Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com New CS Courses
At my local college, Discrete Mathematics has the following pre-requisites:
  • Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (this has Precalculus and College Algebra as prereq's)
  • Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming (in C++ or Java)
So it isn't meant to be an easy drop-in math course, despite being lower-level.

(FYI, I moved the 17 posts from the derailed conversation to the off-topic forum. If you want to continue the conversation, keep it civil, but don't bring it back here.)
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • MNomadic
I took the TESU Discrete Math course, but I didn't see why one would have needed anything but Algebra. It was taught as a straight up math course, no need for programming knowledge.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-14-2018, 05:24 PM)davewill Wrote: I took the TESU Discrete Math course, but I didn't see why one would have needed anything but Algebra. It was taught as a straight up math course, no need for programming knowledge.

I was considering this course from TESU.  How did you find it?  Would you recommend it?
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
(12-14-2018, 05:57 PM)mednat Wrote: I was considering this course from TESU.  How did you find it?  Would you recommend it?

Not now that you can get it cheaper. You have to teach yourself, anyway, so you might as well get it cheap. If you do take it be sure to get the solutions manual, as it was invaluable especially figuring out the proofs.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • mednat
Anyone else have feedback on Computer Architecture? I'm starting it. The assignment looks hard.

(12-20-2018, 06:56 AM)Ideas Wrote: Anyone else have feedback on Computer Architecture? I'm starting it. The assignment looks hard.

I started it...and decided it'd be much easier with discrete math completed first.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I’m going in right now Ideas, I started looking at video tutorial about logisim, this is going to be a true UL, I might try to run the full course first and come back to the Assigment
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(12-14-2018, 08:25 AM)posabsolute Wrote: I just passed the exam, it was in the most difficult exams I did at SDC, I would compare it to applied managerial accounting in terms of difficulty.

That being said, I didn’t study enough, I basically did the practice tests for all the sections and went for it. I got taken by surprise a couple of time in the exam. In total, I spent 2 weeks on the course. In general, an 80+ quiz course I would do in 1 week.

I think most people can have a high mark with a couple of nights of study. Even understanding the Algebra and programming stuff, you can youtube your way to get more background information on those.

I was planning to study extra for Discrete Math because of your post, but I ended up with some time pressure due to personal reasons, and I went for it. I felt that some of the exam questions weren't covered by the quizzes, so it was harder than expected in that way. I didn't feel that programming background is required, and only a few lessons required math background. 

I would suggest not making the stupid mistake I made, and having an approved calculator that you know how to use. I was attempting to use a different calculator than normal and could not get the calculator to do what I wanted. Also scratch paper would have been a good idea for me, mostly since the calculator was no help. RPNow rules say to show both sides of your blank scratch paper.

(11-18-2018, 04:52 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: I hope to finish all three in one month and then I'll do System Analysis & Design, finally ending it with Computer Architecture next month.

Did you do CA?

(12-20-2018, 04:36 PM)posabsolute Wrote: I’m going in right now Ideas, I started looking at video tutorial about logisim, this is going to be a true UL, I might try to run the full course first and come back to the Assigment

I expect that I'll have to look at outside resources for Computer Architecture, so suggestions are welcome from anyone. I hope it's not too slow.

@Ideas actually with a programming background discrete math is easier, because of the way of thinking logically. Did you pass the final? I passed the final easily and its cause logic stuff is second nature. The only things for the final I had to think about were the permutation and combination formula.

I'm not saying programming is required, but it helps a lot, especially the section on trees if you think of them like data structures. I thought of the course from the computing and programming mindset and only two modules around the middle of the course I found were challenging.

And if you want my advice on the computer architecture, as I mentioned earlier when I passed the course, read this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Electroni...0470032146

It will serve you not only in this course but in your life work as well. It is the BEST book on the topic I read. This book along with the Art of Electronics and Handbook or Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists are invaluable resourses for anyone working with tech.

I built a CPU already for an FPGA using VHDL and build curcuits with logic ICs in my free time and still thought the final assignment was no walk in the park.

I even had to make a hack for one part of the assignment I knew would make the prof or grader smile.

Read that book and enjoy the topic.

You dont have to listen to me, but I took a few days on each of these courses, so I think I have an idea of what I'm talking about, I only didnt do all cause that $70 extra for courses I dont need didnt make sense. You can heed my advice or not, I just hope another reader will.

For the discrete math, approach it from a programmers mindset and the computer architecture immerse yourself and enjoy the course.Read the book and understand it.

Else designing your own assembly language to run on a CPU you just designed will be the most difficult thing you ever do.

These are called weed out courses in B&M for a reason, jost enjoy the courses and love the topics and you will pass in a few days time.

These are quite easy compared to stuff I have worked on in the real world, only the C course I dont think the grader understood what I did and said the program wont run when it did.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 380 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,321 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,478 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,677 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 601 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,394 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat