Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Gen Ed: Oral Communication when DEAF
(11-11-2020, 01:34 PM)ashkir Wrote:
Quote:Thank you for contacting our office. The Dean and I discussed your situation.  She has approved the TECEP exam COM-210 Public Relations, Thought and Practice; COM-100 Communication Theory and COM-339 The Story of Human Language as substitutions to satisfy the oral communication requirement.  COM-100 and COM-339 are offered as online courses.  A note has been placed in your file indicating these substitutions.  Please be sure to work with an advisor in selecting courses appropriate for your degree.

So does anyone know of any alternatives to:
COM-100 Communication Theory
COM-339 The Story of Human Language

Edit:

nevermind. Both require freaken SPEAKING. How can TESU be this dense?

In your case, I would send an email requesting the speaking portion be removed. You have a valid medical reason and they must accommodate your disability. They have to make a reasonable accommodation which can be as simple as waving the speaking portion and having you submit the speech/presentation as a written paper instead. Maybe give them that suggestion so they don't come back with some other bizarre plan.
Quote:Thank you for contacting our office. The Dean and I discussed your situation.  She has approved the TECEP exam COM-210 Public Relations, Thought and Practice; COM-100 Communication Theory and COM-339 The Story of Human Language as substitutions to satisfy the oral communication requirement.  COM-100 and COM-339 are offered as online courses.  A note has been placed in your file indicating these substitutions.  Please be sure to work with an advisor in selecting courses appropriate for your degree.

Edit:

Seriously, I would avoid dealing with TESU at all for this, and work with the course providers instead.  They will be WAY easier to deal with here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-11-2020, 03:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Edit:

Seriously, I would avoid dealing with TESU at all for this, and work with the course providers instead.  They will be WAY easier to deal with here.
I am seriously considering just switching to WGU or COSC at this point I am almost at 90 credits outside of upper levels from DAVAR.

I did request them to remove it from my degree plan.

(11-11-2020, 02:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Edit:

In your case, I would send an email requesting the speaking portion be removed. You have a valid medical reason and they must accommodate your disability. They have to make a reasonable accommodation which can be as simple as waving the speaking portion and having you submit the speech/presentation as a written paper instead. Maybe give them that suggestion so they don't come back with some other bizarre plan.
Thank you! I requested they remove this from my degree plan in clear language.

I also went ahead and told them how all of their suggestions were bad choices, and how 2 of them violate the ADA accomondation.
If you're really thinking of changing to WGU, if you're on FB consider joining some of their groups. They have a ton of them and fellow students are very helpful with each other from what I see on there. WGU is all self contained so you won't have to go all over for courses. They have videos, but surely they have closed captioning available or a document containing the content. I think they would be really willing to work with you. Send me a PM if you want any links to the groups they have that I'm on. I'm considering them for grad school and wanted to see what it was like before applying. It's definitely a different platform than most schools and they seem well organized. They were built to be an online school so they have that aspect of things really together and they are fast at replying to inquiries in my experience.
Just FYI, you might have more issues getting set up with WGU. WGU apparently has an advisor call you weekly to check in. I'm guessing (but I'm not completely sure) that this is at least part of why they don't accept students who are outside of the US except for US military personnel.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-11-2020, 04:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Just FYI, you might have more issues getting set up with WGU. WGU apparently has an advisor call you weekly to check in. I'm guessing (but I'm not completely sure) that this is at least part of why they don't accept students who are outside of the US except for US military personnel.

I would assume WGU would have better ADA accomondations considering they're funded by the government of the Western States.
(11-11-2020, 04:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Just FYI, you might have more issues getting set up with WGU. WGU apparently has an advisor call you weekly to check in. I'm guessing (but I'm not completely sure) that this is at least part of why they don't accept students who are outside of the US except for US military personnel.

The weekly check in can be done via email. It does not have to be a phone call especially with someone who is hearing impaired. 

They don't accept students outside of the US due to internet connectivity issues.
TESU is refusing to budge on it, even the removal. The dean flat out said no they won't accept it. I am filing an official ADA complaint with the federal government. They are a university that receives public funding and they are required by title 8 titles ii and iii of ADA and other civil rights titles to provide these options.

In the meantime I am applying to UMPI their ADA coordinator seems on it!

Edit: LOL I told TESU I filed a complaint with the Department of Justice and gave them the complaint number... They insisted this entire oral communications requirement is a TYPO and are "reviewing"

LOL
It's a typo to have an ORAL communication requirement for every degree?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-12-2020, 02:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It's a typo to have an ORAL communication requirement for every degree?

Apparently? No idea what's going on with them right now. But, suddenly they started calling etc right after I told them I filed an ADA complaint. They suddenly want to make things work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,308 2 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 523 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 232 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 278 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27