Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
University withholding transcript
If it were me, I think I would be focusing on paying off my debts to the previous school before trying to get assistance to shell out more funds on another school.

Basically, your plan is to get funds from one, pay off the debt from the previous, and then be in debt again to the new school?

I am not familiar with the U.S. school loan system, but don't they check someones previous outstanding debt before shelling out additional funds?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(04-12-2019, 08:12 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: If it were me, I think I would be focusing on paying off my debts to the previous school before trying to get assistance to shell out more funds on another school.

Basically, your plan is to get funds from one, pay off the debt from the previous, and then be in debt again to the new school?

I am not familiar with the U.S. school loan system, but don't they check someones previous outstanding debt before shelling out additional funds?

The point of an education loan is to not be in debt to the school, but to a bank/lender. So they would be getting a loan to pay ALL of their schools, including the one they currently owe money to.

That said, you have a valid point. That's the point of working with the New Mexico schools. They could get a Pell Grant, pay for courses there, and still have money left to use towards the outstanding debt, all without having to borrow.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-12-2019, 09:38 AM)davewill Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 08:12 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: If it were me, I think I would be focusing on paying off my debts to the previous school before trying to get assistance to shell out more funds on another school.

The point of an education loan is to not be in debt to the school, but to a bank/lender. So they would be getting a loan to pay ALL of their schools, including the one they currently owe money to.

That said, you have a valid point. That's the point of working with the New Mexico schools. They could get a Pell Grant, pay for courses there, and still have money left to use towards the outstanding debt, all without having to borrow.
With the direct loan system, you're in debt to the federal government, which is better than being in debt to a bank. Neither of the student loan debts can be discharged in bankruptcy, but the federal loans come with more protections.

I was in debt to WIU when I received financial aid at three different schools. I used my refund check from the Alamo Colleges (or maybe it was Central Texas College) to pay off the debt so that I could graduate from TESC. The federal financial aid system does not check, and probably doesn't have the ability to check, if you're in debt to a school. There's no credit check for Direct Loans.

My debt was smaller, though. I only owed $2,700. To be honest, they wouldn't negotiate like they did with credit card debt.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-11-2019, 06:56 PM)davewill Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 06:39 PM)cookderosa Wrote: ... IMO, you can probably REPLACE the credit you already have on your old transcript in half the time for hardly any money- by the time you're ready to enroll at TESU, you won't even need them, but if you have them at your disposal, you might as well request the transcript and see what can be used.   ...

Replacing the credit does no good. They still need the transcript in order to graduate.

If you misunderstood what I meant, then the OP probably did too.
I don't mean replace them INSTEAD of obtaining a transcript- I mean replace them WHILE waiting to pay off the debt. If it takes a year to get this cleaned up, there is no reason to sit there and twiddle your thumbs- earn the credit now and get some traction.
(04-12-2019, 02:42 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 06:39 PM)cookderosa Wrote: ... IMO, you can probably REPLACE the credit you already have on your old transcript in half the time for hardly any money- by the time you're ready to enroll at TESU, you won't even need them, but if you have them at your disposal, you might as well request the transcript and see what can be used.   ...

Replacing the credit does no good. They still need the transcript in order to graduate.

I don't mean replace them INSTEAD of obtaining a transcript- I mean replace them WHILE waiting to pay off the debt.  If it takes a year to get this cleaned up, there is no reason to sit there and twiddle your thumbs- earn the credit now and get some traction.

Wouldn't that be double paying and putting in double effort for credits you're going to eventually receive?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-12-2019, 03:21 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 02:42 PM)cookderosa Wrote: If you misunderstood what I meant, then the OP probably did too.
I don't mean replace them INSTEAD of obtaining a transcript- I mean replace them WHILE waiting to pay off the debt.  If it takes a year to get this cleaned up, there is no reason to sit there and twiddle your thumbs- earn the credit now and get some traction.

Wouldn't that be double paying and putting in double effort for credits you're going to eventually receive?

Exactly. Any alternative credits they earn that duplicate credits on the missing transcript will just be ignored when their transcript shows up.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(04-12-2019, 02:42 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I don't mean replace them INSTEAD of obtaining a transcript- I mean replace them WHILE waiting to pay off the debt. If it takes a year to get this cleaned up, there is no reason to sit there and twiddle your thumbs- earn the credit now and get some traction.

Why replace credit that you already have? If you have to get a transcript for it anyway, what's the point replacing it?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Kind of off topic but related since I'm still learning how all this college stuff works.

Can someone give me some insight into why schools want all your old transcripts to begin with?

If I took a course at some random school and it has nothing to do with my current degree, why do they need the transcripts?
TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress) 
Started from scratch - 01/2019 - Completion - ??

Credits: 69/120
SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
Sophia: Managing Conflict, Effective Teams, Student Success - 3cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Institutes: Ethics - 2cr
CSMLearn: The CSM Course - 3cr
ALEKS: College Algebra - 3cr
(04-13-2019, 01:05 PM)Mil0 Wrote: Kind of off topic but related since I'm still learning how all this college stuff works.

Can someone give me some insight into why schools want all your old transcripts to begin with?

If I took a course at some random school and it has nothing to do with my current degree, why do they need the transcripts?

There are many reasons. Here are a handful that I can think of off the top of my head...
  • They want to understand what courses you have taken to evaluate the equivalency of courses at the new school
  • They want to make sure you don't already have a degree in the subject you're pursuing
  • They want to understand how successful (or not) you were in completing courses/degrees to gauge the likelihood that you will graduate from their school
  • They want to calculate your GPA to determine if you qualify for their programs and/or if you are on academic probation at another institution and why
  • They want to know if you owe money to another school. Colleges tend to work together on this to ensure that such bills are paid before new degrees are awarded
I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but that's just the ones that came up in 5 minutes while I responded to this.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(04-13-2019, 01:05 PM)Mil0 Wrote: Kind of off topic but related since I'm still learning how all this college stuff works.

There are a couple of reasons. The first is to enforce policies. For instance those against multiple degrees in the same discipline or too many degrees of the same type (for example TESU won't award a third bachelor's degree). Also, some schools won't give you credit for a lesser course if you've already taken a higher one, like trying to take Algebra after taking Calculus or Beginning Spanish after Spanish 3.

The second reason is to help other schools collect overdue tuition and fees like we're discussing here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University protests and working past retirement age... bjcheung77 5 229 3 hours ago
Last Post: RJ77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 13 1,803 4 hours ago
Last Post: Charles Fout
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,742 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 365 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,868 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 805 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,364 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,854 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 430 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 629 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar