Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC degrees?
I'm trying to figure out which degree would be best for me. I'm planning on enrolling in TESC, and all of the credits I have will be through CLEP or DANTE. I haven't done any other upper-level college work. I know TESC will theoretically accept 120 transferred credit hours, but I'd like to test out of as much as I possibly can. Money is the main issue here, and the TECEPs are quite a bit more pricey. The actual degree is irrelevant, I just have to get one.

I've been planning on getting a BA in history because there were a number of history CLEP/DANTE tests and I thought I should be able to get most of the hours through testing. However, a friend of mine just informed me that TESC doesn't accept those tests in the "area of concentration" for a BA in history, though they can be used as electives. So... I guess my question is, is it possible to use CLEPs and Dantes for most of my degree? Or will I have to just bite the bullet and just pay for the TECEPs? Is there a different degree where I can test out of more than 90 hours before enrolling? My heart isn't set on History, I just want to take as few TECEPs as possible.
I am currently enrolled at TESC, for a BA History. I am not sure what test your friend was talkin about but the ones that I have took, as well as plan on taking, for history have counted toward my History concentration. American History I/II, Western Civilization I/II, Civil War & Reconstruction, Intro to Modern Middle East, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, and a few other count toward the History concentration. Since price is an issue you can also look toward LSU independent study, if you need to some classes.
A.A.S Aviation Operations (Community College of the Air Force) April 2008
B.A. in History (Thomas Edison State College) March 2009

"To achieve the possible we must attempt the impossible, to be as much as we can be then we must dream of being more."
Coolness!! I was really, really hoping those tests would count toward the area study. I probably should know this--but what exactly is LSU independent study?
LSU Independent Study, is basically self paced distance education courses. It is offered by LSU, however they only offer courses not degree programs. The cost is around $325(I can't recall off hand) for a 3 credit course. It's regionally accredited and allows alot of flexibility. There are also history ECE's that you can to complete the History concentration. It's all depends on how good of a test taker, and which you consider more "bang for the buck".

Here's the link:
LSU Independent and Distance Learning
A.A.S Aviation Operations (Community College of the Air Force) April 2008
B.A. in History (Thomas Edison State College) March 2009

"To achieve the possible we must attempt the impossible, to be as much as we can be then we must dream of being more."
peacfulchaos2001 Wrote:I am currently enrolled at TESC, for a BA History. I am not sure what test your friend was talkin about but the ones that I have took, as well as plan on taking, for history have counted toward my History concentration. American History I/II, Western Civilization I/II, Civil War & Reconstruction, Intro to Modern Middle East, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, and a few other count toward the History concentration.

Ditto. I'm also a history student there and had the same exams accepted for the history concentration. I will have to take two online courses from TESC, as there are not enough upper-level history tests to fulfill the requirements. One of the ones I've decided to is (War and American Society) is a 6-credit exam, so I only have to take that and one other one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,717 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,793 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,588 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 4,560 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Any spreadsheets for Associate's degrees? xjarhead1999 20 4,020 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Last Post: xjarhead1999
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,159 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Help In getting a Degree/Degrees former Navy Rustydroid 8 1,874 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,956 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore