Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Masters in Data Science
Hmm, If it was me, I would go for multiple options. I think there is at least some utility to Udacity's Nanodegrees. I would go for one of those and the certifications to cement my qualifications for application to WGU. Especially when I think there's a price error for their Data Scientist Nanoscience degree. The estimated time is 4 months, but they're charging for 3. All the other nanodegree programs are actually correct pricing.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-23-2019, 06:56 PM)akr680 Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 06:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 10:09 PM)akr680 Wrote: Thanks for the details. WGU is not flexible, they're not accepting certifications older than 5 years as well as computer courses. Therefore they're not accepting my Advanced Diploma in Computer application (2002) which has 30 credits. 

I would say that MOST schools won't take certs older than 5 years.  This is very common.

But they should accept a Regionally accredited Diploma at least. WGU IT degrees are based on certifications, What will happen after 5 years? The industry knows about this, don't they think this degree is outdated after 5 years.

Yes, they'll take courses from an RA school (or an NA school for that matter) towards non-computer courses.  So if you had an AA, they'd take it to fulfill your GE area courses.  But not for the computer-related courses.

Again, this is totally common.  Check out other schools - they have similar requirements for currency (recent-ness) of computer credits.  They also have similar requirements for science credits for nursing and pre-med degrees.  And my BSBA would only allow 9cr in the AOS (major) that were older than 10 years old - which has been changed since to have to be newer than 7 years old.

This is completely common across schools, majors, and different types of courses.

Here's one policy from TESU:

In the degree programs listed below, if professional credits are more than 10 years old, a Demonstration of Currency (DOC) is required: 

• Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology (BSAST)

• Associate in Science in Applied Science and Technology (ASAST)
For the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree and undergraduate business certificates, if area of study credits are more than 7 years old at the time of application to the University, a Demonstration of Currency (DOC) review may be required for those courses.  The BSBA capstone course, Strategic Management, has a currency limitation of no more than 5 years old in order to apply toward the Core requirement.   

More from TESU:

7. Demonstration of Currency (DOC)

As an adult learner, there may be instances where you have earned a professional credit or credential many years ago that is no longer up-to-date due to rapid advancements and changes within a particular industry, most notably, in business and technology. In this case, you may be able to transfer those credits by demonstrating your current knowledge in the subject area content of the course in question through a Demonstration of Currency. For example, if you took a course in C++ Programming in 1995 at a regionally accredited institution, it may not transfer as the course COS-213: C++ Programming required in the bachelor's degree in information technology because it exceeds the 10-year limit on technical courses. However, if you can demonstrate that you have a solid foundation of C++ and that you write, compile and run programs today using the language, you may be able to validate that knowledge and earn credit for it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • akr680
(05-23-2019, 11:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, If it was me, I would go for multiple options.  I think there is at least some utility to Udacity's Nanodegrees.  I would go for one of those and the certifications to cement my qualifications for application to WGU.   Especially when I think there's a price error for their Data Scientist Nanoscience degree.  The estimated time is 4 months, but they're charging for 3.   All the other nanodegree programs are actually correct pricing.

it looks to me like the data scientist nanaodegree has two options 
1: intro to machine learning --- estimated time 3 months  --- $1077 3 MONTHS PRE-PAID PLAN
2: data scientist (they seem to also be calling this Applied Data Science) --- estimated time 4 months --- $1436 4 MONTHS PRE-PAID PLAN 

https://www.udacity.com/course/data-scie...ree--nd025
(05-24-2019, 12:17 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 06:56 PM)akr680 Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 06:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 10:09 PM)akr680 Wrote: Thanks for the details. WGU is not flexible, they're not accepting certifications older than 5 years as well as computer courses. Therefore they're not accepting my Advanced Diploma in Computer application (2002) which has 30 credits. 

I would say that MOST schools won't take certs older than 5 years.  This is very common.

But they should accept a Regionally accredited Diploma at least. WGU IT degrees are based on certifications, What will happen after 5 years? The industry knows about this, don't they think this degree is outdated after 5 years.

Yes, they'll take courses from an RA school (or an NA school for that matter) towards non-computer courses.  So if you had an AA, they'd take it to fulfill your GE area courses.  But not for the computer-related courses.

Again, this is totally common.  Check out other schools - they have similar requirements for currency (recent-ness) of computer credits.  They also have similar requirements for science credits for nursing and pre-med degrees.  And my BSBA would only allow 9cr in the AOS (major) that were older than 10 years old - which has been changed since to have to be newer than 7 years old.

This is completely common across schools, majors, and different types of courses.

Here's one policy from TESU:

In the degree programs listed below, if professional credits are more than 10 years old, a Demonstration of Currency (DOC) is required: 
  • Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology (BSAST)

• Associate in Science in Applied Science and Technology (ASAST)
For the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree and undergraduate business certificates, if area of study credits are more than 7 years old at the time of application to the University, a Demonstration of Currency (DOC) review may be required for those courses.  The BSBA capstone course, Strategic Management, has a currency limitation of no more than 5 years old in order to apply toward the Core requirement.   

More from TESU:

7. Demonstration of Currency (DOC)

As an adult learner, there may be instances where you have earned a professional credit or credential many years ago that is no longer up-to-date due to rapid advancements and changes within a particular industry, most notably, in business and technology. In this case, you may be able to transfer those credits by demonstrating your current knowledge in the subject area content of the course in question through a Demonstration of Currency. For example, if you took a course in C++ Programming in 1995 at a regionally accredited institution, it may not transfer as the course COS-213: C++ Programming required in the bachelor's degree in information technology because it exceeds the 10-year limit on technical courses. However, if you can demonstrate that you have a solid foundation of C++ and that you write, compile and run programs today using the language, you may be able to validate that knowledge and earn credit for it.

Thanks for the detailed information.
------------------

(05-23-2019, 11:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, If it was me, I would go for multiple options.  I think there is at least some utility to Udacity's Nanodegrees.  I would go for one of those and the certifications to cement my qualifications for application to WGU.   Especially when I think there's a price error for their Data Scientist Nanoscience degree.  The estimated time is 4 months, but they're charging for 3.   All the other nanodegree programs are actually correct pricing.

WGU admissions is non-competitive. All you need is one thing. I'd quickly knock out the Oracle SQL certification and be done with it. An MS in Data Analytics from an accredited school will make a nanodegree nearly worthless. There's no need to spend $400 per month for four months to earn the nanodegree. The Oracle certification is only $245.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • akr680
(05-24-2019, 06:38 AM)sanantone Wrote: ......

>  I'd quickly knock out the Oracle SQL certification

ha ha ha , how much experience do you have with Oracle ? 

> There's no need to spend $400 per month for four months to earn the nanodegree. 

if it takes you 4 months to complete the nanodegree then you aren't prepared for the Masters program 
you should already know enough statistics and python before starting the Masters program that the nanodegree takes no more than 2 months tops
(05-24-2019, 11:38 AM)bluebooger Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 06:38 AM)sanantone Wrote: ......

>  I'd quickly knock out the Oracle SQL certification

ha ha ha , how much experience do you have with Oracle ? 

> There's no need to spend $400 per month for four months to earn the nanodegree. 

if it takes you 4 months to complete the nanodegree then you aren't prepared for the Masters program 
you should already know enough statistics and python before starting the Masters program that the nanodegree takes no more than 2 months tops
You don't need to spend $800 to score 63% on a certification test.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-22-2019, 04:44 PM)joeguida Wrote: So if I can't use the same courses, I'll probably just get the BA in Computer Science. If I do that, and than just take the statistics.com courses listed on the MS Data Science page, I would then only have to take the capstone right?

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. I've completed all the Statistics.com courses required for the BS in Data Science and Analytics, and I only have a few credits remaining to obtain the degree. But, like you said, if the Statistic.com courses are exactly the same for the BS and MS degrees (which I believe they are, since they have the same names and Statistic.com only has one option for each of these courses), and I wouldn't be able to re-use them for the Master's, then I might just get the credits that I need for the BACS and "save" the Statistic.com courses for later.

I've asked TESU about this but I've received a non-answer, and I can't find any information regarding whether the courses like Predictive Analytics 1, 2, and 3 are the same in both the BS and MS programs. Is anyone currently enrolled in the Master's program that can validate this information?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Charca's post:
  • akr680
(05-26-2019, 09:27 AM)Charca Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 04:44 PM)joeguida Wrote: So if I can't use the same courses, I'll probably just get the BA in Computer Science. If I do that, and than just take the statistics.com courses listed on the MS Data Science page, I would then only have to take the capstone right?

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. I've completed all the Statistics.com courses required for the BS in Data Science and Analytics, and I only have a few credits remaining to obtain the degree. But, like you said, if the Statistic.com courses are exactly the same for the BS and MS degrees (which I believe they are, since they have the same names and Statistic.com only has one option for each of these courses), and I wouldn't be able to re-use them for the Master's, then I might just get the credits that I need for the BACS and "save" the Statistic.com courses for later.

I've asked TESU about this but I've received a non-answer, and I can't find any information regarding whether the courses like Predictive Analytics 1, 2, and 3 are the same in both the BS and MS programs. Is anyone currently enrolled in the Master's program that can validate this information?
https://www.statistics.com/degrees/tesu-ms/#faq

I am a TESU student in the Bachelors Program in Data Science Analytics - the course topics are similar to those in the Master’s Program.  Can I get credit for those? Students can take the graduate version of Predictive Analytics 1, 2, 3 (DSI-601/602/603 or DSI-604/605/606) and Forecasting (DSI-510) at the end of their undergraduate degree program; paying the undergraduate tuition rate. If approved for entry into the grad program, students will then have already taken 12 of the necessary 36 credits needed to earn an MS degree – saving both time and money.  https://www.tesu.edu/academics/bachelors...rs-program
------------------

(05-26-2019, 12:48 PM)akr680 Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 09:27 AM)Charca Wrote:

https://www.statistics.com/degrees/tesu-ms/#faq

I am a TESU student in the Bachelors Program in Data Science Analytics - the course topics are similar to those in the Master’s Program.  Can I get credit for those? Students can take the graduate version of Predictive Analytics 1, 2, 3 (DSI-601/602/603 or DSI-604/605/606) and Forecasting (DSI-510) at the end of their undergraduate degree program; paying the undergraduate tuition rate. If approved for entry into the grad program, students will then have already taken 12 of the necessary 36 credits needed to earn an MS degree – saving both time and money.  https://www.tesu.edu/academics/bachelors...rs-program

Thank you for pointing me to that resource, akr680. This is consistent with the information I received from TESU, in that their Bachelor's to Master's Program allows you to transfer 4 of the courses you completed for the BS to the MS.

But I've taken 9 courses at Statistics.com that are part of both the BS and MS degrees, so it looks like if I go that route, I would have to re-take the other 5 courses.

My question was (and I assume joeguida was wondering the same thing), if I change my Bachelor's program to TESU's BACS instead of Data Science and Analytics, would I be able to apply all of the 9 courses I've taken through Statistics.com to the Data Science MS?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Charca's post:
  • akr680

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,542 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 605 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 499 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 521 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 340 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,323 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 248 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 399 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 438 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az