Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USAF/SSgt - Taking the Trial
Hello,

Just thought while I was taking my break I would post an intro.

I'm an Air Force SSgt currently deployed. I did college quite some time ago until the standard sob-story slapped me in the face and I joined the Air Force. I haven't done any school work since I joined, and none of my college credits are transferable to my CCAF (Air Force version of an Associates Degree).

I never actually planned to start college again. The career I want is freelance. I consider myself an above average web designer and I make "hobby-level" payments from Google for ad publishing. I only have a handful of design jobs lined up but maybe one day that will pick up.

The original reason I signed up here is not because I was motivated to get a degree. It's simply because my supervisor wouldn't stop nagging me until I agreed to take a class. I told him I would take one only if he did (I figured he wouldn't since he's already one semester away from his Masters)... Lo-and-behold he still signed us both up for an exam this coming Monday.

I'm not one who enjoys failure, so whether or not I'm driven by a motivation to get a degree - I will still give this my all. Especially because my supervisor is taking such an aggressive step in mentoring me. He has earned my respect and I'll try not to let him down.

I ran across this site because library guides don't have the structure I need to cram and pass a CLEP with only two days time. I needed something that's quick and gives me what I need to know right away. All I need to do is focus and retain what I read. That's why I'm here at IC.

I'll be taking an English Composition CLEP. If I fail- at least I will know how to gauge the window of time I need before taking an exam. I'll probably stick around and try out a couple more to see how things go.

Anyways- my breaks over. Time to start studying again.
Great post and welcome to the dark side. Sometimes it is just best to jump into the deep end of the pool...even if you are pushed! There are lots of posts about the English Comp exam so be sure to read them all. The most important part is to be ready for the 5 paragraph essay. A vague statement will pop up (after you get a short stretch break) about media and values or not everyone should recycle etc. You have to agree or disagree..they really do not care which one- just follow through with some reasons that make sense. Take or ask for a blank paper so you can write out some notes before you start your rant. You can not begin to guess which one you will get but I did practice with some standard opening sentences for the intro, each of the three supporting paragraphs and then the conclusion. I felt that if I had a smooth transition from paragraph to paragraph it might keep me from totally freaking out. In the end, it was the fastest 45 minutes of my life. I used every second of it.

The first part of the test is not too hard if you have a pretty solid sense of how a sentence should read. The practice tests on Petersons.com/airforce are really good and much harder than the test. If you don't know about the Petersons test site post here and you will get pointed in the right direction.

Good luck and report in to let us know how you feel it goes (you do not get the grade on this one until a few weeks later if you do the essay).
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="6"]Joanne[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"] all exams completed in FEBUARY 2009
Human Growth & Development - 73 English Comp w/ Essay CLEP - 74 Educational Psych - CLEP...69
Social Psychology - TECEP Behavior Modif in Counseling -TECEP
Psychology of Personality - TECEP Experimental Psychology - TECEP Substance Abuse - DSST 441

all exams completed in MARCH 2009
Foundations of Counseling -DSST - 64 ALEKS Statistics for Behavior Sciences Organizational

[U]DONE! Bachelors of Arts in Psychology as of March 10! // Graduated June 2009[/U]

Moving On:
Off to Hawaii to Celebrate- March 14 / Start Masters in Education - April 1 / Praxis 1 - April 27/ Praxis 2 - July 2009 - 190 out of 200
Liberty University - Masters in Teaching - Elementary Ed - 30 credits completed as of February 2010. Love the School, Program, Staff and Courses! GRADUATING IN MAY WITH MASTERS IN TEACHING !

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Remember if you don't pass English Comp.. You should be able to take the Freshman English Clep... This site has helped me so much and i am only 2 cleps away from my CCAF.. I am no smarter then anyone else I am just driven to get it done.. Just find something to motivate you and you will definetly find yourself knocking cleps out! My sister is a SSgt in Mildenhall and she pushed me to get on this site. At first I wasn't a believer but ever since I passed 3 cleps in 3 weeks I feel great! Knock em out buddy!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking a break between Associates and Bachelors mps2015 8 3,241 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  Passing NUC495 and other upper level classes without taking 100/200 level classes Randy8876 0 1,567 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Randy8876
  USAF and the ACT OfficerA 1 934 01-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Last Post: smf6824
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,966 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  (USAF) Other than instructor duty and cross-training (I think), what's CCAF for? OfficerA 5 1,632 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  USAF OTS application - No GPA through TESC cframe 18 3,182 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Mexirican007
  Colleges that accept CLEP in missouri without taking a semester kbk1061 1 1,191 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  From High School to USAF Fighter Pilot cframe 23 3,670 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Vandalet
  Taking Clep Tests on Active Duty? Excelmywayup 27 4,537 05-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Applying to USAF OTS 15%Luck 8 1,812 03-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Last Post: JBjunior