Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI YourPace ACE (Sophia) Transcript Results
I agree that UMPI is going to be as popular as WGU. Do you know if someone can get federal financial aid for YourPace? That would need to be the case for it to be as popular.

Does UMPI take NCCRS?

I've also created a VERY basic page on UMPI itself on the wiki. With how many transfers they accept and how affordable they can be, this is looking like a better option than even COSC for the degrees that UMPI offers.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • crotique, ss20ts
(12-17-2020, 02:57 PM)Ideas Wrote: I agree that UMPI is going to be as popular as WGU. Do you know if someone can get federal financial aid for YourPace? That would need to be the case for it to be as popular.

Does UMPI take NCCRS?

I don't think UMPI will be as popular as WGU. First, they offer far fewer degrees. Second, they don't advertise. WGU HEAVILY advertises. I get TONS of Facebook ads for them and ads on a variety of websites for them. 

Yes, UMPI accepts financial aid. They do NOT accept NCCRS.
(12-17-2020, 03:21 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I don't think UMPI will be as popular as WGU. First, they offer far fewer degrees. Second, they don't advertise. WGU HEAVILY advertises. I get TONS of Facebook ads for them and ads on a variety of websites for them. 

Yes, UMPI accepts financial aid. They do NOT accept NCCRS.

Thanks.

I mean as popular for degreeforum members and similar, given time.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • rachel83az
I'm kind of wondering why some people are pushing the competency-based thing so hard lately. I honestly don't understand it. I mean, I definitely understand the cost-factor; but especially for newbies, that's not a great thing to tell them right off the bat. People need to understand the downside of it too, and all anyone says are the upsides. If a new person to the forum hasn't proven to be able to finish even 1 course quickly, how in the world can you in good conscience encourage someone to sign up for CB??
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-17-2020, 03:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm kind of wondering why some people are pushing the competency-based thing so hard lately.  I honestly don't understand it.  I mean, I definitely understand the cost-factor; but especially for newbies, that's not a great thing to tell them right off the bat.  People need to understand the downside of it too, and all anyone says are the upsides.  If a new person to the forum hasn't proven to be able to finish even 1 course quickly, how in the world can you in good conscience encourage someone to sign up for CB??

I didn't think I would be good at a CBE program. Then I took some Sophia courses and discovered I could do it. I set a schedule which I work hard at maintaining. My goal is to get done ASAP which means I make sacrifices such as no vacations. Not a problem with COVID! LOL CBE is definitely not for everyone, but for many people it works well. Why do you think over 45,000 people have graduated from WGU?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(12-17-2020, 03:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm kind of wondering why some people are pushing the competency-based thing so hard lately. I honestly don't understand it. I mean, I definitely understand the cost-factor; but especially for newbies, that's not a great thing to tell them right off the bat. People need to understand the downside of it too, and all anyone says are the upsides. If a new person to the forum hasn't proven to be able to finish even 1 course quickly, how in the world can you in good conscience encourage someone to sign up for CB??

I don't think anyone is advising anyone else with zero credits to immediately hop on a competency-based degree. But people do need to know their options. If it takes you a whole year to finish 30 credits at UMPI after completing Sophia, that's $8400 and still possibly cheaper than at least TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
(12-17-2020, 02:57 PM)Ideas Wrote: I agree that UMPI is going to be as popular as WGU. Do you know if someone can get federal financial aid for YourPace? That would need to be the case for it to be as popular.

Does UMPI take NCCRS?
I attend umpi your pace and I get federal financial aid. I am lucky I did not have to pay anything and they sent me a check for 99 dollars because I had extra pell grant left over. They offered me student loans but I did not take them.
[-] The following 3 users Like missbootyfull's post:
  • crotique, Ideas, rachel83az
(12-17-2020, 03:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 03:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm kind of wondering why some people are pushing the competency-based thing so hard lately.  I honestly don't understand it.  I mean, I definitely understand the cost-factor; but especially for newbies, that's not a great thing to tell them right off the bat.  People need to understand the downside of it too, and all anyone says are the upsides.  If a new person to the forum hasn't proven to be able to finish even 1 course quickly, how in the world can you in good conscience encourage someone to sign up for CB??

I don't think anyone is advising anyone else with zero credits to immediately hop on a competency-based degree. But people do need to know their options. If it takes you a whole year to finish 30 credits at UMPI after completing Sophia, that's $8400 and still possibly cheaper than at least TESU.

That would be 6 terms so an entire year - literally. You'd have to go very sloooooowly to complete 10 classes in 6 terms. And remember, you don't have to take classes anywhere else. You can take everything Sophia offers and transfer it in. Right now that's $149 for an entire year.
(12-17-2020, 03:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm kind of wondering why some people are pushing the competency-based thing so hard lately. I honestly don't understand it. I mean, I definitely understand the cost-factor; but especially for newbies, that's not a great thing to tell them right off the bat. People need to understand the downside of it too, and all anyone says are the upsides. If a new person to the forum hasn't proven to be able to finish even 1 course quickly, how in the world can you in good conscience encourage someone to sign up for CB??

Competency-based programmes can also be a bit deceptive. Not in an intentional way, but often your first term or two you've got all the gusto and enthusiasm, AND your course load will likely be the easier courses. After that . . . well, I prefer to wait until people have actually completed their competency programme before putting much stock in recommendations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 225 11 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 157 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 5 133 Yesterday, 12:35 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 139 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 274 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 269 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 4 168 04-19-2024, 06:22 PM
  Bus 150 - Sophia didn't transfer layermonkey 5 302 04-19-2024, 03:17 PM
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,529 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,447 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley