Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uexcel Exams
I finally got my evals done at Excelsior. I now need 5 lower and 17 upper level credits in Humanities, Social Sciences/History and WER then I am done.
Now my question is, which requirement will CLEP A&I literature fulfill (albeit partly), the social science or humanities? Thanks for your input.
BS Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
I believe that is Humanities....
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Humanities, lower level. If you take the ECE English Composition for the WER, you'll end up with three more lower-level Humanities credits that you apparently don't need, but oh well.

For the upper-level credits, you'll need DSSTs and ECEs. Civil War and Reconstruction and History of the Soviet Union will get you started with six SocSci/Hist credits.

-Gary-
Thanks Shotojuku and gcalvin, now here is part of the eval report; I have noted down in blue the exams I think I would need to meet the requirements. Again your input is much appreciated.

Listed below are the requirements you still need to complete:

General Education (Arts & Sciences Requirement)
5.00 semester hours at the lower level
17.00 semester hours at the upper level

Distribution Requirements
9.00 in Humanities (ECE/DSST World Religions, CLEP Humanities)
6.00 in Social Science/History (Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union and Civil War and Reconstruction, will these two DSST/ECE suffice here?)
or
6.00 in Humanities
9.00 in Social Science/History

Written English Requirement
3.00 semester hours in Written English (the ECE English Comp Exam which satisfies this is lower level right? If so, I would need another 2 or 3 credit exam, say Intro to Sociology, to make up the 5 lower level credit requirement )
ECE English Comp is 6 credits. Besides fulfilling the WER, it also gives you 3 lower-level Humanities credits. CLEP A&I Lit and CLEP Humanities are 6 Humanities credits each, but lower level, so it seems you'd end up with more lower-level credits than you need.

I guess I'm not quite clear on your needs. Are the 15 Humanites and SocSci/Hist credits in addition to the 5 lower level and 17 upper level General Ed credits? If so, are those 15 lower or upper level or a mix?

Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union and Civil War and Reconstruction are both DSSTs, and are three upper-level history credits each. I scored an A on Civil War and Reconstruction, but I didn't take R&F of the USSR -- it has a reputation of being tough. Research Methods in Psychology is an upper-level three-credit Social Sciences ECE that's quite passable (you should have a decent command of Statistics, though). Take a thorough look at the Student Guide and Assessment Catalog -- that's the official list of what exams cover what credits.

-Gary-
Thanks again gcalvin.

I actually need a total of 22 credits, 5 lower level and 17 upper level to fulfill the General Ed(Arts and Sciences) requirements.

Now the distribution requirements are:
9 in Humanities
6 in Social Science/History

or

6 in Humanities
9 in Social Science/History

and

WER

and of course the 1 credit INL 102 Information Literacy.

I've emailed my advisor for clarification.
OK, well ECE English Composition will give you six lower-level credits by itself, so the rest need to be upper-level. You'll probably end up doing more SocSci/Hist than Humanities, simply because there are more upper-level exams to choose from. CLEP doesn't have any upper-level exams at all, DSST doesn't have any in the Humanities, and only three (Civil War and Reconstruction, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, Money and Banking) in SocSci/History. Basically you'll need to take a total of five ECEs or DSSTs at the upper level, which you'll choose from the Student Guide and Assessment Catalog. Those five exams will give you your 6/9 or 9/6 credits, and added to your six Composition and your one Information Literacy credit, you have your 22 credits.

Whoops, I'm wrong -- six Composition and one I/L are still lower level. You'll need one more upper-level exam, and you'll end up with 25 total, 18 UL and 7 LL.

-Gary-
Yes gcalvin, I figured I'll have to take 6 UL Social Sci/History and Humanities to satisfy the 17 UL requirement and the ECE WER (6LL) and INL (1LL) will more than cover the 5LL requirement.

Here is what I have in mind:

Social Sci/History:
ECE Cultural Diversity (3UL Credits)
ECE World Conflict Since 1900 (3UL Credits)
ECE World Population (3UL Credits)
ECE Organizational Behavior (3UL Credits)

Humanities:
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice (3UL Credits)
ECE Religions of the World (3UL Credits)

Another option could be going with ECE American Dream (6UL Credits) to cover either the Humanities or Social Sci/History requirement as it is listed as a Humanities as well as a Social Science/History Exam.

I would've loved to go with DSST's Rise and Fall of USSR and Civil War and Reconstruction but that would mean driving down to the States as there are no DSST testing centres here in Ontario, Canada.

Again, thanks for your input.
Looks like a good plan. Make sure you get it approved by your advisor, in order to be 100% sure you have no conflicts with previously earned credits. For instance, I'm a little concerned about the Ethics exam -- if you didn't have Ethics already, they should have listed that as a requirement too.

-Gary-
I was just looking at the ECE Exams at EC, and I noticed at least 3 more exams listed as Uexcel ™ Examinations?

They are Poly Sci, Calc, Psy101, anyone see these exams or am I just blind?

If you have info please share!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,396 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,756 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU/ACE/Microsoft Exams AwardTour 10 2,939 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,615 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,890 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
  UExcel exams Llgdavis 4 1,956 03-14-2018, 05:02 PM
  UExcel & ACE?? a2jc4life 5 1,663 01-26-2018, 06:16 PM
  TCEP / UEXCEL question jb111 5 1,909 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM
  Does it matter what Clep exams I take? Keshi 4 1,395 01-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Last Post: cookderosa