Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on how to get 70+ on clep chemistry?
(08-14-2018, 04:07 PM)sicdrag Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 12:02 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:53 PM)Lecpot Wrote:
cookderosa Wrote:What is the score requirement for AP?  I think it would be MUCH easier to get a 4 on the AP than a 70 on this CLEP.  Anything beyond 60 is really just playing trivial pursuit.  Also, it's not unusual for a college that accepts a score of 50 to also award 8 credits.

Edit to add, I can't stop thinking about your question.   You won't find people on this board who have scored a 70 on that exam.  It just isn't happening.  The pass rate on that exam is very low anyway, only around 1/3 pass with a 50.  (you've already hit that benchmark - congratulations!)  Maybe they've set it as a 70 on accident?  Perhaps they mean 70% and someone goofed when they entered it into the computer (a 70% would = 50 scaled score = passing) but maybe the college just doesn't want to give away $tuition x 8?  Also a possibility.   Do they have unreachable thresholds for their other CLEPs too?  College Board puts out a chart that shows "B" grade levels (unofficially) and Chemistry's is 65.  So, seriously, I think you need an alternative plan.

Hello, I don't know the AP score requirement in my university and the problem is AP is held in May only but I need to graduate in August, so I think taking AP instead is more unrealistic for me right now. I believe they set the cutoff correctly, it's a 70+ for every clep science exams if students want to get 8 credit hours.
Just out of curiosity... what happened?

I'm not OP, but my school has a similar policy of requiring 70+ in order to get all 6 lecture credits and 2 lab credits for chemistry. (You get 4 credits for 60+)

I just took the test (today) and got a score of 78. So it is definitely possible to do it! I saw this thread when I first started studying so I figured I'd give some encouragement to anyone in the future who comes across it. For reference, I took roughly one semesters worth of intro chem in high school (not that I remembered much of it). The rest was self study (I'd say approximately 60-70 hours worth)

I suspect the exam has gotten slightly easier since a lot of the posters took it (at least based on the pass rates going slightly up). But no doubt, it is still quite a difficult exam and should not be underestimated, particularly if you need a 70+.
Could you let us know your strategy? Study hours per day? Resources? How many months?
What is your take on Modern States Chemistry prep? Sorry for all the questions at once.
cookderosa Wrote:What is the score requirement for AP?  I think it would be MUCH easier to get a 4 on the AP than a 70 on this CLEP.  Anything beyond 60 is really just playing trivial pursuit.  Also, it's not unusual for a college that accepts a score of 50 to also award 8 credits.

Edit to add, I can't stop thinking about your question.   You won't find people on this board who have scored a 70 on that exam.  It just isn't happening.  The pass rate on that exam is very low anyway, only around 1/3 pass with a 50.  (you've already hit that benchmark - congratulations!)  Maybe they've set it as a 70 on accident?  Perhaps they mean 70% and someone goofed when they entered it into the computer (a 70% would = 50 scaled score = passing) but maybe the college just doesn't want to give away $tuition x 8?  Also a possibility.   Do they have unreachable thresholds for their other CLEPs too?  College Board puts out a chart that shows "B" grade levels (unofficially) and Chemistry's is 65.  So, seriously, I think you need an alternative plan.

Hello, I don't know the AP score requirement in my university and the problem is AP is held in May only but I need to graduate in August, so I think taking AP instead is more unrealistic for me right now. I believe they set the cutoff correctly, it's a 70+ for every clep science exams if students want to get 8 credit hours.

I'm not OP, but my school has a similar policy of requiring 70+ in order to get all 6 lecture credits and 2 lab credits for chemistry. (You get 4 credits for 60+)

I just took the test (today) and got a score of 78. So it is definitely possible to do it! I saw this thread when I first started studying so I figured I'd give some encouragement to anyone in the future who comes across it. For reference, I took roughly one semesters worth of intro chem in high school (not that I remembered much of it). The rest was self study (I'd say approximately 60-70 hours worth)

I suspect the exam has gotten slightly easier since a lot of the posters took it (at least based on the pass rates going slightly up). But no doubt, it is still quite a difficult exam and should not be underestimated, particularly if you need a 70+.

holy crap - wow. That's almost a perfect score. You seriously have only taken 1 semester of high school chem prior? Nothing college level? What about other sciences like bio or physics? I'm seriously impressed. I didn't take chem in high school, so before even thinking about General Chem at the college level I took Intro Chem w/lab (did well, scored an A) but it was hard enough that I took the MCAT off my calendar and replaced it with the HESI (almost a perfect score) so I don't think I'm an idiot, but you are seriously amazing!!

Per my prior suggestion, any interest in taking the chemistry GRE? I think Charter Oak stilll allows that to fill an entire major with a high enough score. Wayyyy back in the archives, it wasn't that unusual for members here to use the GRE at Charter Oak for their major. Just musing....

Edit myself to say - yep, it's still worth 24 credits if you can hit 40% https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...m-list.pdf

And for fun:
Additionally, this is how they break down the Chemistry GRE;

A concentration designated as Chemistry may be established in one of two ways:
Option 1. A minimum of 39 credits, at the appropriate levels, in the following subjects:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Introductory Chemistry with laboratory[/TD]
[TD]8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Organic Chemistry with laboratory (not upper level credits)[/TD]
[TD]8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Inorganic Chemistry with/without laboratory[/TD]
[TD]3-4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Physical Chemistry with/without laboratory[/TD]
[TD]3-4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Instrumental Analysis[/TD]
[TD]4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Calculus[/TD]
[TD]6-8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Physics[/TD]
[TD]4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Capstone[/TD]
[TD]3cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

At least one upper level course in addition to instrumentation must include a laboratory (physical, inorganic, advanced organic or biochemistry).
Option 2. The GRE Subject Test in Chemistry evaluated at 24 credits (15 lower, 9 upper), plus at least 12 additional credits. Because the GRE does not include any laboratory component, students who use this option are required to complete two upper level laboratory courses; at least one of the these should be a laboratory course in instrumentation unless the student meets this outcome through job experience, plus 3 credit capstone.
(08-14-2018, 04:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

holy crap - wow.  That's almost a perfect score.  You seriously have only taken 1 semester of high school chem prior?  Nothing college level?  What about other sciences like bio or physics?  I'm seriously impressed.  I didn't take chem in high school, so before even thinking about General Chem at the college level I took Intro Chem w/lab (did well, scored an A) but it was hard enough that I took the MCAT off my calendar and replaced it with the HESI (almost a perfect score) so I don't think I'm an idiot, but you are seriously amazing!!

Per my prior suggestion, any interest in taking the chemistry GRE?  I think Charter Oak stilll allows that to fill an entire major with a high enough score.  Wayyyy back in the archives, it wasn't that unusual for members here to use the GRE at Charter Oak for their major.  Just musing....

Edit myself to say - yep, it's still worth 24 credits if you can hit 40% https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...m-list.pdf

And for fun:

Option 1. A minimum of 39 credits, at the appropriate levels, in the following subjects:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3-4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3-4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Calculus[/TD]
[TD]6-8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Physics[/TD]
[TD]4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Capstone[/TD]
[TD]3cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

At least one upper level course in addition to instrumentation must include a laboratory (physical, inorganic, advanced organic or biochemistry).
Option 2. The GRE Subject Test in Chemistry evaluated at 24 credits (15 lower, 9 upper), plus at least 12 additional credits. Because the GRE does not include any laboratory component, students who use this option are required to complete two upper level laboratory courses; at least one of the these should be a laboratory course in instrumentation unless the student meets this outcome through job experience, plus 3 credit capstone.

This is amazing information. I hope someone takes advantage of this. Way better than going into debt.
Are you applying to med school? I MIGHT be looking at that in the future. I've discovered that there are actually medical schools that accept CLEP in the sciences over on the student doctor forums.
(08-14-2018, 04:11 PM)MNomadic Wrote: A 78 on chemistry is impressive! Good job! Not something one can accomplish by just reviewing a few videos and flashcards. Do you mind sharing what methods you used?

Thanks!

Quick disclaimer: I had a few advantages going in, mainly that I had a vague recollection of at least some of the basics from high school that just had to be refreshed and that I am very good at math (I am a math major that is about to graduate -- so none of the algebraic calculations posed any challenge. If you are less good at algebra, then this is a very important thing to get good at or at least comfortable with, as those problems tend to actually be the most gimme points on this exam -- that's why it is so hard.). This was my plan:

Skim Chemistry:Concepts and Problems. Work a few of the problems as I went, but not a concerted effort to answer all of them. I think I would have worked all of them if I was new to chemistry or if I didn't do well in basic intro chem in high school.

Skim REA (I used a 2008 version -- not sure if the new one would have been better or not). I didn't work any of the problems or memorize anything just yet.

Open book practice exams (I used REA, the sample problems on college board, the sample test in clep guide). First, attempt problem with no resources at all. Make educated guess/intuitive guess if no idea. Next, look up any necessary facts/numbers/formulae that I hadn't yet memorized. Try again with those in hand. If I still couldn't do it, I would try looking at some worked problems either in REA or online that were similar.

Obviously, this is very hard at the start. I think I did the first practice exam in REA and got like 10 of the questions without looking anything up, then 20-30 with looking up some minor details. The rest I either still didn't get or had to find someone doing like exactly the same problem type before I could find the right answer. Or I could find the answer but I had no real intuition yet for why it was right.

I did 2 or 3 of these open book tests. Then I started on round 1 of memorization. I started with the easiest ones that appear the most often (ideal gas laws, common cations and anions, periodic trends, entropy/enthalpy/free energy/spontaneity formulas, solubility rules, acids/bases types and properties, probably a few others as well).

Next up, more practice tests. These I did mostly closed book. I would still look up stuff that i hadn't gotten to yet or forgot. But no looking up sample work or anything more than a definition or formula or whatever. Again, this was very hard at first. I probably got about 40% ish right under these conditions.

After doing a bunch of these, I had a pretty good idea for what concepts I just completely didn't get at all yet. For these, I took to youtube to find some actual instructional content. Electrochemistry, thermodynamics, nuclear chemistry, some aspects of molecular structure (VSEPR, types of bonds, etc.). It might be possible to brute force memorize some of this -- but I always prefer to understand if I can. Khan Academy is of course excellent for this stuff (look at their AP chemistry course and possibly the organic chemistry one).

Then I went back to practice exams. At this point, I had mostly exhausted an easy supply of CLEP chemistry practice exams. So I started doing practice AP exams (this is quite easy to find on google). I've taken a few APs before and a few CLEPs, so I generally assume that CLEP will put a much greater emphasis on memorization and much less on synthesis. The AP questions are a good way to check understanding, but a lot of them you are very unlikely to find asked on the CLEP.

Finally, last round of memorization. All the organic chemistry stuff (generally speaking this is limited to identifying a few functional groups -- but there is a chance they ask you more complicated stuff like naming them or asking about some properties), the complete details of all the VSEPR stuff, various experimental chemistry stuff like colors of compounds and lab procedures etc. (I only did a few basic labs in high school, so all these questions I didn't really know anything about. It largely just has to be memorized).

In hindsight after taking the test, I think I focused a little bit more on understanding than I needed to. And memorized less things than necessary. I was shocked by the number of pure "gotcha" did you memorize this obscure fact or not questions on my exam. Like all kinds of wacky constants came up and were not given -- there were at least 4 questions about colors of compounds, etc.

All of this stuff is of course my own personal learning style and your mileage may vary. I've done a lot of self-study for exams in the past (including some that are arguably harder than this. Actuarial exams are just brutal), and I know what works for me. I'd like to think that it would work for a lot of people, but it's possible that it won't.
[-] The following 3 users Like sicdrag's post:
  • cookderosa, MNomadic, sirjake
Thank you for that comprehensive explanation of your study methods. I found it very helpful and I'm sure many others will.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • indigoshuffle

holy crap - wow.  That's almost a perfect score.  You seriously have only taken 1 semester of high school chem prior?  Nothing college level?  What about other sciences like bio or physics?  I'm seriously impressed.  I didn't take chem in high school, so before even thinking about General Chem at the college level I took Intro Chem w/lab (did well, scored an A) but it was hard enough that I took the MCAT off my calendar and replaced it with the HESI (almost a perfect score) so I don't think I'm an idiot, but you are seriously amazing!!

Per my prior suggestion, any interest in taking the chemistry GRE?  I think Charter Oak stilll allows that to fill an entire major with a high enough score.  Wayyyy back in the archives, it wasn't that unusual for members here to use the GRE at Charter Oak for their major.  Just musing....

My science background is this: 1 semester of high school chemistry, 2 semesters of intro high school biology (not at all relevant), AP environmental science (self study -- I guess it was very slightly relevant to this exam), 1 semester of highly non-technical college elective (it was class about fossils and evolution).

I do have a very comprehensive math background though.

Re: the GRE chemistry. I don't know. I doubt that I will do anything at all related to sciences. And I'm so close to a traditional degree that I don't know if it's even worth the trouble to try to get the lab credits necessary.
(08-14-2018, 05:10 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Thank you for that comprehensive explanation of your study methods. I found it very helpful and I'm sure many others will.

thanks!
That was pretty amazing and interesting you scored such an awesome score with a few high school courses and so as prerequisites to that course. Hmm, what is the "cutoff" score for the 40th percentile and how do they calculate that? I think the subject GRE test is a viable way to test out the entire area of study at COSC for whatever GRE exams there are. It's just an amazing resource but only one school that allows it.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-14-2018, 04:49 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:53 PM)Lecpot Wrote: Hello, I don't know the AP score requirement in my university and the problem is AP is held in May only but I need to graduate in August, so I think taking AP instead is more unrealistic for me right now. I believe they set the cutoff correctly, it's a 70+ for every clep science exams if students want to get 8 credit hours.

And for fun:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3-4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3-4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Calculus[/TD]
[TD]6-8cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Physics[/TD]
[TD]4cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Capstone[/TD]
[TD]3cr[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

This is amazing information. I hope someone takes advantage of this. Way better than going into debt.
Are you applying to med school? I MIGHT be looking at that in the future. I've discovered that there are actually medical schools that accept CLEP in the sciences over on the student doctor forums.

No- I used my sciences to meet the entrance requirements of my nutrition grad program. The reason CLEP doesn't generally meet CLEP requirements is the same reason AP doesn't (which is to say that they both sometimes can) is because they lack lab credit. A handful of colleges give you 8's for a good score- which can count (at least on paper) as lab credit. Most of the time you'll see 6's for CLEP Bio or Chem. (no lab)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 27,921 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tips on How to Get Straight A’s in College LevelUP 19 4,066 05-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 483 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Anyone Have Any Tips for Searching for College News? LevelUP 0 417 12-19-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Chemistry Course YehudisS 16 1,503 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: YehudisS
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,846 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,314 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  5 Interviewing Tips From an Amazon Applicant Who Jeff Bezos Hired on the Spot LevelUP 4 975 03-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone