Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Non-wetern Literature requirement
My daughter is looking for a class to fulfill the Non-western Literature requirement for a BA in ENG at TESC. Has anyone had success transferring in a class from another online school to meet this requirement? I believe that Verity Institute English majors who transfer into TESC transfer in a class from some online college to meet this requirement, but I don't know which one. Does anyone know anything about this? Thank you.
I don't speak from personal experience, but I've heard that Western Washington University has Chinese and Japanese literature courses that are pretty interesting.
Lynn14 Wrote:My daughter is looking for a class to fulfill the Non-western Literature requirement for a BA in ENG at TESC. Has anyone had success transferring in a class from another online school to meet this requirement? I believe that Verity Institute English majors who transfer into TESC transfer in a class from some online college to meet this requirement, but I don't know which one. Does anyone know anything about this? Thank you.

When you get to the stage when you need the course, you can take it from any regionally accredited college (online or in person). The key is to have TESC pre-approve the course to ensure a smooth transfer and know ahead of time what course code they will use for it. Your advisor can "plan" the course in and that will guarantee that it transfers. Pick a school, check the their accredidation, and have TESC plan it into the degree plan. The other option appears to be taking the course straight from TESC (Thomas Edison State College: Secondary Category Landing Page). If that is the last loose end in the degree program, the best bet may be to schedule an advising appointment with TESC and ask them what they will accept. Don't forget one other valuable tool, the search feature of this site will help you find people who have the same question. Search BA English TESC in the upper right and you'll find a lot of great help.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Do you need to be an enrolled TESC student to get a course pre-approved through TESC? Also, has anyone tried passing in a course like "The Bible as Literature" (LSU?) to fulfill this requirement? The Bible is literature from Israel which would be non-western. Thank you for your replies.
Lynn14 Wrote:Do you need to be an enrolled TESC student to get a course pre-approved through TESC?

For official approval on your specific degree plan, yes. However, you can still check to see if courses will transfer to TESC and at what level without being enrolled.

Quote:Also, has anyone tried passing in a course like "The Bible as Literature" (LSU?) to fulfill this requirement? The Bible is literature from Israel which would be non-western. Thank you for your replies.

Given how important the Bible has been in Western literature I think you may have a difficult time getting approval for that. They may just come back and say, "Well the NT was written in Greek so that's Western".
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Lynn14: I am on the same degree path as your daughter, and have scoured the internet trying to find an online class or correspondence course that I can substitute for the TESC non-western literature class. They are few and far between. To make it even more difficult, I also want it to be a 300/400 class so it can be used in the 18 credit upper-level requirement for the BA in English degree.

Additionally, searching this forum for a non-western literature substitute brings up a few threads asking the same question, but little in the way of alternatives. I have four other classes to take before I need to make a decision on the non-western class; right now it looks like I'll be taking the TESC course.

Here are links to the alternatives I came up with:

Literature Classes - Amarillo College English
APU Course: LITR360 - Russian Literature
Wilmington University Course Descriptions
School of Arts & Sciences - English Course Descriptions - Peru State College
Courses (Search World Literature)
Class Syllabus
World Literature I

I hope this is helpful. To return the favor, please, please, please, posts links for alternative non-western literature courses YOU have found to this thread. We can all benefit by it.

Good luck!

Steve
DSH2007 Wrote:Accredited Distance English Courses Online: CALCampus
CALCampus isn't accredited at the college level. It's accredited as a high school with a non-degree adult-vocational division. I would be surprised if TESC, any Big Three school, or most RA schools would accept this credit.
Charter Oak State College
ENG 302 World Literature for Children (8-week syllabus, 15-week syllabus, Course Schedule Search)

As of this writing, the next section clearly open for registration is an 8-week section running from March 25 to May 19. There are a few spots open for a 15-week section from January 22 to May 5. The normal registration period for that session ended today at noon!, but a call to the registrar might still get you in.

This is an ENG course and Liberal Arts at Charter Oak, not a professional-studies education course, and it counts for both the Non-U.S. History/Culture and Global Understanding gen ed requirements at CO.
Good catch; I didn't see that. I've removed it from my list.

Thanks, Jonathan!
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:Charter Oak State College
ENG 302 World Literature for Children (8-week syllabus, 15-week syllabus, Course Schedule Search)

As of this writing, the next section clearly open for registration is an 8-week section running from March 25 to May 19. There are a few spots open for a 15-week section from January 22 to May 5. The normal registration period for that session ended today at noon!, but a call to the registrar might still get you in.

This is an ENG course and Liberal Arts at Charter Oak, not a professional-studies education course, and it counts for both the Non-U.S. History/Culture and Global Understanding gen ed requirements at CO.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Are you saying, Jonathan, that this course should pass in to meet the Non-western Literature requirement?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,726 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,664 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,560 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew
  TESU - Free Ethics Course/ Upper-Level vs Ethics Requirement Silly_Me 12 3,204 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  To CLEP the Survey of Lit II requirement: are the optional essays really optional? leland.kirk 2 1,221 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  TESU Cornerstone - cheapest way to satisfy requirement? Silly_Me 7 1,660 04-14-2018, 11:40 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,566 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  TESU Diversity Requirement? YeaStudy 5 1,825 04-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  A&I literature Information Literacy TESU fork 5 1,700 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU BSBA, FIN-200 satisfies core finance requirement? StoicJ 7 1,969 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore