Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The FUNNIEST thing happened to me...RE: Charter Oak's Credential Evaluation Program
So....

I'm just going to cut and paste my emails:

Email 1: (From me)

Dear @@@@@,

I hope this email finds you doing well.

I have submitted an application to Charter Oak for admission into the BA program. I note on the website that COSC offers a service for credential evaluation. I don't see that my particular credential (certified paralegal/certified legal assistant) has been previously evaluated on the website.

I am providing a link to Wikipedia regarding the certification exam just to see if you think it is worth it to request evaluation of my credential: Certified Paralegal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The certified paralegal exam called (CLA exam or CP exam) is administered by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA). They are a professional organization that was established in 1976 and they have been offering this exam which is well-known in the legal field for many years now. There is a 45-50% passrate for first timers taking this exam.

If you think it is worth submitting an application, could you please tell me what the process is for doing so?

Please advise.

Thank you!
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Email 2: (From COSC)

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Is this the credential you are inquiring about?

[Image: 1499618_10151985918478046_1602161830_n.jpg]

If so, you will need to have an official verification letter or transcript sent directly to us. It will probably be in your best interests to wait until you have matriculated at Charter Oak to do so, as the procedure and fees involved are different for matriculated students than for those using the Credit Registry. Please be sure to discuss this with your Admissions representative and then your Academic Counselor as you proceed through the Admissions and enrollment process.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Email 3: (From me)

Dear @@@@,

After recovering from how stunned I am, yes that's the exam I'm talking about. I apologize. I did not see that on the website. After I have matriculated, NALA would then submit the transcript at which point I could have an additional evaluation completed to see where I stand at that point? Obviously, my initial evaluation would only take into account my current transcripts so I would need to have another evaluation after this, I presume. Thank you!

Signed,

Dumbfounded

So basically my point is, Charter Oak gives credential evaluation credit for Certified Paralegals by NALA.

I think this was the fastest 32 credit I've ever earned. [Image: smiley-vault-misc-075.gif]
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Between this new 32 credits and the 30 credits I found out ACE gives for the DLPT...I am looking at about 185 credits after everything washes. I now have no idea what concentration I should go for but I'll figure it all out.

And don't they have a Paralegal Studies major? That's so awesome, good for you!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Nice! And I would work out a "dual" concentration if I where you. This would entail 18 UL in a primary concentration (remember the Capstone will give you 3 of those) and 36 overall credits in that primary concentration (upper ond lower level combined within the same concentration). Your second concentration would only have to be 9 UL with I believe 18 credits overall. This would provide 3 UL "elective" credits.

Your nearly done it looks like! (how about the gen eds?).

I would consider Organizational Leadership/Paralegal Studies as a combo.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Or Persian Farsi and Paralegal Studies as a combo. Smile
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Great method Soliloquy! My friend Nick has an NBR RRT cert which TESC will evaluate for 42 credits toward a BSAST, but he really wanted to pursue a COSC Health Science concentration. However, over the phone with COSC, he was told he would only get 12 free elective credits. He then wrote officially to COSC and EC to ask whether they would accept TESC's Credit Bank transcript for all of his RRT potential credits. He never received a reply from either institution. I don't know if your method would work for the RRT cert at COSC but TESC credit bank sure didn't.
All of my general eds are finished. In fact, the Ethics in America DSST I was going to have to take to meet COSC requirements will be fulfilled by the Ethics portion of the exam I had to take for my CP credential. My admissions adviser said it will be interesting to see what's left after everything comes in. He doesn't think there will be much left to do. I am hoping to get as much out of my transcripts as possible! If I can squeeze two degrees out with a little bit of work I'm all for that as well.

NALA sent my transcript out today so I'm super excited about this.

JohnnyHeck Wrote:Great method Soliloquy! My friend Nick has an NBR RRT cert which TESC will evaluate for 42 credits toward a BSAST, but he really wanted to pursue a COSC Health Science concentration. However, over the phone with COSC, he was told he would only get 12 free elective credits. He then wrote officially to COSC and EC to ask whether they would accept TESC's Credit Bank transcript for all of his RRT potential credits. He never received a reply from either institution. I don't know if your method would work for the RRT cert at COSC but TESC credit bank sure didn't.

I would definitely encourage your friend to give it a try. If he wants the contact information I used, send me a PM and I'll send you the email address I used to contact the program evaluation person. It is also on the COSC website.

I was just trying to figure out a way to justify that to the faculty there. How can I reasonably blend those two disciplines?

soliloquy Wrote:I would definitely encourage your friend to give it a try. If he wants the contact information I used, send me a PM and I'll send you the email address I used to contact the program evaluation person. It is also on the COSC website.

Unfortunately, my friend has already enrolled at TESC. so it would not be cost effective now. But thanks for the personal response.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies badooble 42 14,643 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,696 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,098 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Have the audits for September graduation (TESU) happened yet? leland.kirk 6 1,979 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BS LDAS - What happened to it? Lewis.Yim 1 1,297 08-11-2018, 12:24 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  California teaching credential w/ a test-out degree 12save 3 1,588 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Last Post: kevinmane
  What happened to the wiki? jamshid666 18 4,069 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,645 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,748 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore