UExcel online exams list rachel83az 15 2,865 03-22-2021, 12:12 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Do mobile and online instantcert flashcards sync? will1030 0 1,021 09-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Last Post: will1030
  ACT online testing for ACE credits??? nomaduser 15 3,050 09-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Dorothy44