Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upset over the Institutes Insurance Ethics Course
I just found this forum yesterday. I went and took this today and passed with a 72. I'm very happy as this saved me a lot of time and money. Thank you for everyone that put steps on where to take it and the ACE steps. I greatly appreciate it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Raftingdon2's post:
  • alab21, Zachcleigh
(01-12-2020, 02:17 PM)Raftingdon2 Wrote: I just found this forum yesterday.   I went and took this today and passed with a 72.  I'm very happy as this saved me a lot of time and money.  Thank you for everyone that put steps on where to take it and the ACE steps.  I greatly appreciate it.

There are 2 courses available. Which one is the course you need to take to get 3 credits? I took Ethical Decision Making in Risk and Insurance exam and passed without doing the modules. Took Cyber ethics and have a real estate license) 

Do I have to take the other course too, Ethical Guidelines for CPCUs to get the ACE credit?

(03-11-2020, 08:14 AM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 02:17 PM)Raftingdon2 Wrote: I just found this forum yesterday.   I went and took this today and passed with a 72.  I'm very happy as this saved me a lot of time and money.  Thank you for everyone that put steps on where to take it and the ACE steps.  I greatly appreciate it.

There are 2 courses available. Which one is the course you need to take to get 3 credits? I took Ethical Decision Making in Risk and Insurance exam and passed without doing the modules. Took Cyber ethics and have a real estate license) 

Do I have to take the other course too, Ethical Guidelines for CPCUs to get the ACE credit?

Looks like I took the wrong course test, I only get credit for the Ethical Guidelines for CPCUs course.  Sad  Well, extra knowledge never hurt anyone and I didn't study so, no harm done. Will give the other one a shot later. Brain fried!!!!
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
(07-05-2018, 06:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I really hate it when people say that a course/exam is SO easy, and they did it in 15 minutes and passed with like 90%!!  Instead, I try to preface what I say with WHY it was easy for me, personally, or whatever, to let people know that it might not be easy for them.  So when people ask "what's the easiest Study.com course?" or "what's the easiest CLEP exam?" I try to reply with "what are you good at?"  For most people, they're going to find a course or two easy, and some not so easy, and some really hard; and it's totally different for everyone which category each course/exam falls into.

Also, I find that some people are really good test-takers, and some aren't.  Also, some have tons of experience, and some don't.  That makes a difference.

So, if I were you, I would probably try again, this time going a bit faster, and not stress over it.  You may have OVER studied and just put way too much emphasis on it, and it backfired on you.  That test should not take 2 1/2 hours.

Excellent post.

I cannot stress the subtext of your message enough.

Posting about how quickly you completed a course only serves as a thinly-veiled attempt to call attention to yourself and boost your own ego ("Hey, everyone, I did this course in like 4 minutes. Look at me, I'm like all super-smart n' stuff").

The reality is, those types of posts only accomplish one thing: they succesfully get the course(s) in question downgraded by the schools themselves so that they'll no longer accept them as credit as part of a degree plan.

That's it. That's literally all that will happen. Your "humble brag" only served to make it more difficult for those that are walking the path behind you (FYI - the schools DO monitor this forum).

Additionally, I fully support dfrecore's suggestion on how to discuss course results; in fact, I would emplore the mods here to make such a post the required standard while deleting "5-minute credit"-type posts - issuing warnings to repeat offenders.

With the various backgrounds that we all possess, some courses will naturallly be easier for us - as individuals - than others.

It would be extremely helpful to others to post about WHAT in your background allowed you to have such a high degree of success in a particular course.

Some helpful ways to "mix-n-match" your way to this:
  • Years of topic-specific industry experience
  • Certifications you may have
  • Related prior coursework (that may or may not have been completed)
  • Non-credit/non-certification training you may have had
  • Did a hobby you have help you understand the course concepts?
  • High school courses you may have taken
  • Openware/open-sourced courses you may have found relevant
  • Any other previous exposure to course concepts that you found helpful
SInce we're on the topic of The Institutes' Ethics course, I'll post a relevant example of why I was successful in this specific course:

I'm 45. I've been employed in the same industry (manufacturing) since I was 19.

Every employer I've had included training in ethics and specific company policies for ethics as part of their new hire orientation package.

Many actually required ethics as an annual training topic.

So it's a fair statement to say that during my 26-year career, I've had considerable exposure to ethics training.

For this course, I carefully read through the opening commentary on morals, values, and ethics. I found that section well put-together and I actually learned some new talking points from that content - it provided a slightly different (and less dry) perspective on the fundamental concepts of ethics than my annual training.

For the pratical application section of the course, I was able to rely exclusively on my training and experience to carry me through - it was identical to my years of corporate exposure.

To summarize, I was able to combine considerable previous exposure with the take-away of a small amount of new learning to get through this course with relative proficiency - passing on the first attempt.

I would not expect someone straight out of high school (or not far removed) to simply breeeze through this course.

With that said, I'll end my rant; however, I would urge the mods to stongly consider the content of this post - and that of dfrecore's post that I quoted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes terryd5150's post:
  • cwendy111
That course is driving me crazy. I've taken it 4 times; the latest being yesterday & I scored a 68. *rolls eyes*

Hopefully the fifth time is the charm.
Completed:
Pierpont Community & Technical College | BOG A.A.S. | AOE: Communication [Graduated 12/08/23]
111 college credits as of January 2024 [40 credits completed @ 4-yr college; 71 credits from CLEP, Coopersmith, InstantCert, Lawshelf, Sophia, & TEEX]

In progress: 
UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies [Management minor]
Sophia: Human Biology Lab, French I & Business Communication

(03-12-2020, 08:15 AM)Michelle779 Wrote: That course is driving me crazy. I've taken it 4 times; the latest being yesterday & I scored a 68. *rolls eyes*

You got this!!!! Don’t give up!!! Download the review notes and keep them open for reference next time and use Control Find to locate topics of interest.

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
SL - Personal Finance 
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
AAS Nursing
[-] The following 1 user Likes cwendy111's post:
  • Michelle779
(03-12-2020, 10:36 AM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 08:15 AM)Michelle779 Wrote: That course is driving me crazy. I've taken it 4 times; the latest being yesterday & I scored a 68. *rolls eyes*

You got this!!!! Don’t give up!!! Download the review notes and keep them open for reference next time and use Control Find to locate topics of interest.

Thank you! I'm going to give it another try when I get home tonight. Hopefully I'll finally pass.
Completed:
Pierpont Community & Technical College | BOG A.A.S. | AOE: Communication [Graduated 12/08/23]
111 college credits as of January 2024 [40 credits completed @ 4-yr college; 71 credits from CLEP, Coopersmith, InstantCert, Lawshelf, Sophia, & TEEX]

In progress: 
UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies [Management minor]
Sophia: Human Biology Lab, French I & Business Communication

(03-12-2020, 11:31 AM)Michelle779 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 10:36 AM)cwendy111 Wrote:

Thank you! I'm going to give it another try when I get home tonight. Hopefully I'll finally pass.

Here is the link to the study guide I was talking about. This study guide is really good from their website. 
https://learning.theinstitutes.org/plugi...Map_RN.pdf
It really helped me. Just open in a separate tab, CTRL F or CMD F(Mac) to search for topics and breathe! Good luck! I didn't get a 95, but I passed it. You can do it! Heart Heart

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing
[-] The following 1 user Likes cwendy111's post:
  • Michelle779

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia - New Business Ethics Course lumina 14 3,126 10-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  PHI-400 Managerial Ethics (Equivalency Only) mog538 0 335 02-22-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Sophia - Intro to Ethics ss20ts 25 6,302 09-15-2022, 08:12 PM
Last Post: RhondaG
  The Institutes and Credley a_dblu 4 935 07-26-2021, 12:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Institutes - Ethics 312: Missing Acclaim badge question answered BadBradsBBQ 10 1,999 03-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Old Guy
  Need UL Ethics Course Credit mrskitty 11 1,501 09-23-2020, 08:13 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  SDC UL Computer Science & Management Ethics Course Sequence vanglorious 5 917 08-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: vanglorious
  The Institutes 22gunsonfire 25 3,485 05-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Old Guy
  List of ACE-certified courses available through The Institutes ctcarl 3 1,029 05-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  The Institutes Ethics - 2 courses? cwendy111 10 3,368 03-19-2020, 04:35 PM
Last Post: TheAlternativeBachelor