Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS
Hello everyone, I’ve been looking all over this forum and collecting as much info as I can. Now I’m at a point where I’m a little confused.
I’m interested in getting the BOG AAS a from Pierpont. I have 12 credits from a RA school, way out of HS and don’t have a degree.

My end goal for now is to get certification from ASCP for my job. In order to qualify I need 60 credits or an Associates, with 12 credits being a combination of BIO and CHEM.

Talking with Nancy at Pierpont, I realize that do not accept BIO CLEP credits. So my question is, what’s the difference between getting credits from CLEP and a place like Saylor or Straighterline? Does that make a difference as to whether they accept it or not? I’d rather not have to take an extra course just because they won’t accept BIO, but I realize this may be the only option. Well, there is COSC but BOG is so much cheaper. I have to pick between those two because according to the ASCP guidelines they fall under the correct accreditations.
Thanks everyone.
What credit courses do you already have? And are any of them Bio or Chem already?  If you do have to take Bio w/Labs I can recommend taking them through Clovis CC (NM) http://www.clovis.edu/ - RA credits, courses completely online and very affordable no matter where you live
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

If I read this right, you need 60 credits OR an associate's? If so, I'd bypass Pierpont and enroll for a bachelor's degree at COSC or TESU. They'll both take the CLEP and all other alternative credit. When you reach 60 credits, send your transcript off to get your certification. After that you can decide whether to finish off a bachelor's or not.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • allvia, cookderosa
(08-10-2018, 04:46 PM)davewill Wrote: If I read this right, you need 60 credits OR an associate's? If so, I'd bypass Pierpont and enroll for a bachelor's degree at COSC or TESU. They'll both take the CLEP and all other alternative credit. When you reach 60 credits, send your transcript off to get your certification. After that you can decide whether to finish off a bachelor's or not.

This is a good suggestion because yes, there is a difference between getting CLEP and classroom onto a transcript. In order for CLEP, Straighterline, etc. to materialize into countable credits, they have to appear on your transcript from a college. (there are narrow exceptions) so Dave's idea is a home run.
(08-10-2018, 04:46 PM)davewill Wrote: If I read this right, you need 60 credits OR an associate's? If so, I'd bypass Pierpont and enroll for a bachelor's degree at COSC or TESU. They'll both take the CLEP and all other alternative credit. When you reach 60 credits, send your transcript off to get your certification. After that you can decide whether to finish off a bachelor's or not.

If the OP just needs 60credits, do they even need to enroll in a degree program? They would have to pay semester fees, application fees, and transcript fees.

I guess the real question is, do the 60 credits need to be on a college transcript? If not, modern states your 60 credits and be done with it. If they do, enroll in NMJC, Clovis, or Rio Salado. No application fees, nice faculty, cheap tuition.

If you don’t already have all of your credits ready to send to Pierpont, I have doubts the program will stick around long enough for you to get the BOG. I’m sure residency requirements are coming very soon. Plus, the lack of a transcript will put you in the same situation with you having to submit a CLEP transcript to whomever.

Or maybe this is one of the rare times one of the Big 3 credit banking services will actually work.

I would get clarification on exactly what is needed. Post requirements and we can better answer your question.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I think Pierpont WILL take CLEP Bio - so the question is, does the program you want accept CLEP or not? If not, then you're going to need your BIO/CHEM credits to come from somewhere else. Will THEY take SL/Study.com or whatever? Or do they have to be from a college? Do you have to have labs, and can they be online or virtual labs? Do the courses have to be graded?

I don't think Pierpont is the issue, rather the program is the issue. I would find out about that before you go any further.

Then, like Davewill said, go ahead and enroll at TESU, do all the credits you need (the science ones however you need), and get your 60 credits and science qualifications met. Send your transcript in when you qualify. Done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-10-2018, 10:59 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think Pierpont WILL take CLEP Bio

Actually, they don't....

https://www.pierpont.edu/sites/default/f...202017.pdf
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. What would the costs involved be for just enrolling into TESU or COSC just for the purpose of holding my credits?

Yes the credits do need to appear on a official college transcript from a RA school.

That’s literally all it says. 60 credits OR associates. Both with BIO/CHEM 12 credits. Then you send them proof of your degree or education through college transcripts.

I’m looking to get ceritified as a Histotechnician from ASCP.
https://www.ascp.org/content/docs/defaul...f?sfvrsn=2

If you search for “transcript” on the page you’ll see the requirements. Actually now that I think about it, only COSC meets the accreditation requirements. And Pierpont as well.

As far as what I’ve taken at my RA community college:
general psychology
Figure drawing
Into to computer based design
Japanese 1

So I’d need to take quite a bit to get there.
For TESU it costs a $75 application fee plus a $75 TECEP test to become enrolled for a year. To extend each additional year, take another TECEP. They also have a $300 credit banking option, but it's cheaper to become an enrolled student.

(08-11-2018, 10:50 AM)Faceparade Wrote: ...

If you search for “transcript” on the page you’ll see the requirements. Actually now that I think about it, only COSC meets the accreditation requirements. And Pierpont as well.
That document doesn't talk about the cert you're trying for. Where it does talk about transcripts and accreditation, it only says it has to be RA, nothing else special that would keep TESU from being an option.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-11-2018, 11:18 AM)davewill Wrote: For TESU it costs a $75 application fee plus a $75 TECEP test to become enrolled for a year. To extend each additional year, take another TECEP. They also have a $300 credit banking option, but it's cheaper to become an enrolled student.

(08-11-2018, 10:50 AM)Faceparade Wrote: ...

That document doesn't talk about the cert you're trying for. Where it does talk about transcripts and accreditation, it only says it has to be RA, nothing else special that would keep TESU from being an option.

If anything it rules out Pierpont BOG AAS - Pierpont will give you an RA degree, but they will not supply you a transcript see: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...erpont+BOG.  If I were you based on the requirements you need I would definitely go with TESU.  They offer a ASNSM in Biology https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/biology - which would give you everything you need Biology as the AOS and then you could meet your 'D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World' with Chem credits - No expensive capstone course, only the cornerstone and residency waiver with them.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Tedium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 332 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 152 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 350 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 547 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 544 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 814 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,460 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,205 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 881 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 17 2,218 02-20-2024, 02:25 PM