Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
UMPI
(10-13-2020, 01:39 PM)missbootyfull Wrote: I start at umpi on the 26th! I'm so excited! It's awesome this program exists.

I seriously cannot wait! Lol

I started on August 31st and am really enjoying it. I like being able to work on my own schedule and get through more than 1 or 2 classes in a term. I will complete 4 courses plus some on Sophia. I had a few vacations and weekend getaways during the term also. I couldn't do that when I was attending CSU Global because they are on such a strict schedule and you write a paper every freaking week. Then the discussions with citations.....they took forever! No required discussions at UMPI. There's only one assignment. It's a big one, but it covers everything you went over in the course. What are you majoring in?
(10-13-2020, 02:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 01:39 PM)missbootyfull Wrote: I start at umpi on the 26th! I'm so excited! It's awesome this program exists.

I started on August 31st and am really enjoying it. I like being able to work on my own schedule and get through more than 1 or 2 classes in a term. I will complete 4 courses plus some on Sophia. I had a few vacations and weekend getaways during the term also. I couldn't do that when I was attending CSU Global because they are on such a strict schedule and you write a paper every freaking week. Then the discussions with citations.....they took forever! No required discussions at UMPI. There's only one assignment. It's a big one, but it covers everything you went over in the course. What are you majoring in?

Thats awesome you were able to complete 4 classes even taking short brakes. I rather do one big project like UMPI has than every week lol. I am doing the BLS - Accounting minor myself since I have a lot of random credits. Smile  What about you?
(10-13-2020, 08:08 PM)missbootyfull Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 02:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Thats awesome you were able to complete 4 classes even taking short brakes. I rather do one big project like UMPI has than every week lol. I am doing the BLS - Accounting minor myself since I have a lot of random credits. Smile  What about you?

I'm in the BLS degree with minors in Management Information Systems and Project Management. In case you don't already know, if you still need gen eds filled, you can stake them elsewhere and transfer them in while you're taking classes at UMPI. You still need to complete 30 credits at UMPI.
I finished my first term a few weeks ago and am now in my second term. I completed 4 courses during my first term. I was doing several Sophia classes at the same time and enjoying the end of summer so I didn't really push myself much. This term, I've already completed 3 courses and we still have 5 weeks left in the term. I am aiming for 6 courses this term.

I found the grading of the papers and projects to be very fair. I like that we can subject a rough draft of the paper or project and get feedback from the professor before submitting the final paper/project which is the only grade you receive in the course. I have added a third minor which should help me with the graduate program they're adding in January. I will be staying for grad school when I complete my BLS in the spring. I am really enjoying their program. I don't find it to be crazy stressful. I get to move about at my own pace which is nice. Feel free to ask me anything about UMPI and I'm happy to answer or put you in touch with folks on campus.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch
Applied for graduation today! We have to apply by December for graduation in May. I will have completed with my bachelor's degree with 3 minors (2 I added this term) in 3 terms (each term is 8 weeks).

I have to say I LOVE this competency based format. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I survived Sophia so I thought I had nothing to lose and gave it a shot. I'll be done with my courses in less time than it would have taken me to complete the degree I was in at CSU Global because you can only take 2 courses per term there and they are schedule based...you write a TON of papers there as well. I've actually taken extra courses that looked interesting and aren't necessary for my degree. I will need to find a few more interesting courses for the spring term since I will only have 3 courses left. I won't have anything to do for the full term.

I'm checking to see if my degree will be conferred at the end of the term or the end of the semester. I plan on staying and going for the MA in Organizational Leadership they are launching in January. Then I'm off to Capella or Walden for a MBA with a Project Management concentration. I want a competency based program for the MBA as well. I really like this format!
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • dfrecore, jch, openair
Wow, that's wonderful! 3 terms, I reckon it's like $1400/each term, so it was $4200 total for competency based and about 24 weeks! Amazing deal! I'm glad you liked the program, as I recall, your post is probably the only one I've seen about someone completing a degree from UMPI using their competency based option on this board... Brandman also offers the same MAOL, I wonder how their courses compare with this particular one... do you look at course content before choosing or going for the degree? I sometimes look at what courses are offered at each program and see if the same courses I would like to before jumping into it...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jch
(11-18-2020, 06:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow, that's wonderful! 3 terms, I reckon it's like $1400/each term, so it was $4200 total for competency based and about 24 weeks! Amazing deal!  I'm glad you liked the program, as I recall, your post is probably the only one I've seen about someone completing a degree from UMPI using their competency based option on this board... Brandman also offers the same MAOL, I wonder how their courses compare with this particular one... do you look at course content before choosing or going for the degree?  I sometimes look at what courses are offered at each program and see if the same courses I would like to before jumping into it...

We don't get to see the course content until we're live in a course. We have an idea what the final assessment will include based on info from our advisor. We have course descriptions, but I never put much faith in the course description because every instructor is different and so. few seem to teach exactly what is written. 

I really wish there were more competency based master's degrees out there. I really like this format. I think many people would. Yes, it takes discipline. No one holds your hand. However, you can cruise through the program as well. If you need to go slow, you can do that as well. You're not stuck on an 8 week or 15 week semester dragging along with mundane assignments. 

I would have finished my degree in 2 terms, but I added 2 more minors so it was a few more classes. I knew I wouldn't finish this term with the extras minors but I am ok with that because I am looking ahead to grad school. 

I've seen a few on here from my searches who attended or thought about attending UMPI. I haven't seen anyone complete their program though. Maybe someone has and I didn't find their thread on my searches. I am really glad I made the transfer from CSU Global. I saved a TON of $$$$. CSU Global is $1,050 per 3 credit course. UMPI is $1,400 for 8 weeks. I'm on track to complete 7 courses this term. Last term I completed 4 courses. I also get breaks! CSU Global doesn't have many breaks. We get a weekend in between every term at a minimum. We have a month off from mid December until mid January which is nice. I have no idea what to do with all of that free time! Maybe work on some Sophia for fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch
Today I was informed that I was eligible to apply to the UMPI graduate program. It looks like I will complete my undergrad degree in March during Spring Term 1 (January-March) and they will let me begin the grad program in Spring Term 2 (March-May) even though my bachelor's degree won't be conferred until May at the end of Spring Term 2 (the end of the Spring Semester).

PS I did go ahead and apply. I shouldn't have a problem being accepted since I have a 4.0 at UMPI already and I left CSU Global with a 4.0 after 4 terms.

I can't remember if I mentioned a library for UMPI. YourPace students do have access to a digital library. You do have to login to use it so you do need to be an enrolled student. I have used it a bit for some assignments and found a lot of journal articles I couldn't find at CSU Global so they must have additional journals they pay for. They also have audio books and ebooks available.
Hi
Do you know which graduate programs they are planning to offer?
Thanks
(11-19-2020, 05:22 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: Hi
Do you know which graduate  programs they are planning to offer?
Thanks

They are offering an MA in Organizational Leadership beginning in January. 

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...t=big+news

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 242 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 10 342 8 hours ago
Last Post: k681
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 264 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 54 5,185 04-09-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 370 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 61,820 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 313 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 295 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 335 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 1,012 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567