Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Lab Science requirement equivalent
After looking at the GEC UMPI requirements more and Jessica's email further, I understand the requirements and what he has to take.

For category 3 A-E, the student has to meet the Quantity and Scientific requirement. The breakdown for him would be:

Learning Objective A/B: Math/Quantitative - Take MAT 140 Mathematics for Business 3 cr at UMPI. Meets both GEC and Business Math/Quantitative requirement.

Learning Objective C "demonstrate the ability to be consumers of biological and other scientific information" and E "scientific inquiry including aspects of the scientific method, such as observation, hypothesis, experiment, evaluation, and communication" (all look like a lab class at 4 credits) Take BIO101L at SDC, BIO181 or BIO201 Human Anat and Physio. I at ASU Online, or BIO107 Human Anatomy and Physiology I at Eastern Gateway Community College (local CC in OH). He would need to take a Biology class to meet both the 3C and 3E requirement with *one* more Science class.

If he wants to take another Science class, he wouldn't need to take Biology. He met the 3D requirement with Weather at YSU = to ENV120 Meteorology at UMPI.

Education Seeker
(07-20-2022, 05:20 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: I am wondering if anyone has experience transferring BIO 100 The Living World from ASU online to UMPI for the Lab Science requirement category 3C? I know that many recommend Study.com BIO101L, but, my son prefers non-proctored classes and it looks like this ASU class has a lab and would satisfy that requirement?

My husband emailed with Jessica and she confirmed Bio 100 The Living World from ASU online would count for a Bio w/lab course at UMPI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes christinadq's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-16-2022, 08:44 AM)christinadq Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 05:20 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: I am wondering if anyone has experience transferring BIO 100 The Living World from ASU online to UMPI for the Lab Science requirement category 3C? I know that many recommend Study.com BIO101L, but, my son prefers non-proctored classes and it looks like this ASU class has a lab and would satisfy that requirement?

My husband emailed with Jessica and she confirmed Bio 100 The Living World from ASU online would count for a Bio w/lab course at UMPI.

That's a great option for those who are looking at starting with RA credits that are graded. For those who don't need RA or graded, then Study.com is recommended.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
BIO100 from ASU is also great for people who don't want to deal with the hassle of proctoring. Even if you don't mind proctoring, not everyone has an internet connection that can deal with even RPNow.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
Quick question, BIO100 currently doesn't have a start date on the ASU Universal Learner website. Does some of these courses run on a specific schedule throughout the academic year?

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/the-living-world-bio-100/
(08-16-2022, 12:42 PM)Samus477 Wrote: Quick question, BIO100 currently doesn't have a start date on the ASU Universal Learner website. Does some of these courses run on a specific schedule throughout the academic year?

This was the answer to a question about start dates earlier today when my husband emailed them:

"There were some technical issues with that course so they removed it from the dashboard for Fall to get those issues fixed before they rerelease it.  I'm not sure how soon it will be fixed but my guess is the next instructor led course will be available in the Spring.  Hopefully the self paced version will be offered sooner though."
(08-16-2022, 12:51 PM)christinadq Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 12:42 PM)Samus477 Wrote: Quick question, BIO100 currently doesn't have a start date on the ASU Universal Learner website. Does some of these courses run on a specific schedule throughout the academic year?

This was the answer to a question about start dates earlier today when my husband emailed them:

"There were some technical issues with that course so they removed it from the dashboard for Fall to get those issues fixed before they rerelease it.  I'm not sure how soon it will be fixed but my guess is the next instructor led course will be available in the Spring.  Hopefully the self paced version will be offered sooner though."
@Christinadq

Thank you for the update. I did not think that BIO100 was accepted for the Bio Lab Science UMPI course requirement so this is good to know. I will keep in touch with ASU online. Who or what dept. did you contact at ASU? If you find out when the self paced version is offered, can you please post it on Degree Forum? My son is either looking at BIO100, a free Anatomy and Physiology I course at a local community course, or the SDC BIO100L lab course.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
(08-16-2022, 10:18 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:

@Christinadq

Thank you for the update. I did not think that BIO100 was accepted for the Bio Lab Science UMPI course requirement so this is good to know. I will keep in touch with ASU online. Who or what dept. did you contact at ASU? If you find out when the self paced version is offered, can you please post it on Degree Forum? My son is either looking at BIO100, a free Anatomy and Physiology I course at a local community course, or the SDC BIO100L lab course.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
He used the online chat on the ASU logged in student page to inquire why he couldn't sign up for the course, which ended up going to an email system when they weren't available on chat.  I don't know the person who replied but he got a response in about two hours or so.  He's asked me to keep an eye on the course and sign him up when available.  I will post if/when it opens up.

But Jessica emailed back and said "yes it does!" when he emailed her about the course transferring as a lab science.
Just following up on this and letting know that the ASU BIO100 course has a posted start date of Jan 10, 2023. https://ea.asu.edu/courses/the-living-world-bio-100/ , good alternative for anyone who prefers a BIO class + Lab without test/proctor.
(08-16-2022, 10:20 PM)christinadq Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 10:18 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:

@Christinadq

Thanks,

Education Seeker
He used the online chat on the ASU logged in student page to inquire why he couldn't sign up for the course, which ended up going to an email system when they weren't available on chat.  I don't know the person who replied but he got a response in about two hours or so.  He's asked me to keep an eye on the course and sign him up when available.  I will post if/when it opens up.

But Jessica emailed back and said "yes it does!" when he emailed her about the course transferring as a lab science.

If this was already mentioned, I apologize, but, it looks like the next start date for Online Biology BIO 100 The Living World at ASU is Jan 10, 2023.

EducationSeeker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 4 173 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 111 Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 241 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 260 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 2 124 04-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,487 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,428 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 466 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 345 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 314 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP