Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors
Have BS and MBA in Finance and am working on an MS in Data Science (which I may change to Applied Statistics).  Can I use credits from my grad degrees for a BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU?  I think Excelsior will not let you use the credits if they have been used for another degree.  Thanks.
(02-15-2019, 01:57 PM)satori Wrote: Have BS and MBA in Finance and am working on an MS in Data Science (which I may change to Applied Statistics).  Can I use credits from my grad degrees for a BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU?  I think Excelsior will not let you use the credits if they have been used for another degree.  Thanks.

TESU will let you use the credits, but you'll need to meet the requirements for new credits. New credits are credits earned after the last degree of any level is conferred. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-15-2019, 02:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 01:57 PM)satori Wrote: Have BS and MBA in Finance and am working on an MS in Data Science (which I may change to Applied Statistics).  Can I use credits from my grad degrees for a BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU?  I think Excelsior will not let you use the credits if they have been used for another degree.  Thanks.

TESU will let you use the credits, but you'll need to meet the requirements for new credits. New credits are credits earned after the last degree of any level is conferred. 

I think that basically translates as you can only use credits that have not been used in support of a prior degree (one that has already been conferred). If you want to use them towards a degree at TESU they must be new credits. Most colleges (like Excelsior) have similar policies in that regard... double dipping is not allowed.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I think that basically translates as you can only use credits that have not been used in support of a prior degree (one that has already been conferred). If you want to use them towards a degree at TESU they must be new credits. Most colleges (like Excelsior) have similar policies in that regard... double dipping is not allowed.

That's not what I'm saying. TESU gave me credits for courses I completed in my first master's degree program; however, they didn't count toward the new credit requirement. There are a lot of people using credits from associate's degrees toward their first bachelor's degree and credits from their first bachelor's degree toward their second bachelor's degree. You still need to complete 24 new credits.

Can anyone point to Excelsior having a policy against "double dipping?" I haven't seen it. They, like TESU, require a minimum number of new credits. That does not mean you can't use old credits. They aren't going to make you start from scratch.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
AND, the 24 new credits must be in the AOS. And you must meet all of the degree requirements.

At TESU, their 2nd degree program waives all GE's, but there may be additional requirements (like College Algebra, Stats, Physics, etc.) that are GE's but still part of the degree requirement. If you didn't have those courses, those would be required in addition to the 24 new credits in the AOS.

For Comp Sci & Math, there will be some overlapping requirements, so you can use Calc I for both for instance.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I used a 3 SH AMU Grad course at Excelsior College for my 2nd BS HSEM degree.  Not really sure their real rules.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Ideas

I think Merlin is right- TESU only lets you do that when the credits haven't been used in a degree - not sure about EC
(02-15-2019, 10:38 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I think Merlin is right- TESU only lets you do that when the credits haven't been used in a degree - not sure about EC

Thanks.  So as long as the degree has not been conferred yet they will give me credit?

There must be some nuance if this is the policy, as TESU clearly allows up to 96 credits from one bachelor's to be used in a second. Perhaps it only applies if "downgrading" degrees (i.e. getting a BA after an MA)?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-15-2019, 11:07 PM)satori Wrote:

Thanks.  So as long as the degree has not been conferred yet they will give me credit?

I believe that is true, as long as we're talking about the "new credits" aspect (which is the last 24 credits of the degree). Based on what sanantone said (which sounds right to me) 96 credits can probably come from anywhere, even from previously awarded degrees.

Some degrees at TESU also allow a 9 credit "overlap" between degrees, which I believe will further reduce that 24 new credits requirement down to 15 credits. Though I'm not 100% sure how that works since I haven't looked at that section of the catalog in a while.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 167 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 244 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 472 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 499 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  So, about the TESU school logo on linkedin.. posabsolute 6 640 01-04-2024, 05:45 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 792 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  back to school bassel75 1 300 11-01-2023, 01:09 PM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 494 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM